User Tag List

Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thunder.tw View Post
    While I like the location and I agree that it is geographically central my only quibbles with the location are 1. Knight street traffic is horrid in the late afternoons. Basically from a traffic standpoint it's an equal pain in the ass to get to from most locations in the Lower Mainland. 2. It's not very accessable for transit users. Truthfully, these aren't really significant to me so I wouldn't worry at all. As far as a restarunt goes. I have a hard time seeing how it would be attractive to any clientile except people who are already there to play badminton.

Again, I'm totally ignorant of your business model so right now I'm simply looking forward to trying the place out the next time I'm in town as it looks like it's going to be a really nice gym.
    Its about a great badminton experience Not looking to win any Michelin stars at the moment, but I believe it will serve the needs of the badminton players more than adequately. It should complement the experience of playing badminton at Badminton Vancouver. As for those who take transit, you'll be happy to know that shortly, translink will be extending service to the island, currently it stops at the exit on Knight bridge to the island. From a traffic standpoint, those who live in Burnaby, Vancouver, North Vancouver and even Richmond, our location is a ideal. Thankfully, the access point to Mitchell island is almost right at the begining of the Knight bridge on the Vancouver side and the exit lane to the island is generally clear. Those who use the bridge often will know what I'm talking about, but yeah, I'll agree, Knight bridge like all other bridges can get congested.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Traffic congestion would be the same regardless since I go to Richmond to play badminton. The only problem is if there is an accident on the Knight St Bridge. I'm not sure how to get there other than the bridge. At least with Richmond...there are 2 other bridges you can cross.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I said the congestion isn't that big a deal unless you plan to play in the late afternoon. In terms of business model, I was referring to the badminton aspect of the business rather than the resteraunt. Are you planning on operating it as a private club like VRC or as a pay as you play venue like Richmond Pro et al?

The location will be a godsend to residents of Burnanby, New Westminster and Coquitlam. To folks living in Richmond and Vancouver West of Cambie, not so much. For us, it will be a matter of having a superior badminton experience that will be the draw.

All that aside, how is the parking situation? The Richmond gyms weren't great for parking. ACE was probably the best and Clear One was ok. Clear two was adequate (barely) but Richmond Pro could be a damn nightmare at times.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I said the congestion isn't that big a deal unless you plan to play in the late afternoon. In terms of business model, I was referring to the badminton aspect of the business rather than the resteraunt. Are you planning on operating it as a private club like VRC or as a pay as you play venue like Richmond Pro et al?
    Open to the public, hourly court rentals. There will be a slight break from the norm in terms of booking though, something I've always desired. Stay tuned.

The location will be a godsend to residents of Burnanby, New Westminster and Coquitlam. To folks living in Richmond and Vancouver West of Cambie, not so much. For us, it will be a matter of having a superior badminton experience that will be the draw.
    Location is just part of the equation. I'm hoping that all the attention to detail will draw in badminton enthusiasts from all over the lower mainland.
    All that aside, how is the parking situation? The Richmond gyms weren't great for parking. ACE was probably the best and Clear One was ok. Clear two was adequate (barely) but Richmond Pro could be a damn nightmare at times
    anybody else want to answer to this question? I know some of you (visor) are coming down to have a peek. Perhaps take some pictures and post them for thunder?

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Parking: tons in a spanking brand new lot... Probably 80 or so.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Parking: tons in a spanking brand new lot... Probably 80 or so.
    Nice...parking stalls are a plus.
    I hate the parking at ClearOne. Sometimes it's a zoo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My 2 cents worth...

I've been lurking and keeping an eye on this thread for a while. There are a few topics of interest:
    a) Location/Transportation
    While it is central within the Lower Mainland, CanuckDynasty is correct that there is only one way in and out of Mitchell Island so if the bridge is out for whatever reason, it will be difficult to get to. Having said that, I don't know if most people will be heading to the facility during peak hours (6:30 am to 9am and 3:30pm to 6pm) - I drive to work from Richmond to East Vancouver along Knight and there have been more than a few times where it has taken me hours to get home because of something on the bridge. Transit might be a problem but still better than no transit at all. Ace is a good location (as far as transit is concerned).

b) Restaurant/Cafe/Lounge - not looking for a 3-5 star place but one that serve good and reasonably priced food where we can hang out and chat after a session. Obviously it would be nice if it shows badminton matches (and BWF have improved in this regard as per the World Championships with HD video streaming and uploads).

c) Pro-shop - a must have and it's not to simply provide a place to sell equipment/supplies. It is required for stringing services. I agree that it is tough to compete with prices in Asia and yes, most folks would be getting their racquets from Asia as a lot of the players have relatives that come and go between here and Asia. It is possible to price the products competitively with Asian prices but it is almost impossible to do so if you getting your supplies through official channels (the wholesale prices are almost the same as the retail prices in Asia) although it is possible (depending on the brand and agent).

d) Pricing - still got to be competitive regardless whether the facility is a class better than the orders. Most of the general public aren't like the serious badminton players where they would be picky about lighting placement, floor conditions, etc.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was an accident on the Knight St Bridge one time in May (I think). It was impossible to get onto it at around 7:40pm. I had to detour to Arthur Lang cuz taffic was backed up everywhere. Normally I'm 10 minutes early but this time I was late at the courts arriving a 8:15pm.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^^The most recent Knight St. bridge accident was about 2 Tuesdays ago... south bound at around 6pm. Luckily I took Oak bridge to our usual 7pm baddy at ACE, but a few of my partners were over half hour late as they had to take side streets to Marine to Oak. So yeah, that is something to consider, especially around evening rush hour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'
    ve been lurking and keeping an eye on this thread for a while. There are a few topics of interest:
    Welcome to the thread!
    a) Location/Transportation
    While it is central within the Lower Mainland, CanuckDynasty is correct that there is only one way in and out of Mitchell Island so if the bridge is out for whatever reason, it will be difficult to get to. Having said that, I don't know if most people will be heading to the facility during peak hours (6:30 am to 9am and 3:30pm to 6pm) - I drive to work from Richmond to East Vancouver along Knight and there have been more than a few times where it has taken me hours to get home because of something on the bridge. Transit might be a problem but still better than no transit at all. Ace is a good location (as far as transit is concerned).
    Accidents on bridges are an unfortunate fact of life. I too have been stuck on them at times. Transit wise, one does not need to travel far into Mitchell island either East or West as we are located quite close to the exit of the bridge. I'm sure some others can attest to how close our location is to the bridge.

b) Restaurant/Cafe/Lounge - not looking for a 3-5 star place but one that serve good and reasonably priced food where we can hang out and chat after a session. Obviously it would be nice if it shows badminton matches (and BWF have improved in this regard as per the World Championships with HD video streaming and uploads).
    hanging out and chatting and generally socializing we placed very high on my priority list. After all, its not just about whacking birds back and forth, its about spending time with friends. I'll look into getting a feed for BWF matches.
    c) Pro-shop - a must have and it's not to simply provide a place to sell equipment/supplies. It is required for stringing services. I agree that it is tough to compete with prices in Asia and yes, most folks would be getting their racquets from Asia as a lot of the players have relatives that come and go between here and Asia. It is possible to price the products competitively with Asian prices but it is almost impossible to do so if you getting your supplies through official channels (the wholesale prices are almost the same as the retail prices in Asia) although it is possible (depending on the brand and agent).
    I agree, a professional stringer needs to be on hand for emergencies. It really is an unfortunate fact that wholesale prices here are the same as retail in Asia.
    d) Pricing - still got to be competitive regardless whether the facility is a class better than the orders. Most of the general public aren't like the serious badminton players where they would be picky about lighting placement, floor conditions, etc
    We're exploring some sort of grand opening special package, stay tune. Thanks for your feedback.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^The most recent Knight St. bridge accident was about 2 Tuesdays ago... south bound at around 6pm. Luckily I took Oak bridge to our usual 7pm baddy at ACE, but a few of my partners were over half hour late as they had to take side streets to Marine to Oak. So yeah, that is something to consider, especially around evening rush hour.
    Sorry to hear some of your partners were late visor. Thanks for sharing your knowledge regarding the parking situation. Its actually somewhere around 105 parking spots available. Parking was one of my biggest concerns before we broke ground.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bad-vancouver View Post
    Sorry to hear some of your partners were late visor. Thanks for sharing your knowledge regarding the parking situation. Its actually somewhere around 105 parking spots available. Parking was one of my biggest concerns before we broke ground.
    Bad-vancouver, belated welcome to BF. Same as WWC, I have been lurking this thread and following the development of your facility. There are a couple things a hope you will consider as well; parking security as one, amount the years, there are certainly cases of car break-ins happened in almost all the GVRD badminton facilities mostly during winter months, outdoor security camera may be a consideration? A more than adequate showering facility with rental lockers would be an added bonus as well.

Cheers

Ted

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Co-ed showers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanucksDynasty View Post
    Co-ed showers?
    I thought you wanted a family friendly facility?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tedski View Post
    Bad-vancouver, belated welcome to BF. Same as WWC, I have been lurking this thread and following the development of your facility. There are a couple things a hope you will consider as well; parking security as one, amount the years, there are certainly cases of car break-ins happened in almost all the GVRD badminton facilities mostly during winter months, outdoor security camera may be a consideration? A more than adequate showering facility with rental lockers would be an added bonus as well.

Cheers

Ted
    Hi Ted, welcome to the thread and thanks for coming out of the woodwork to be heard. Along with ample parking, the parking lot offers no hiding spots for would be thieves. As long as cars are driving into the lot, thieves will have no peace and quiet with which to do their business. The lot while well lit at night is also patrolled in the late hours by a security firm.

Clean, modern showers was one of the main feedback points we collected pre construction. Lockers and clean private showers? You want it? You got it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Accidents on bridges are an unfortunate fact of life. I too have been stuck on them at times. Transit wise, one does not need to travel far into Mitchell island either East or West as we are located quite close to the exit of the bridge. I'm sure some others can attest to how close our location is to the bridge.
    Oh I have seen the location and how close it is to the Vancouver side and I have no doubt that it is very possible to walk from the Vancouver end.

We're exploring some sort of grand opening special package, stay tune. Thanks for your feedback.
    Hey, I'm sure that there is no shortage of volunteers who are willing to come up and help "break-in" the courts for the grand opening

I am looking forward to the completion of the facility as it is very possible for me to drop in on the way home from work (instead of going straight home ) to play a few games.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanucksDynasty View Post
    Co-ed showers?
    Good God! I can't imangine wanting to see the people I play badminton with naked! Even in the case of the one or two I wouldn't mind getting a peek at, a Co-ed shower wouldn't achieve anything as having to see the rest naked would have forced me to gouge out my own eyes.

Thanks though, its 40 degrees C here and thanks to you, I've got chills.

Page 9 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast