Do we have to join a club to play badminton in Seoul?

Discussion in 'Japan / Korea' started by buptandy, Aug 3, 2011.

1. buptandy

buptandy New Member

Hi all,

I'm travelling in Seoul with my colleagues. We all like playing badminton. But as foreigners here, it's hard to find a place.

Do you know where we could play near Gangnam station? Whether the only way to play badminton in Seoul is to find and join a club? Could we just order a court and play only with my friends?

Thanks.

2. event

event Regular Member

I have addressed this question in response to negon's very similar query here. If you want a place with an admission fee, where you and your friends can show up at an off-peak hour, pay, and monopolize one court, I don't know of anywhere in the Gangnam area to do that. I know of only two places in Seoul like that: the Gyenam gym and the Magok gym. On the other hand, there seem to be plenty of such facilities in the outlying areas, such as Goyang, Yongin, and Suwon.

3. event

event Regular Member

There's a little more information here but it just shows that most of the gyms in the Gangnam area are in schools and are rented by clubs. As for paying to reserve a court, I've heard of it being done but not often and it wouldn't work in a gym a club has already rented from a school. Taehyeon might be able to tell you more on that.

4. buptandy

buptandy New Member

Hi event,

Thanks for you information. I will check those two gyms.

5. sainkr

sainkr Regular Member

Hi Event,

I sent a mail to Taehyeon, but the mail bounced back. Do you have any other way to contact him?

I am here in Seoul for 4 weeks and looking forward to play badminton with Koreans (I am from Hyderabad, India).

Thanks,
    Sai K

6. event

event Regular Member

Where in Seoul? If you're alone, you should be fine as long as you find a club near you. To do that, identify the area of the city you're in so we can tell you which of the 600 or so clubs to try. Many areas of Seoul have been helped with in the Badminton In Seoul thread, while there are also threads on (Shinchon area near Sogang University), Hanyang University, and Yeouido. If you're in a different part of town, then there will still be a club near you. It might be best to add the query to the Seoul thread, though.

7. sainkr

sainkr Regular Member

Hi Event,

I am living near to Chungmaro Rly Station...

I am alone and better doubles player (won couple of tournaments in Hyderabad in recent past at 35+ category); and also I need your support to buy a badminton raquet as I didn't bring my raquet.