Flying Clamp vs Fixed Clamp

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by kill895, Aug 3, 2011.

1. kill895

kill895 Regular Member

hey people of BC, i seen videos of people uploaded on the internet using fly clamp i see that is not really good compared to fixed clamp. i dont know if this sounds logical or not but here it goes. firstly fixed clamp are supported so the lets say the mains are pulled to a tension of 24lbs ok. then u put the clamp(fixed) it sound logical that it stays in place. while for the fly clamp it does not hold the tension but instead allowing the tensioned string to sag down. personally i would go for a stringing machine with fixed clamps

2. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    well, if you buy cheap flying clamps, then it will sag. If you get good ones, then it should help. Technique is important. ;)

3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

The sagging you mention is only really a problem on the LAST string before the knot; any sag on preceding strings can be taken care of by the next pull of the tension head. Also, pre-weaving the racket will reduce sagging even more.

I agree with OP - swivel clamps are beyond question the more consistent of the two, but if you've got good technique with them the difference becomes marginal and has a slight speed advantage.

4. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

I was thinking, with the new [black] MBS and Yonex flying clamps on a fully pre-weaved frame, how much additional tension do you stringing seniors (in comparison to me) add to the final string before tie-off? I have been stringing with an old Ashaway machine with sliding fixed clamps and have been adding 2lbs extra to the final string, relative to the tension of the others (i.e. when I do 30lbs on main I will do 32lbs on the final main etc.) then tie off with three half hitches.

Do you reckon that adding 2lbs extra is enough to compensate for the possible slack with the lack of a sturdy, immovable fixed clamp [on a simple table top machine such as the portable HiQua one].

Recommendations much appreciated :)

5. warlock110

warlock110 Regular Member

flying clamp does sag a little, but what do you expect? it's got nothing to fix itself onto....

but like someone above said, you tension the next string it'll pull that sag part up again, the only problem is the last string where you tie off, but then again you always loose a little bit on the tie off so it's nothing new.

6. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    The main difference between the two is being able to follow the yonex stringing pattern, it's harder to do with flying clamps, but not totally impossible.
    Fixed clamps are much better for holding the tension but sometimes I can't get mine as close to the frame as I could with flying clamps, so I end up with more sagging.

7. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    In your opinion who make the best fly clamps? The Yonex ones seem to be the 'standard' and the most popular; certainly on this forum anyway. I'm totally new to stringing so apologies if this question is a little obvious to some. In fact, the more I read-up on stringing, the more I seem to get confused.

8. maa2003

maa2003 Regular Member

take it easy .... just use whatever you have now to string the rackets.
    as long as you and your customers are happy, that's most important.

9. allyjack110

I do not have a machine. I want to buy one and learn the trade. That's why I am asking.

10. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Currently, I am use Yonex ones mainly for crosses, as they have wider gaps. I use the original HQ for main, as they have slightly narrower gaps. Both are very well made tools.

11. allyjack110

Why does pre-weaving help to reduce the sag? I would imagine that fixed clamps are very handy when starting-off the mains in the centre. Afterwards, once I had tensioned the first few strings, I would then proceed to use my flying clamps for the remaining strings. Would that be a good method? I don't have my own machine yet, so I am speaking purely hypothetically.