Tactic vs Strategy

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by raymond, Aug 3, 2011.

1. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Anyone here plays chess also? In chess, there're distinct differences between the two terms. E.g. tactic would typically mean 2-3 moves patterns that could result in immediate material gain/loss/checkmate, while strategy is positional and takes a longer time to play out.

In badminton, do they also mean different things also? If the topic is too big, perhaps we can focus on Singles first. What're the common (perhaps prioritized with the most effective ones first) tactics and strategies? A compilation of such a list could be interesting and instructional.

E.g. how do you classify the following?
    1. Attacking the back court - strategy or tactic
    2. Attacking the backhand - ditto
    3. Smash and rush to the net, and attempt to manipulate your opponent's body weight shift.
    4. Combining the use of the net with a powerful smash
    5. Use the two diagonal corners

Note that this is but a very short list to start the discussion.

2. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I think, in my head (at least :) ) I would call a strategy the overall game plan - how do I intend to win points? From a lift? From a netkill after a smash? By defending? I would consider the tactics the individual shot combinations used to achieve the outcome - the ways in which I provoke the weak response from my opponent.

Imagine Smash and Netkill were my desired finishing shots in singles (lets call them A and B). The strategy, for me, would be to try to set up A and B, because this will win me points (against a certain opponent). The tactics would be the combinations of shots to enable A and B e.g. use C, then D, then A and B, OR use C, E, D, F, D, A and B etc.

Hopefully that makes sense. Strategy is my goal, it may be very simple e.g. quick onto the net. The tactics are the plays I use to implement that strategy.

I look forwards to seeing what "common strategies" people suggest!

3. Line & Length

Line & Length Regular Member

Another possible distinction is that tactics are more general & less variable, whereas strategy is more fluid & specific to the opposition.

For example, the objective of smashing down-the-line isn't going to change too much. However, the decision to smash down the line is heavily influenced by the situation, opponent, score etc.

Another example of strategy could be the decision of a singles player to play longer rallies at the start of a match to tire their opponent. Then, towards the end, they could switch to attempting winner more frequently.

As for raymond's list:
    1 & 2: Both describe overall objectives, so would go for strategy.
    3: Smash and rush to the net is a tactic, whereas manipulating body weight shift would be a strategy.
    4: Could be either. If you are choosing to combine net play with smashing, then it's a strategy. In doubles, I'd consider it a tactic.
    5: Again argueable, but I'd go for tactic.

4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Playing Singles in Badminton; It's the same as in playing Chess

Good topic. :):):)

Yes, I play Chess. I would move my pieces to balance up my attacking and defensive positions, and waiting for any weaknesses in my opponent's gambit. I would set up my pieces to attack a particular wing/file, while also having an opportunity to attack another wing/file.

IMHO, for playing Singles in Badminton is the same as in playing Chess; During a rally, keep in control and wait for a weakness found (at a particular moment), then play a shot that will cause him/her getting into trouble. After his/her weak return, attack with a good/high percentage winning shot.

Easily said than done. Many players often let their opponents 'off the hook' when their opponents are in trouble. :D:D:D

#4 chris-ccc, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  5. GameGod

GameGod Regular Member

None
    I'd say any long term plan you have going into a game is "strategy" - it's how you plan to win points throughout the game in general, and thereby how you win the match overall. Anything designed to work for the entire match is a strategy. On the other hand, a tactic is a short term "tool" you use to help you win a particular point, e.g. a deceptive cross-court net shot followed by an easy net kill, or any other good deception. Like Chess, strategy is much longer term.

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Strategy applies to the "war."
    Tactics apply to the immediate moves, or the "battles" within the war.

To "strategize" signifies that you have "thought out" or mapped out in your mind, a method of attack/defense and the tools you will use to implement your methods. Strategy also includes devising/preparing alternate plans for contingencies and methods you will use to achieve the ultimate objective. Strategy is always "big picture." Sometimes, you may lose a point here or there in a certain way, just to lull your opponent into playing or reacting in a certain way; at a crucial juncture, you will take advantage of the situation you have created in the opponent's mind and attitude, to surprise him, and thus also generate doubt and uncertainty in his mind. This is part of "strategy."

Tactics apply to the methods or selection to weapons/tools (shots, moves, reactions) during a point, or a series of points. They are a subset of the overall strategy that has been put in place to deal with a particular opponent. The patterns employed during executing a tactic are dictated by the geographic conditions (opponent's placements, position, alignment etc) and any immediate transitional weakness that is percieved of the opponent during play of the point.

7. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    I'd say everything on your list comes under "tactics".

Strategy is more along the lines of what most people would call "playing style".
    For example, your strategy might be to exhaust and out-last your opponent (the "tortoise" strategy). The tactics you use to achieve this would be to play percentage shots, play shots to all corners of the court, etc.
    This would be in contrast to players who attempt to win games using superior shot execution, speed, power etc (the "hare" strategy).

While badminton is a tactically very rich game, I think there's actually very limited scope for strategy. Essentially, there are only one or two "right" ways to play (strategies).
    For example, playing very defensively is no longer an effective strategy, since the new scoring system came in to effect. On the other hand, playing very aggressively and smashing at every possible opportunity is not an effective singles strategy either (too tiring; too hard to hit winners without creating an opening first).

8. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

personally i think strategy has a "longterm/overall" meaning. so in badminton, your strategy could be to tire your opponent out, or to attack from the start and hope to gain a big point gap, or to be aggressive and keep the point rallies short.

tactics could be how you structure and setup a rally to win a point, such as attacking the backhand, smash and follow in to the net, moving your opponent to the rear corners and etc.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

agreed

cobalt says it best... have you been reading sun tzu's "the art of war"? :)

but seriously that is an excellent dissertation on the general principles of tactics and strategy

and reflecting on chris, i really hate it when i've worked my ass off to get ourselves into a good offensive opportunity only to have my partner give it away by hitting a nice mid court clear for the opponents to smash!! :(

10. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I understand...

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Actually, The Book of Five Rings... :)

12. visor

visor Regular Member

ummm... ok, remind me not to play against you when you're holding a sword!! :eek: :eek:

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Oh, its OK to play against me... just don't play as my partner!!!:p
    That should tell you all you need to know about my, er, swordsmanship. On court, i.e...... :D

14. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    So does anyone have any favorable patterns/tactics that seem to work quite often?

15. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Or can you learn any strategy/tactics by watching the pros play (e.g. on Youtube)? How do you do it (like what do you watch for)?

16. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ One thing you can easily learn from watching games on YouTube is the importance and tactics of the service, service return, and the 3rd shot. Because of the rally points scoring, many points are won or lost in the first 3 shots.

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    for really good tactics that we can actually apply, look for women doubles matches as well as mixed doubles matches. those are ones that we are capable of applying.

men doubles ones are too superhuman for us mortals to even try.

18. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    To see how the winning outcome was created

Firstly, watch the winning outcome of a rally, then rewind back to see how the winning outcome was created. ;););)

19. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    hmmm... many professors of badminton here. I liked. ;) Who's the emeritus? ;)

20. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

my basic gameplan at the moment - stay in the point and kill any weak shots..