Recomment me a string please!

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by shadowfuri, Aug 5, 2011.

1. shadowfuri

shadowfuri Regular Member

Student
    Hi guys,

I need a new string and I was wondering if anyone here could help me since I'm not very knowledgeable in this aspect.

Currently I'm using an Arcsaber 10 strung with NBG 95 at 23.5, the string is ok, but feels very slippery at times and I don't have alot of control, previously I've used the BG 65 which was decent and the BG65 Ti, which I hated.

My play style revolves mainly more around control and analysing my opponent, but I do prefer smashes every once in a while.

Would a string like the BG66 UM , BG80 or BG85 suit my play style? Also, how exactly does the level of repulsion affect game play? More repulsion = better smashes and less control?

Thanks for any help in advance :)

2. GUENNIIIII

GUENNIIIII Regular Member

Industrial Manager
    I think BG66 UM, NBG 98, BG80 they could all suit your game but there are a lot more from Ashaway and Li-Ning Strings with the same preferences. Everyone has to find out which one he like personally most. You should not buy the 0.70mm strings because for control a thinner one is better. More repulsion is not less control!

3. shadowfuri

Student
    Thanks for your reply :)

I have tried the NBG 98 on my brother's racquet and to me the feeling is a little 'hard' for my liking, I prefer a string which will give me a nice soft feeling when I drop and not take too much power out of my smash. It bothers me because I always thought the thicker strings were better for these kinds of things and thus offered better control :( (although I never really have properly used a thin string)

Also, tension wise, if I were to get a string with a lower gauge, should I lower the tension to get the same feeling or would it be wise to keep it the same, I generally play anywhere between 23-24 lbs.

4. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Well my advice is to try different strings with different tensions. Since all rackets has it's own features. Human feels them differently as well. A man's trash is another man's gold. ;) I'll use bg66 for good feel, if I want longer lasting string with repulsion, I'll use nanogy98. ;)

5. erictung

erictung Regular Member

IMO, BG 66 UM should work out better for you if you want to have a "soft feel" when you hit. From my experience (6 hours of play only) BG 66 UM sounds great and feels soft and gives you enough edge for the smash that you want because it's a thinner string. The thinner the strings are, the more offensive it is. But the only downside is that BG 66 is fairly costly to replace and it breaks easily because it's thin. BG 80 is basically many people's go to string. On impact, it gives you a "solid/slightly hard feel" without you feeling the strings being slippery. It's thicker than the BG 66 so it'll be more durable and it also costs less to replace too.

Just my 2 cents ^_^

#5 erictung, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  6. shadowfuri

Student
    I will probably try the BG 80 at 23x25 first, and then the BG 66 UM, so that I don't jump too much from my previous 0.70 mm string too quickly. Something, which caught my attention though, it seems as though the BG 85 is quite similar to the BG 80 specification wise. Does anybody know the differences between these two strings?

Thanks.

7. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    BG80 is a safe bet. BG85 has less durablity (but better control feeling) than 80, as it's 0.01mm thinner. However, the durability is noticeable. For me, Bg80 last about 30-40% longer than BG85, when strung at the same tension.

8. Polaroid

Polaroid Regular Member

Student
    Got my mx80 strung @ 25lbs with nbg98 looking to test it out today :).

9. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

why dont you try Lining's AcuPower 62. i string mine around 22/24 too

i feel it has more feel and repulsion.

while its apparently not as durable, its better then BG66 and 30% cheaper

i havent need to replace mine yet though :D

#9 moomoo, Aug 19, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011