Victor MX80 vs MX70

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Porky, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Porky

Porky Regular Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Victor MX80 4UG2 Victor MX70 3UG2

String Yonex BG80 (25lbs) String Victor VS850 (24lbs)
    Stiffness – 5/5 Stiffness – 4/5
    Balance – 4/5 Balance – 4/5

Smashes | 9.0 Smashes | 7.8

This is the biggest difference and also the main flaws of MX70. Power in smashes is slightly lacking when compared with MX80 but is comparable to other models like BS11 which i have. MX80 feels slightly more head-heavy even though the balance rating seems to suggest it’s equal. For MX70, due to the mid-stiffness rating, it’s actually easier to wield and it seems to be more “whippy”. As i’ve a past injury to my wrist, certain wrist actions using MX80 causes me some pain but surprising MX70 doesnt and is more manoeuvrable and thus give better angled smashes for me. However i can do better successive smashes using MX70 as the flexiness enable me to bring up the racquet faster to continue another smash if needed. For players looking for more power in smashes, i’m afraid u will be disappointed with the MX70 in general. But wait a minute, there are still plenty MX70 offers which i haven’t explained. Hehe. Furthermore there are some factors which aint constant between both racquets, e.g string used, tension and the grip (MX80 i’ve grip slightly thinner hence the head-heavy feel while i grip the MX70 thicker thus giving a more balanced feel)

Clears | 9.5 Clears | 9.5

Both are equally good and effortless.

Drives | 8.5 Drives | 9.0

This is where MX70 compensates. The drives are faster even though my MX70 is supposed to be heavier being 3U.

Drop Shots
    | 8.5 Drop Shots | 9.0

Drop shots were never my forte, but i seem to perform better drop shots with control using the MX70

Net Play | 8.5 Net Play | 8.2

My netplay were better using MX80. I do wonder is it becoz of the string and tension difference causing the “feel” to be slightly different. But no big difference in my opinion.

Defense
    | 8.5 Defense | 9.2

MX70 really shines in this department. My defense suddenly improves as the racquet is more manoeuvrable and i were able to return good defensive clears using the MX70. With the MX80, i seem to be a tad slower and sometime hitting the frame.

Placement
    | 10 Placement | 10

Very good control and placement for both racquets. I really think the Victor Meteor series are well-made in this area and were really stable and precise in placement be it clears, smashes or drop shots.

Paintwork
    | 9.0 Paintwork | 9.0
    Excellent paintwork again for both racquets. Had my 1[SUP]st[/SUP] clash today already but is still flawless due to the strong lacquer coating. Aesthetically i would definitely rate MX80 much higher than MX70 due to the colour scheme.

In conclusion, if u are an intermediate and higher level player who yearns for power and have good techniques, i still think MX80 is good and preferable. But for an intermediate player looking for all-round good play, i do feel MX70 performs better in all aspects except smashes and is more accommodating especially when one is tired. That’s all for my humble feedback.:D
    I’m no advanced player, just a casual player who plays regularly for years but without any proper training. Hence my play and technique could be very much different with a trained player. So do take everything with a pinch of salt and pls don’t flame me! :p

2. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Thanks for the comparison review. I'll definitely pick up the MX70 and maybe the MX80 too :D

3. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

thanks for the review! hmm, it sounds like mx70 is the new and improved bs09 lol anyways, ima get myself one for sure! :)

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Hey, I'm not sure we can fit 3 rackets into the combined shipping! :p :)

5. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Geez Porky, a 'review' of two rackets, one 4U one 3U, one with BG80 and one with VS850, and both gripped differently???

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Don't worry. I'll be getting one in September to be strung and gripped exactly the same as my mx80. Unless you beat me to it first. :D

7. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    You'll probably beat me - I'm on holidays and off the court for all of September. Boooo.

8. todjo

todjo Regular Member

self employed
    Your mx80, is it 4U. I just bought 4U sw37 last tuesday & maybe I'll buy a 4U mx70 if the review is good. i'll wait for your review:)

9. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ I got a 3U one, but weighing 85.4g dry, it's almost a 4U. Even so it was a beast for me to handle initially due to it's extra stiffness. But after 2 months I think it has trained me and I've since developed more muscles forearm and shoulder muscles to wield it properly. That's why I'm looking at the mx70: for my off days when I'm off my form.

10. ahkiong

ahkiong Regular Member

good review, i think i wil buy mx 70

11. todjo

todjo Regular Member

self employed
    @Visor
    Maybe, you can consider 4U sw37. Perfect for defence, so easy to handle, but smash power is not too special.
    But, I'm still waiting for your review on 4U mx70 compared w/ your mx80. Thanks.

12. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Good review Porky. My main concern is not the power difference but the shaft stiffness. I find I tend to spray my shots when playing with non-stiff rackets. Everything else about the MX-70 sounds great. Maybe I can try Visor's one first. :p

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Let's see... a dollar per hit, sound reasonable? :p :D

But you know you don't want to miss the savings from the combined shipping! ;)

14. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Dang right! How many pcs are you planning to pick up? Anything else? Let me know when you put in the order :)

15. visor

visor Regular Member

2x mx70: 1 for moi, and 1 for CanucksDynasty for now. So there's still room for 1 more mx70! :D

Will let you know when Eric gets it in September.

16. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

September? Why not get it now from Singapore ;)

17. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Of course there might not be enough stock for "export" like with the 80 but sounds like there is plenty (but probably because he got there first :D)

18. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Must......stop......looking......at............photos.......

:eek::rolleyes::D

19. visor

visor Regular Member

Don't tempt me! :eek:

20. visor

visor Regular Member

Truth be told, the mx80 looks much hotter.