One year at BC. What have I learnt?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by cobalt, Aug 7, 2011.

1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I realised when I was checking my profile today, that I have just completed one year at BC! :)

And like at all annual milestones, I ask myself, what have I learnt? So here are a few of my thoughts, and some observations, and a lot of nonsense (which most of you have come to expect of me! :D)

I have learnt:

That you cannot always understand why people do what they do; you just accept.

That this world is not homogeneous; it is brilliantly different; and reading different threads and posts is like making new discoveries every day!

That people can change their opinions or positions over time; some think it's progress; some think its a shame. But I think its evolution.

That people can use forums to spread hatred or bias or propoganda. Or at least, they can try. Pretty soon the majority of forum inhabitants figure out things for themselves and the only losers are the ones who tried to spread bias, hatred etc. This too, is evolution.

That equality means different things to different people.

That understanding where another person "is coming from," literally and figuratively, is a good beginning point for friendship and co-operation, and sharing. And forums make this possible.

That its not just badminton. Its a way of life; because often, how you conduct yourself and play the game is a reflection of your attitude and philosophies in life.

That you can effect change just by speaking the truth. Or a lie. The choice is yours. And the responsibility of that choice is yours, too.

That like all good things, this forum can become an addiction! I would like to end with a quote from a great movie I saw a long time ago, which is very fitting, for me, and BC and us all.

"This instrument can teach, it can illuminate; yes, and it can even inspire. But it can do so only to the extent that humans are determined to use it to those ends. Otherwise it is merely wires and lights in a box. Good night, and good luck."

Thank you, BC and all who inhabit this forum, for a wonderful year! :):):)

2. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    sounds like the opposite *** isn't ? lmao... life is a journey. ;)

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Good 1st anniversary post! You just have to remember that, on any forum, it's easier for some people to talk bigger and louder when hiding behind their keyboards. After you've been here long enough, you'll know who to pay attention to and who NOT to pay attention to. :)

4. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Good summary. I run a forum myself (not badminton related) and have pretty much observed exactly what you've shared here - very universal "themes" across most/all forums.

5. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    4.5 years in BC.
    you have pop-out a good question for me to think of.
    give a bit time to counter check what have i learn here..... :rolleyes:

6. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I know I know... *sob* :crying:

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    This is the best site to keep in touch with Badminton

After 5.3 years in BC, I have found that this is the best site to keep in touch with Badminton. :):):)

8. MilGauss

MilGauss Regular Member

Oops sticky fingers, press the like button atop cobalt's post.

extremenanopowe, no offense the like was for the year-old forum celebrant cobalt.