Interesting tidbit for you old time racquet freaks

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Pecheur, May 18, 2003.

1. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Well I found it interesting anyway ;P

After training, my coach was playing with one of his racquets, hadn't really looked at it before, but it was a Cab 20. Asked him for a look and he pointed out the CN, surprise ;P, it was at least 10 years old and at the time he would have been on the Chinese national team, playing around the world. However he also showed me that there was a serial engraved on the butt of the racquet, just above the gold YY. Now I'd never seen those before and he explained they were from when Hou Ji Chang was still a coach for the Chinese team. HJC was in charge of the stock and initially whenever one of the CN racquets was broken, the players could get them changed for free, no questions asked. However the players started to give the racquets to their friends to use and when they broke they got swapped. To stop this, HJC engraved a serial number on the butt of the racquet so he could track what happened to the racquets.

He also had a Cab 20 KR which he said was the same standard. He said when he played big tournaments they often broke racquets, or just asked the local rep for a new racquet. He didn't have his JP or UK ones unfortunately.

2. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    that makes good sense on the engraving numbers at the butt of racquet.
    I was thinking that the other day, and I guessed it right!:)

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Cab20?

I got a 'few' of those:D

I wasn't sure how long my 2nd hand ones would last.....it's been 2 years now.