playing for money: anyone ever done it?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by thumpsky, Aug 10, 2011.

1. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    I was thinking of making casual games amongst friends a little more interesting by adding a money element. Kind of like poker night, but with badminton doubles.

We could start with a reasonable amount, like 20 bux per person. And to up the ante, when we get into deuces, every point after 20 (from either side) is an extra 5 bux.

Ergo, a 30-29 game would be super dramatic with the added bonus of a windfall of 95 bux (19 points X 5 bux), plus 40 bux from your two opponents.

It would bring the drama.

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

The search function must be broken :p / or the new autofill one :D

3. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I think it would end badly. Cuz then if someone loses...they will blame the lesser skilled partner. And the lesser skilled partner would be poorer and have less self-confidence. Hardly fun...if you keep losing and lose money at the same time. That keeps up...then that guy would probably quit badminton altogether.

Poker is different. There is no phsyical skill involved. It's about reading the situation and the other players. And if you lose...there is no one to blame but yourself.

There will be drama...but be prepared for the consequences.
    Just saying.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it depends on the culture and the group.

in places like San Gabriel down in LA, playing the "pot" is a regular thing.

in SE Asia, esp Malaysia / Indonesia, playing for money is very very common.

however, it is not common where i live. people never like to play for money but instead just for fun. i think a lot has to do with the extra stress involved. we work so hard and so stressed during the day many people just choose to enjoy the game of badminton that we love instead of trying to kill each other for $5.

one thing that is true is that, if you do want to play some competitive game, some prize is a good idea.

one of the local club, Royal Badminton Academy in Menlo Park holds a challenge court where if a pair managed to win 3 consecutive games, they will be rewarded a tube of Flypower shuttlecock (sponsored by Flypower), and that little bit makes the game much more competitive. I have always enjoyed the games i played there.

5. thumpsky

thumpsky Regular Member

Student
    Stress is good for making a memorable experience

6. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    and for a horrible one as well.

7. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

winning money is not the problem, it's losing money you can't afford. if it's just to make things interesting, why not just play for birdies or beer? :p

8. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

I do that every Friday night with 7 other friends of widely varying levels of skill. But we only bet US $1.00 per person. Just to keep the drama n motivation to win. It's really funny that sometimes the argument is not on whether the birdie is in or out but more on the who should partner with whom to be a fair fight. He..he..he..:D..:D

9. concretemad

concretemad Regular Member

engineer
    It could train your mental strength. Largest bet i done before rm200.

10. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    usually what we do is to do push up if you lose the game
    or maybe drinks for the winner side
    but I never did it

I remembered my mom said that before she watched a kid VS old man in badminton
    all of the spectator bet on the kid
    it's around 200 thousand rupiah (quite large on that time, around 40-50 years ago compared to 5 rupiah to eat soto + rice) VS the rich old man (who bet on his own side)

the match was quite close, but the kid lost due to weak mental, he was nervous