String freshness

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by whatever001, Aug 12, 2011.

1. whatever001

whatever001 Regular Member

Hi,

My stringer just said something about string freshness. He prefers to use a 10m pack instead of a roll of 200m, in fact there is no 200m rolls in his shop. What he said is the string will interact with the air and will lose its feel/freshness after a week. So if for any reasons, the string is getting out of the pack and will not sell in 1 week. He will not sell it for customers.

It might not affect much on our games, but what you guys think?

I still prefer to buy in rolls as it will save me some bucks and I can have an additional string.

2. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Well seeing how the strings aren't vacuum sealed nor filled with an inert gas, I wouldn't expect there to be a huge difference between a 10m pack and a roll since the 10m pack is still exposed to air. I think what's more important is how long ago the string was manufactured.

In my opinion, it sounds more like a marketing ploy to try to differentiate himself from other stringers and possibly charge higher prices?

3. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I think he's full of hot air. Are strings vacuumed packed? No they are not. So then the air in the bag will affect the strings according to him.

4. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    are his strings made of banana peel?
    cuz that's about how long my bananas last.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    nice pun. haha.

i too think he is BSing. i have used both types and see no difference at all. if he is worthy of a stringer he will go through at least a reel every few weeks. that's hardly enough to have any effect.

6. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Gut string is, but poly? Nah. I've seen no difference between pack and off-the-reel (except the waste of packs).

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    good point about gut string. but nowadays, i see more wooden rackets still in use than gut strings. this guy must have been ancient and never kept up-to-date with current string technologies.

8. jerby

jerby Regular Member

so, then, by that logic, you cut your strings after a week as well? Because you know, the freshness is gone because of contact with air and stuff....

It doesn't mean he's a bad stringer, but I don't think he's right about this part