Jwala Gutta & Ashwini Ponnappa

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by cobalt, Aug 12, 2011.

1. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I could not find a thread for this pair of Women's Double players from India. So here goes.

Jwala Gutta
    Born: September 7, 1983
    Height: 178 cm.
    Plays for: India

Current ranking:
    Womens Doubles: 21
    Mixed Doubles: 49

Born in India to a father of Indian descent and a mother of Chinese descent, Jwala grew up in Hyderabad, one of the major hubs for badminton in the country. Apart from consistent wins in the national Championships (13 times until 2010) she has also won medals and podium finishes in Grand Prix, International and IC tournaments. She notably won the Gold medal (womens doubles) at the 2010 Commonwealth Games. At the time of writing, she and Ashwini have entered the semi-finals of the World Badminton Championships 2011 - the first time a womens team from India have secured a medals place, in the history of the Championships.

Ashwini Ponnappa:
    Born: September 18, 1989
    Height: 165 cm.
    Plays for: India

Current ranking:
    Womens doubles: 21
    Mixed doubles: 157

Ashwini won a gold at the 20016 South Asian Games, and later partnered Jwala for a Gold in the 2010 Commonwealth Games, where she also won a Silver in the mixed doubles category.

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Jwala-Ashwini make history at Wembley

Abhijeet Kulkarni, Hindustan Times
    Mumbai, August 13, 2011

Full story: http://www.hindustantimes.com/Jwala-Ashwini-make-history-at-Wembley/Article1-732779.aspx

Excerpts:

Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa etched their names in history books on Friday when they became the first Indian pair to ensure a medal at the World Badminton Championships.

The Commonwealth Games gold medallists defeated 12th seeds Vita Marrisa and Nadya Melati of Indonesia 17-21, 21-10, 21-17 to storm into the women's doubles semifinal in London on Friday, thereby ensuring at least a bronze.

Jwala and Ashwini's performance also ended India's 28-year medal drought in the flagship event.
    India's only other medal in the championship came in 1983 when Prakash Padukone bagged the men's singles bronze in Copenhagen, Denmark.

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    The Jwala-Ashwini show ends
    Posted:
    Sun Aug 14 2011, 01:55 hrs Mumbai
    Full report: http://www.indianexpress.com/news/the-jwalaashwini-show-ends/831674/

Excerpts:

The warm-up rally saw Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa share a good laugh when a Jwala forehand hit Ashwini flush in the face. While most pairs would be a bundle of nerves heading into their first semifinal of the World Championships, the Indian world number 21 pair were out to enjoy themselves having already exceeded their expectations. They won the first ever medal in the women’s category of the World Championships and also the first medal for the country in 28 years.

They gave their opponents — Chinese world number seven Qing Tian and Yunlei Zhao — a tough fight with their aggressive play, but were ultimately outclassed 14-21, 16-21.

...Jwala found it hard to get in the game with the shuttle constantly tracking her her less experienced partner.

...They were trailing 6-11 at the break. The duo finally did change their tactics and were rotating more on court with Jwala shouldered more of the burden. With Jwala taking over, the Indians to within one point at 16-17. The Chinese pair, however, got their act together and won four consecutive points to win the set 21-17 and book a place in the final.

...When all eyes were on Saina Nehwal and P Kashyap to hold India’s flag high at the World Championships, it was the underdog women’s doubles pair as well as Ajay Jayaram in the men’s singles who quietly took big leaps.

4. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    OK, I want to fry this pair.

They displayed a decent amount of fight and flair going into the quarter-finals, and they won their matches despite the usual feeling that things might fall apart for them any moment. Miraculously, they kept winning at crucial moments, either through their own enterprise, or the dismal play of their opponents. But they won.

So they made it to the semis, created history for Indian badminton, and then collapsed. Is this how it is?

Their game in the semis was so unimaginative, an accountant could have kept me more awake.

Their game was so one-dimensional, it was going nowhere in time.

Their game was so frightfully uncoordinated, I almost called the EMS hotline.

Their game was so lacking in tactical nous, you might have been excused for thinking they were a pair of school kids playing with their uncle giving them encouragement from the sidelines.

Their game was so lacking in communication, you'd think they hated each others' guts.

They lost. Not because their opponents played out of their skins (in fact they were pretty mediocre IMO.) But because they had totally switched off. There was no effort to correct mistakes; or reverse flow; or change tactics; or alter patterns; or switch positions; or.....

There was a great big NOTHING!!!

I predict this pair will never make it big on the international stage. Its up to them to prove me wrong, but I just know they cannot. BAI need to start looking for alternatives yesterday.

5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Jwala Gutta wants Saina Nehwal-like support from Indians

Full story: http://www.mid-day.com/sports/2011/aug/170811-Saina-Nehwal-Jwala-Gutta-Badminton-India.htm

Excerpts:

India's ace shuttler Jwala Gutta is always known to speak her mind and rightly so.

...After her historic bronze medal-winning feat with partner Ashwini Ponnappa at the World Badminton Championships over the weekend, a livid Jwala yesterday told MiD DAY from London that she was not satisfied with the step-motherly treatment meted out to doubles back home.

....Why do you think doubles gets step-motherly treatment back home?
    I don't know the reason, but it is true. Even now the most important thing about our win here, is that we did it despite zero encouragement. Even the day we were leaving home for London, I remember, everything we were reading was all about Saina (Nehwal) and singles players. Saina was being touted as India's best hope. She's a fine player, but the doubles teams are also good. If Saina won gold at the Delhi Commonwealth Games, so did we. But even the media somehow choose to ignore us. Probably that's the reason we don't have sponsors despite our success. But after winning here, I hope this attitude changes.

6. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Why no weight in the personal bios? :D

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I can't afford them industrial scales *scowl* :p

8. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Does anyone think that Jwala Gutta, with her surly court presence, makes things a little uncomfortable for Ashwini Ponnappa? Jwala is older than Ashwini by 6 years and clearly the senior partner so won't that be her job to get the best out of Ashwini. Just look at her reaction when Ashwini makes a mistake; it's almost like Jwala is restraining herself from cracking Ashwini across the head with her racket. I rarely see her encouraging Ashwini.

Just sayin...

9. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    @madbad: Here is an article that aptly sums up what Jwala is, and what she means to India, as well as the world's badminton community.

Jwala loves putting on a show
    Aug 16, 2011
    Full story: http://www.firstpost.com/blogs/jwala-is-a-bit-of-an-item-girl-who-loves-the-limelight-61710.html

Excerpts:

If badminton can be compared to Bollywood, then Saina Nehwal is the undoubted shuttle queen while Jwala Gutta is the perennial item girl who stays in the limelight on and off the screen.

...Jwala Gutta has remained an enigma for almost everyone who has interacted with arguably the best doubles player in India, and the unusual name has only added to the mystic.

It is extremely difficult for even those who have known her for years to predict which Jwala would turn up – the firebrand youngster spoiling for a fight or a laidback fashion crazy girl who enjoys the rich lifestyle.

And between those two extremes, lies a shuttler who had the ability and the talent to create a niche for herself in the world of badminton, but was happy bossing around in the relatively mediocre domestic doubles circuit for almost a decade.

...Even during those days, Jwala was clearly the dominant partner. At times, she would ridicule her partner on and off the court or praise her to everyone who cared to listen as if Shruti was a child under her guardianship.

...she began taking her badminton seriously again and found able partners in V Diju (mixed doubles) and Ashwini Ponnappa (women’s doubles). Both players are content to stay in her shadow and hardly bother to talk about themselves or their game to the media unless approached. Even on the court, both of them acknowledge Jwala’s superior skills of reading the game and are willing to play to her game plan.

While Jwala and Diju rose to a world ranking of 8 in 2010 before the latter suffered a back injury, the women’s doubles combination has created history by winning the CWG gold and a bronze in the world championship last week.

However, for outsiders, it can be unnerving to see Jwala playing god-mother to Ashwini or Diju on and off the court. And the worse part is that there is not even a cosmetic effort to project equal status to her partners.

10. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Thanks cobalt. That might help explain her on-court persona.

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Proving their mettle
    SPORTSTAR VOL.34 :: NO.36 :: Sep. 08, 2011

Full story:
    http://www.tssonnet.com/stories/20110908505203500.htm

Excerpts:

...“It is a truly remarkable achievement. They (Jwala and Ashwini) surprised many in England, but certainly not me,” said the former All England champion and now the National coach, Pullela Gopi Chand. “Before the event, I had said that this pair is the one to watch out for along with Saina at the championships,” he recalled.

Both Jwala and Ashwini are proud of the fact that they proved they are a force to reckon with at the highest level. “Our victory over second-seeded pair of Wen Hsing Cheng and Yu Chin Chien in the second round is perhaps a proof of this,” Jwala said. “Well, the bronze in the Worlds is something which we will not forget easily. It is certainly one of the most memorable moments of my career and I'm sure Ashwini would share my feelings,” said a delighted Jwala.

“Essentially, we understand each other very well. The best part is that both of us are capable of doubling up both in defence and attack with ease,” she said.

...“Her remarkable ability to come up with the big points at the net is a delight to watch. She takes her opponents by surprise at the net,” said Ashwini, who trains at the Pullela Gopi Chand Academy in Hyderabad.

13. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Jwala’s winning streak

Full story: http://www.telegraphindia.com/1110906/jsp/entertainment/story_14468153.jsp

Excerpts:

What was the turning point for you in the tournament?
    Beating the number two pair (Hsing Chen and Yu Chin Chien of Chinese Taipei) in the world in the second round. That was a huge turning point for us. Then as the championship progressed, we started beating almost all the seeded players. That built our confidence from one round to the next.

What goes into making a good doubles team in badminton?
    You need to have a good understanding, both on and off the court. Ashwini and I share the smallest things. Knowing each other’s key strengths and weaknesses is also a plus. Staying focused is very important. And even if you are doing badly and a game is not going your way, never argue or blame each other.

When we spoke last time, you were complaining about the focus and attention only being on Saina Nehwal…
    It still is. I’ll give you an example — Saina won Commonwealth gold, even we won Commonwealth gold, but sponsorship-wise she is secure, while corporates hardly bother to look at me or Ashwini. Ashwini is still so young and if these kind of things happen in a game, it is extremely discouraging. Such discrimination is not only bad for us, it’s bad for the game as well.

jg-ap-01.jpg

What do you think needs to be done to focus the attention on you and Ashwini?
    I don’t really want the focus to shift to us or that we should be the only ones who should be appreciated and rewarded. See, there are a lot of players doing well and you just can’t promote a single player. All these years, every kind of mileage associated with badminton in India has only gone to Saina. It’s almost as if the rest of us don’t exist. The team, as a whole, needs to be supported. I would have understood if the rest of us weren’t delivering, but we are achieving regularly at the international level. What more can we do? I am sure that even if we win at the Olympics next year, we will be ignored yet again.

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa crash out in first round of the 2011 China Masters Super Series

http://blogs.bettor.com/Jwala-Gutta...of-the-2011-China-Masters-Super-Series-a97360

India’s top shuttlers and World Championships bronze medallists, Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa crashed out in the first round after they lost to China’s lower ranked pair of Huan Xia and Tang Jinhua at the 2011 China Masters Super Series, on September 14, in China.

World Number 16 pair of Gutta and Ponnappa failed to continue their impressive performance which they showed in last month’s World Championships and lost to World Number 85 duo of Xia and Jinhua, in three sets. The Chinese shuttlers player wonderful badminton and stunned the Indians with their positive and aggressive approach in the match.

The Chinese duo started the first set in a calm but quick manner, as they were in wonderful control of the bird from all corners of the court. They played a complete game by employing all their skills and made the higher ranked Indians work hard for every point. Xia and Jinhua were leading the set with a score of 11-9, at the end of the interval.

After the break, the Chinese pair maintained their domination in the whole set and won it with a tight margin of 21-19, in 29 minutes. The Indians failed to show good form in the first set, as they were not having good co-ordination.

However, the Indians played different badminton in the following set and remained successful in pushing their opponents on the back foot. Gutta’s skill at the net combined with Ponnappa’s powerful smashes helped them in winning the game in 15 minutes, with the score of 21-15.

The deciding set of this Women’s Doubles contest remained close as both sides played fast and controlled badminton. The long rallies showed their patience to wait for the right opportunity of scoring points.

However, the score remained equal until 21-21, when the Chinese shuttlers played some perfect attacking strokes and won the set with a 23-21 margin in 23 minutes. This Women’s Singles first-round match ended in the favour of China’s shuttlers with the score of 21-19, 15-21 and 23-21, in 57 minutes.

15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    JG/AP are due to meet the Singapore pair of Shinta Mulia Sari/Lei Yao in round 1 of the Denmark Open, tomorrow. These pairs have met twice before, with the Singapore girls having won on both occasions. Right now both are ranked next to one another, the Indians at 16, the Singaporeans at 15. Looks like its shaping up to be a hard-fought match.

Whoever wins, their next opponent in all likelihood are going to be the unknown Chinese pair of Wang Xiaoli/Yu Yang.

16. madbad

madbad Regular Member

:D:D It is well known the CHN badminton factory keeps churning out these hidden gems. Where do they find them?? :p:p

17. jamesklass

jamesklass New Member

Physician
    Ashwini won a gold at the 20016 South Asian Games

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

I've heard many indian commentators and news channels reporting that Ashwini Ponnappa has the fastest smash in women's category which was recorded at Paris world championships.
    is it true?

19. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Fastest smash most probably goes to Yu Yang, Wang Xiao Li or Tian Qing.

20. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

thanks.....i also think that this should be true....however i read this article...:
    Ashwini Ponappa has the distinction of having recorded thefastest smash in the women's game to her credit. The 22-year-old Bangalorean, whopartners Jwala Gutta, came up with that career-defining smash during theSudirman Cup in China in March.