User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard many indian commentators and news channels reporting that Ashwini Ponnappa has the fastest smash in women's category which was recorded at Paris world championships.
    is it true?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fastest smash most probably goes to Yu Yang, Wang Xiao Li or Tian Qing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by george@chongwei View Post
    Fastest smash most probably goes to Yu Yang, Wang Xiao Li or Tian Qing.
    thanks.....i also think that this should be true....however i read this article...:
    Ashwini Ponappa has the distinction of having recorded thefastest smash in the women's game to her credit. The 22-year-old Bangalorean, whopartners Jwala Gutta, came up with that career-defining smash during theSudirman Cup in China in March.

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sports Ministry gives cash awards to 158 athletes
    Friday, 11 May 2012

http://www.indiansportsnews.com/hot-...athletes-.html

Excerpt:

Among other awardees, India's women badminton combine of Ashwini Ponnapaa and Jwala Gutta received Rs.2.25 lakh each for their bronze medals in World Cup at London.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    Sports Ministry gives cash awards to 158 athletes
    Friday, 11 May 2012

http://www.indiansportsnews.com/hot-...athletes-.html

Excerpt:

Among other awardees, India's women badminton combine of Ashwini Ponnapaa and Jwala Gutta received Rs.2.25 lakh each for their bronze medals in World Cup at London.
    Approx how much in $US?

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by madbad View Post
    Approx how much in $US?
    Allegedly, USD 4,500 approx...

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have nothing to lose, everything to gain: Jwala Gutta
    Mohammed Shafeeq IANS - HYDERABAD
    12th July 2012

http://newindianexpress.com/sport/article565294.ece

Excerpts:

The glamorous shuttler, Jwala Gutta realises the enormous responsibility she has on her shoulders, but at the same time she feels honoured to be taking part in two Olympic events. (Express photo)

Jwala Gutta, the first Indian to qualify for two badminton events at the Olympics, says she has nothing to lose and everything to gain from the London Games.

Jwala, who has made it to the women's and mixed doubles, is excited about her prospects, more so because the venue is Wembley where she and her partner Ashwini Ponnappa had won the bronze medal at the World Championships last year.

"Expectations have always been there. Somehow I have not felt any pressure till now. I am not scared of losing. Important thing is to perform, to put up a good show. This is my first Olympics. I don't think I have anything to lose at the Olympics, everything to gain. I am going to go there and give it my best shot," a confident Jwala told IANS in an interview.

..."I also like playing in UK. The way they present the tournament, the way they host is always very good," she said.
    Jwala believes the conditions also should suit her style of playing as the shuttles will be clearly visible and there will be no glare.

"London is not going to be very cold. It is going to be summer over there. I don't think there will be any problem."

Jwala is of the view that being an aggressive player helps her. "I am not scared of anybody, no matter who he or she is, or which country they belong to. That is how I have been from childhood. That is the style of my game."

..."There is no pre-planned strategy as such, you have to go there with an open mind. I have to be mentally present that day to play a match. Once that happens, I think everything will fall in place."

She added: "Mental strength is mentally being present there at that moment. It is very important because everybody is going to be very fit and everybody has worked hard for this opportunity. Only a person who is mentally strong that day wins the match."

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Jwala and I have a good chance of winning a medal: Ashwini

FirstPost.com July 16, 2012

http://www.firstpost.com/sports/jwal...ni-378468.html

Excerpts:

New Delhi: From being an unknown junior to representing India at the Olympics, Ashwini Ponnappa has come a long way in the last four years and the shuttler believes she and her partner Jwala Gutta have a bright chance of winning a medal at London Games.

...“We have been practicing hard every morning and evening under (Syed Mohammed) Arif sir at the Lal Bahadur Shastri Indoor Stadium and Edwin (Iriawan) at Gachibowli and I think we have a good chance of winning a medal,” she said.

“Arif sir is very patient and Edwin has also been pushing us hard and we believe we have the capability to win a medal at the Games. We know we can do it and we are focusing on the job but it is a process and we have to go through that. We really want to come back with a medal,” she added.

Asked about the areas they are working on, Ashwini said: “I am working on my drops and strokes from the back and court movement, while Jwala has been putting a lot of hard work on her fitness. She has been dieting and lost a lot of weight.”

...Asked whom she is looking forward to meeting, the 24-year-old from Bangalore said: “Though I would want to meet all of them but it won’t be possible. So may be Roger Federer, especially after his Wimbledon triumph and Usain Bolt.”

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A nice promo for India at the LOG, featuring Jwala and Ashwini....

Enjoy!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Time to Cheer" India's theme song for the Olympics, also featuring Ashwini

Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is a bit dated, but worth a look...

http://www.ndtv.com/video/player/new...dminton/241379

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It seems jwala is very much stubborn going with her wordly battle against sponsors and even BAI for not paying attention to women's doubles players though they perform for their nation in fullfledged manner.

Here comes her interview:

"http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-11-12/badminton/35049195_1_indian-badminton-league-jwala-gutta-saina"

EXCERPTS:

" Everyone wants to be visible. There has been a lot of discrimination and that's why only one or two players have all the endorsements and ad campaigns. Other players don't get anything despite doing equally well. We haven't been supported by our own...when your own association doesn't acknowledge your win, who will? "

I leave it to sponsors and endorsement companies to look into this and consider her plea in near future..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jwala Gutta is such a trip. Pure entertainment. I'm sure she will write a book pretty soon and I wanna watch all her movies. She will probably have a short role in a movie and then complain that the big stars got more time on the screen even though she worked just as hard. I love Jwala Gutta.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vixter View Post
    Jwala Gutta is such a trip. Pure entertainment. I'm sure she will write a book pretty soon and I wanna watch all her movies. She will probably have a short role in a movie and then complain that the big stars got more time on the screen even though she worked just as hard. I love Jwala Gutta.
    Abslutely.... With that logic... a cameramen should get more than an actor.... may be more as the cameramen works much much harder Why is the world so harsh on some.... lol

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rajat_remar View Post
    I've heard many indian commentators and news channels reporting that Ashwini Ponnappa has the fastest smash in women's category which was recorded at Paris world championships.
    is it true?
    Yup.. It is absolutely true. She is the hardest hitter of the shuttle in the world.

http://newindianexpress.com/sport/article483631.ece?service=print

Excerpts:

"Though Ashwini is 5.5-foot tall, she is the hardest hitter of the shuttle in the world. Her overhead smash touched the speed of 260 kmph at the Paris World Championship last year."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think that would have changed since then because when ever i see Wang Xiaoli or Tian Qing smash it seems almost like a smash in MD...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rajat_remar View Post
    I think that would have changed since then because when ever i see Wang Xiaoli or Tian Qing smash it seems almost like a smash in MD...
    I am talking about the recorded and official announcement, not about the one which looked like or seems like world record.. Do you have any record for that...?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast