Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jwala-Ashwini set to team up

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/jw...am-up/1154543/

EXCERPTS
    :

India's most successful doubles pair of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa will be reuniting again. The two, after parting ways after the London Olympics last year, are likely to be seen in action as early as October.

Speaking to The Indian Express Jwala said, "Ashwini and I have spoken to each other and we think it is best for the country and for us that we play together because we complement each other very well and we have achieved success at the World Championships and the Commonwealth Games. We are planning to start playing together again from October."

"Looking at the results at the recent World Championships, I believe that Ashwini and I must team-up together again because we are the best combination. We won the bronze two years ago at the World Championships," Jwala said.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, that is interesting news! I would like to hear what Ashwini has to say about it. I am glad, they are a very entertaining pair to watch.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ashwini Ponnappa-Jwala Gutta to renew partnership in Denmark

http://www.sportskeeda.com/2013/09/0...rship-denmark/

EXCERPTS:

Doubles shuttler Ashwini Ponnappa will join hands with former partner Jwala Gutta once again, starting from the Denmark Open Super Series Premier Oct 15-20.

The 2011 World Championships women’s doubles bronze medallists will also play the French Open Super Series (Oct 22-27) and the Bitburger SaarLoxLux Open Grand Prix Gold (Oct 29-Nov 3) together.

“Next set of matches are in oct where @Guttajwala & I would play women’s doubles and @KonaTarun n I mixed doubles. Looking forward to it ,” Ashwini had tweeted.

The successful combine separated after Jwala decided to take a sabbatical following the London Olympics last year. Since then, Ashwini has been playing with Pradnya Gadre.

The 23-year-old Coorgi will, however, skip the China Masters Super Series and the Japan Open Super Series in September.

“We will train and get fit in that period and get back to the tournaments after that,” the Commonwealth Games gold medallist told IANS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I kinda dislike Ashwini...No offence,but she always makes some incredibly stupid mistakes which contributes to her team regardless of whichever good partners (mixed doubles) to lose some dear points.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

They won the Indian National Championships just recently. Another headache and earache for Indian Badminton Association!

Jwala is never far away from the papers with her comments.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    They won the Indian National Championships just recently. Another headache and earache for Indian Badminton Association!

I watched the match in which she played with aswini against the BAI's pet pair. Actually speaking, she didn't work hard in the court as usual but she made shouts like "go go go" "come on" etc. All the work , aswini had to do. Really pity. But jwala's craft is good, she plays well near the net. She is tall girl with 6 feet height.

Funny thing was when she received the medal from BAI chief who announced an incredible decision of banning Jwala from the badminton circuit. I actually wanted prajaktha sawant(who also has "very good" cordial relation with BAI) to win the title with her partner but she lost in the semis unfortunately.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jwala Gutta cleared of all charges by Badminton Association of India: reports

http://sports.ndtv.com/othersports/b...-india-reports

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scorpion1 View Post
    I watched the match in which she played with aswini against the BAI's pet pair. Actually speaking, she didn't work hard in the court as usual but she made shouts like "go go go" "come on" etc. All the work , aswini had to do. Really pity. But jwala's craft is good, she plays well near the net. She is tall girl with 6 feet height.

Funny thing was when she received the medal from BAI chief who announced an incredible decision of banning Jwala from the badminton circuit. I actually wanted prajaktha sawant(who also has "very good" cordial relation with BAI) to win the title with her partner but she lost in the semis unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post

Ashwini Ponnappa really needs a faster, explosive, less error-prone partner.
    Jwala Gutta can't move, can't guard, can't grab points and, er, can't shut up.

It's almost unfair to the hardworking Ponnappa.
    Sadly, the rest of the Indian girls aren't quite there yet.

Nevertheless, since Ponnappa is a hard hitter, teaming up with Pradnya Gadre (or Siki Reddy or Prajakta Sawant) might actually yield better dividends.

There's little sense in maintaining the Ponnappa-Gutta partnership simply because they won in the past.
    There's nothing that even remotely looks promising about Gutta's current game and fitness levels.

Jwala Gutta has become the Indian version of Koo Kien Keat (minus the skills, of course) - unfit, unruly and unable to win.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Goodness me, not again!

Ponnappa & Gutta lost to a 'cardboard pair' from Thailand.
    21-14, 21-11

21-11???

No prizes for guessing whose game was lousy.
    BAI, get Ponnappa a new partner before she quits the game in disgust and frustration.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

One could say, Gutta needs to re-examine her priorities in life. But then, could one even trust her to make a sensible re-examination? I think not. She needs to be forced to make a choice, now. Anything less will not work. And being the contrary type of person she is, it would be best for BAI if they just let her go. She needs to prove herself as worthy of any partner. She needs to let go of her conspiracy theory soapbox and let her results do the talking.

A prima donna attitude can work -but only if it is backed up by dedication and effort. Gutta got nuthin'. And as a result, as you (oldhand) say, Ashwini got nuthin' but trouble.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a BIG fan of Jwala, hopefully she can REBOUND !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa are the 2nd seeds at All England qualification draw. Will probably have to battle Ma Jin and partner for a spot in the main draw. That should prove a difficult task I presume, hopefully they are up for the challenge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Time for Gutta to retire and focus more on glamorous life. Saw the game of JG/AP at India open super series 2014. The game lacked consistency/energy/focus.. hence of course lost end of the day...
    Mostly these folks play to keep their name up in the news to get some sponsorship's and money.
    Normally WD is least competitive compared to MD/WS/MX hence with sincere workout and focus one can win in this category. They have been playing for years and no wins, lost in 1st or 2nd round.. In the very past they won in Common Wealth because no competitive Badminton country plays it :-)

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^ The C/W title defense is the reason why they are probably paired together again or have decided to come together again.

It's just a false dawn. Ashwini has better things to do, surely.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have started gaining their form back...yupzzzz itz true and certainly very good news for india....they entered the semis of the v reacent ABC they also def. The Thai no.1 pair in straight sets...they will again meet this pair later this month in UC..ALL THE BEST...MAKE INDIA PROUD!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Jwala's performance in Uber cup is enough to silence her worst critics (for a while). And thank God she didn't quit, like someone suggested. India needs her, and she has shown the world why. Without her India would be left with really mediocre doubles pairings. Let her say or do what she like outside the court but lets hope she continues to play the same way.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While every media outlet is singing praises for Saina and Sindhu but the sole reason why India made it to the semis is because of this pair. Saina and Sindhu were expected to win all of their matches except for SN vs IR, at least on paper. Its the doubles pair that played well beyond what was expected of them and if not for them they would have never made it. The level of hypocrisy in Indian media is unbearable. They are first to react when the doubles lose but when they are the reason behind the win no body cares to praise them. Below is probably the only article that I came across that exclusively talks about the pair devoid of the Saina and Sindhu.

http://www.sportskeeda.com/badminton...spage-recent-8
    Last edited by rahuldarga; 05-27-2014 at 09:19 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast