User Tag List

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the problem with other countries is that they always find excuses to make themselves feel better for losing. an example of it is what maklike tier just posted. no one trains harder than the chinese but theres always criticism on how chinese system is backward, players dont enjoy themselves, products of communist propaganda, and so on. you wont win unless you believe and train to win. chinese are relatively poor per capita income basis but why do they win? its hardwork, dedication and nationalism. table tennis was dominated by the europeans. diving was dominated by the americans. chinese sports was a nobody be4. other countries can learn a thing or two from china but they have too much pride from the so called free world to learn from a lowly communist country. their mentality is we might have lost to the chinese, but we are better because we are free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not making excuses for anyone.

Heck, the Malaysian government has imprisioned and arrested twice now the leader of the opposition party on fake sodomy charges, so I'm hardly making any 'Malaysia vs China' political statements. Dumb vs Dumber, as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe try and get past my antagonism towards what I see as anachronistic nationalism and read the underlying message?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am convinced that LD win it fair and square. So, it will probably be the same next olympics. Lin Dan holds the key to who is going to win it.

4. Likes thokata liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You all forget, Lin Dan is left handed! That little but significant advantage is what makes Lin Dan better than LCW.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was heart-wrenching indeed. Watching that game.

Around 19-18, 3rd set, I saw Lin Dan charge the net as soon as LCW hit the drop, though he missed it, it scare the living hell out of me. If he have landed that, it'll be over for Lee.
    Then we again, have Lee Chong Wei leading with a championship point, and what do Lin Dan do? Smash his way to drew it.

Lin's mental strength is amazing. I never seen anything quite like it.

When the shuttle hits the net and sealed the game, it broke my heart. And seeing Chong Wei on the screen hurts even more. However, I kept watching, this is Lee Chong Wei, and the result of his incredible stand against his nemesis, himself, and his country.

Lee Chong Wei, you don't need to apologize to Malaysia. You have gave it your all. And I believe, the whole of Malaysia will be right behind you again when you're preparing for London. Cry now, it was tough, very tough, after you done crying, wipe your tears, and know that there will be be others, still waiting eagerly for you to wear your leaf crown at OG2012.

Forever a fan.
    AirStyles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneToughBirdie View Post
    Era, please don;t cry or else I cry with you sure the malaysian sun will come out blazing hot and a new dawn will come, there is still hope cos' OLY gold is bigger target. Have a beer and sleep well....just avoid Tsingtao beer, those are Chinese stuff and LD is Chinese player so don't support Tsingtao beer even those they taste good...on second thought, cry out loud if it makes you feel better, I will cry along with you
    Uncle OTb, how can ask Era drink beer, she's muslim lah .plus now is fasting month.but yeah, as Msian fan we are sad for LCW. We sad for 1 day,life goes on, it's not our rice bowl. LCW must be 100 times more sad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneToughBirdie View Post
    Era, please don;t cry or else I cry with you sure the malaysian sun will come out blazing hot and a new dawn will come, there is still hope cos' OLY gold is bigger target. Have a beer and sleep well....just avoid Tsingtao beer, those are Chinese stuff and LD is Chinese player so don't support Tsingtao beer even those they taste good...on second thought, cry out loud if it makes you feel better, I will cry along with you
    hehehe... Uncle OTB, thank you ...

Quote Originally Posted by eaglehelang View Post
    Uncle OTb, how can ask Era drink beer, she's muslim lah .plus now is fasting month.but yeah, as Msian fan we are sad for LCW. We sad for 1 day,life goes on, it's not our rice bowl. LCW must be 100 times more sad.
    It's true, can't drink that stuff... but still I wanna cry... I even dreamed of seeing him crying last night, darn! Nightmare, nightmare...Kak eagle, aduh, my heart bleeding so much la, how? Even now... aduh! Don't dare check my blood pressure... *faint* I think I'm gonna cry tonight, not now cos I can't go into meeting this afternoon with red eyes...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

----------------------------

LCW is a great player...

But the Malaysian country and government are the culprits for putting too much pressure on him.
    Even MAS Prime Minister has to give him a call before LD match to tell him how important it is to win WC,LOL.
    LD has no pressure at all because he's won everything and CHN has like a zillion players with potential to
    replace him in future. Malaysia's badminton system problem is not quality but QUANTITY and DIFFERENCE IN CULTURE to other badminton nations.

Instead of asking LCW to beat LD all the time, we should be hoping for other capable players to hit top form
    and trouble LD, like Park Sung Hwan, Sho Sasaki and Taufik who we know are the ones more capable of
    dethroning the MASTER instead of LCW. or better still, persuade LYB to force LD to concede walkover in semis or quarters more often.

What would be nice is if LCW beats LD in Super Series tournaments more often.
    LCW may be the King of Super series but he stumbles against LD from time to time in SS(like in Korea Open).

p.s. I think LCW was a little tired in yesterday's WC final but he showed great mental strength to hide it from his opponent. LCW's usual game is full of speed and running like in AE. This shows LCW has matured mentally and knows how to get the best out of his games even when he's not playing well.

------------------------------
    Last edited by julianng; 08-15-2011 at 12:36 AM.

10. Likes george@chongwei liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maklike Tier View Post
    There's a glaring Elephant in the room that everyone - including foaming-at-the-mouth patriot Malaysians - don't really seem to be aware of. Read this slowly so it sinks in.....

In our lifetime, China will own EVERY SPORT THERE IS.

Okay let me clarify - every sport that has commercial leverage within the populous. Those that don't eventually will - it will just take longer.

The reason is simple. China has the recruitment network, and a talent base, that every other country doesn't even come close to. And they have the burgeoning middle class to keep the coffers stoked. The only thing that keeps countries like Denmark and Malaysia in the game is the sheer popularity of the sport.

The harsh reality is.....make the most of it.

Win or Lose, I love LCW, and it's not dependent on him winning. He's the hard working, human face of Badminton. He has frailties and weaknesses as do us all. Part of the joy of watching him play is the playing out of his 'self', and actually watching him grow and develop as the years roll on. I like the fact that he clearly has nerves. I like the fact that he has a new found confidence and less passive type of play than he had, even a year ago. At the end of the day, it's good television.

The flip side to that coin, is Lin Dan. A methodical by-product of the Chinese sport-military complex. A poster boy for the ruling party - pure propaganda. Just look at the cheering minions, even in London.

It would be easy to argue I think, that LCW in a different environment would be better than Lin Dan. Technically and physically they're both on-par, but the difference is largely the external factors. For example, LCW actually has to work for a living, so he plays more competitions than LD, he works harder than LD. Badminton China has an overall gameplan for cherry-picked tournaments for LD, as well as a large repository of 'domestiques' to muddy the waters, which we're seeing clearly in the lead up to the Olympics.

The thing that I've noticed even at a club level is that there is really a lack of the appreciation for the sport, and like all human endeavours, there's a visceral humanity to everything that we do, and when it's taken out of the equation, we all lose. Who could get joy from watching Lin Dan win, aside from the callous, well indoctrinated, the brutal? There is no joy, no melodrama, no journey. Just by-product.

Malaysians? Enjoy it for what it is, while you can.

Great post mate. It's like you read my mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is an aspect of M'sia badminton establishment that has never been analysed closely.
    If you look at the status of M'sia singles badminton now, there are no one in the 2nd echelon to take over from LCW or even close. The 2nd echelon players were and are still coached by Rashid all the way, since during the days when Tan Kim Hock was the National Coach. When Kim Hock moved out to look after the juniors (as now), Rashid moved up as the national Coach together with the squad that were elevated to become the so-called "back-up" players, in effect, the 2nd echelon. None of them shine.
    Now Rashid is also LCW's coach,. Did any of you guys saw him muttered a single word in any of the matches that he sat as a court-side coach?
    I felt very strongly that M'sia's somewhat sorry state of MS players is a direct result of having people with no experience whatsoever in coaching but has "other qualities" doing the "coaching".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by julianng View Post
    ----------------------------

p.s. I think LCW was a little tired in yesterday's WC final but he showed great mental strength to hide it from his opponent. LCW's usual game is full of speed and running like in AE. This shows LCW has matured mentally and knows how to get the best out of his games even when he's not playing well.

------------------------------
    disagree with this statement as you are more of a watcher rather than a player.
    an average player (plays 3 times a week) can appear god-like when playing against a novice. won't break a sweat.

but if the same player is up against an advanced player (trains daily, plays abt 5 times a week) then he/she will suffer hell.

so in all likelihood, LD didn't allow LCW time and space to move like he normally does yesterday.
    it was pressure from the word go where even the slightest mistake wld be punished.

anyway, let's thanks that only LCW can draw the best of of LD. nobody else can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^^ No way that LCW was tired yesterday. If so, LD would've been more tired as he had less time to rest after the SF with PG that stretched the full 3 games and over 1 hour.

15. Likes kwun liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by miss.boon View Post
    disagree with this statement as you are more of a watcher rather than a player.
    an average player (plays 3 times a week) can appear god-like when playing against a novice. won't break a sweat.

but if the same player is up against an advanced player (trains daily, plays abt 5 times a week) then he/she will suffer hell.

so in all likelihood, LD didn't allow LCW time and space to move like he normally does yesterday.
    it was pressure from the word go where even the slightest mistake wld be punished.

anyway, let's thanks that only LCW can draw the best of of LD. nobody else can.
    Maybe, but there's no real way to tell because every player can use different tactics in different games.

LCW and LD do change their tactics quite often against different players.

Maybe LD/LCW tactic yesterday was cancel and block each other's movements.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by julianng View Post
    Maybe, but there's no real way to tell because every player can use different tactics in different games.

LCW and LD do change their tactics quite often against different players.

Maybe LD/LCW tactic yesterday was cancel and block each other's movements.
    what was indeed impressive that LD still appeared very fresh after the titanic battle while LCW was totally gutted and even suffered cramps with nausea.
    i am wondering to what extent the psychological damage LD had inflicted.
    Even with blistering pre-final form and peak physical fitness, some more with the luxury of a faster semi-final against chen jin, LD still pawned him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by miss.boon View Post
    what was indeed impressive that LD still appeared very fresh after the titanic battle while LCW was totally gutted and even suffered cramps with nausea.
    i am wondering to what extent the psychological damage LD had inflicted.
    Even with blistering pre-final form and peak physical fitness, some more with the luxury of a faster semi-final against chen jin, LD still pawned him.
    LCW suffered cramps and nausea?? if the is any hurt, it is LCW's regret on a few mistake in the 3rd game.

The way I look at it. LCW is thinking I will not LD to have another lucky escape in future. LCW actually leading most of the time in 3rd game and the 1st game.

If you see carefully, it was LD facing up hill battle and do all the catch up all the time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To a couch badminton fan, it may look that LD was chasing but in fact, it was he who was controlling the pace of the game.Except for the two game points in the 1st game.

20. Likes twobeer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's no good saying Chinese size of population makes them unbeatable, by that logic denmark would never beat England let alone malaysia. It's culture, history, mindset, coaching, opportunity and many other things beyond size

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast