Any basketball fans here?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Phil, May 20, 2003.

1. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Hey, anyone pay attention to the NBA and whatnot? I was so glad the Spurs beat the Lakers. Lakers were too proud and had a really big ego. They're all Shaq, and he's only good because he is so huge he bulldozes anyone in his way. He doesn't have much skill and finesse, just plows his way through. He should go back to rapping. And Kobe can put out big numbers, but not when they counted, which was the last game with San Antonio. Duncan proved he was MVP in the last game. I think they're gonna go all the way, even though they lost to the Mavs last night.

Yao Ming should be getting better next year, too bad he didn't get Rookie Of The Year. I think he did more good things than Amare, and had a more difficult time since everyone wanted to dunk on him and rough him up, but he stood up to the challenge. Oh well, hopefully Rockets make the playoffs next year.

And if Toronto gets the #1 pick, I want to see Lebron James in a Raptors jersey. :)

Phil

2. ntpm

ntpm Regular Member

Database Administrator
    Yeah it's too bad that the Spurs lost last night...they weren't as consistant at the charity stripe as the Mavs were...I'm rooting for the Spurs to go all the way!!!

Although it would be nice to see LeBron in a Raptors jersey, they have a much more pressing need....some quality big men!!!

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

Errr... don't know...

Even though, surely not a Shaq fan, but I respect his skill (but kinda does not like his personality some times). As a 300+ guy, how many ppl can run or pass as he does? Sure, he bully his way through, but that's the way he plays and the way to survive. I don't see any other 7 ft 300lb big man can run and turn as fast as he does, in one of the game he even led a fast break (drill end to end by himself). Of course, if he can have better free throw (already improved), then he will be good. If we just say "nah, he just big", it's like cursing Wilt Chamblen (sorry, might spell wrong), say, "nah, he just tall" (at that time, Wilt is 7ft, and a lot of team's PF and C are less than 6'10).

We need to respect everyone has different style of playing. If u r small, then, u might be rely on ur quickness and agility. If u r big, then, powertrain through the defense is nothing wrong. It's like football strategies. Small and quick QB and WB, half backs drew a lot of attention on high lights. However, those big 300lb LB and 250+ full backs also deserve to be all stars or even hall of fame for the portions that they bring to the team.

To me, as long as a player can utlize his nature gift and contribute to his team, then he's good. Therefore, if a guy is tall and strong, why we just say, "hey, why u keep going down low"??? What else we ask him to do? Everyone dribble like Kidds, and shooting 3-pts like Kerr / Bird / West???

Well, agree, since Kings and Lakers are out, Spurs should have the best chance to raise the trophy this time. ;)

4. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Seems I was hard on Shaq now that I read what I wrote, but I still think his game could be better if he worked on something in the off-season like, I dunno, a jump-shot or something. Players like Bird would work hard in off-season to improve, while Shaq just reminds everyone "who's the man." And LB, you are very right in that he is using what he has. He was voted by coaches before as the one player they would most like on their team receiving 100% of the votes.

There is another 7' 300lbs man who can move as fast as he can...Yao Ming (7'5"/296lbs). :) I really want him to havea great season next year, so he can prove he was the rightful Rookie of the Year. I think many votes were for Amare because he was the most surprising rookie, but he is a role player for the Suns, while Yao is a key player for the Rockets. Amare doesn't draw double-teams and defences geared specifically for him, while Yao does.

Phil

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. Shaq does work hard during off season. Not really jump shot, but recent years, he did developed in passing and dribbling. This way, he can pass out to teammates for open shot. Of course, if he has better free threw, or even extend his shooting range a little bit more, surely will be a bonus.

2. Yao Ming is quick and has better shooting for a tall guy. However, he needs to work on his strength (upper body, especially). At the 2nd half of the season, many team just push him around, and his # seems not as "superior" and consistent (at least the last 10-20 games) as his "hot span". Of course, can't ask for too much for a rookie. He's already doing well, and the future should be bright.

3. For Amare, can't really say he's just a "over rated" player. True, there's a lot of debates over "rookie of the yr", but Suns are in the playoff, and Rockies not. I think this really hurt Yao's chance. Also, purely speaking, Yao has been playing in CBA leagues and international competition, but Amare just came out of from High school. In this case, if he can really perform like this, it's very valueable for a guy not even 20 yrs old. Plus, without Amare's reb and def inside, Suns can go no where near where they are at right now. So, he did change a lot for the team.

6. GuO_JiNg

GuO_JiNg New Member

well im a huge Yao Ming supporter, ive suported him since he played for the Shanghai Sharks, and i reakcon hes dong very well, and that the other are being hard on him, possibly because his azn, and they c this as a black game????....
    oh well anyway Yao Ming do ur thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    I use to watch basketball games on tv all the time but now, it just lost its appeal to me. I only watch some of the playoff games now and then and I'd like to see the mavs win it this time although spurs might have a better chance at it.

with regards to yao ming, he would be better off on another team and away from the ego of steve francis and cuttino mobley.

8. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

well...i know the lakers are mainly based on shaq and kobe..but for me, i like to cheer for the "winning" team..and at the time, the lakers was the team i was cheering for (like come on..3 championships..why not make it 4 in a row)... Well, since their out, i've decided to cheer for the mavericks..since i almost never cheer for the team that beats the team i was cheering for (this being san antonio)....lookin at the mismatch now though...mavs losing 3-1 in the series...i'm going to have to root for san antonio if they win cause i dispise the eastern conference and i hope new jersey loses:D

9. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

a shame eh? 4th overall pic...no chance with any good pics..

10. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    I can't play basketball because everytime I play it, I will get injuried as if there is a curse on me!!:(

11. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Re: Re: Any basketball fans here?

And even worse, now Detroit has the 2nd overall pick! They are already a good team, making East Finals, and now they can get another strong player. Word is they are most likely drafting Carmelo Anthony.

Phil

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: Re: Re: Any basketball fans here?

Carmelo Anthony???

I mean, seems DET has some talent in SF/SG already. They have Rip Hamilton, Prince in F, and Billups in G. Why not pick the 7'0 young center? I mean, Big Ben surely good, but if u add another 7'0 with him, DET can only do better.

Big Ben is a good PF, but his too small to compete other teams PF and C combined (look at NJ killing DET in Reb). Therefore, if they take a shot at the 7'0 center, I think it will make more sense. Also, when $$$ avaiable, I think it's easier to sign a good G/F in FA market, than a good center.

13. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    Re: Re: Re: Any basketball fans here?

Carmelo Anthony is awesome. Pretty much the top 3 are really good and then theres a drop off. They should just skip the whole lottory thing.

14. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Aaauggh! Lakers are getting Payton AND Malone! Main concern for most people is how they will share the ball. Of course, with Payton and Malone taking huge pay cuts, it can be assumed that they will be more willing to be secondary scoring options. Funny what happens when players pick winning over money. :)

Phil

15. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    I can't wait for the next season to start so I can follow the "Little Giant" again. I didn't follow basketball ever since VanCoover Grizz left town (I know, I know, why them?? But I just love all Coover teams).

Then when Yao was chosen #1, I followed Houston like a semi-fanatic. I think his first season was great and he made many spectacular "Sports Highlight" plays. However, he collapsed down the stretch in the last ~10 games or so, and that DID contribute to Rockets not making playoffs. But, it was expected as he had loads of pressure on him, coming in from a league that was inferior than the NBA. I think main reason Amare won ROY was cuz his team made playoffs - the judges did not focus on the fact that Amare was used to this style of play and Yao had to adapt completely.

This coming season, I hope new Rockets coach Van Gundy will utilize Yao more and get the ball to him much more than Rudy did. I think Yao should be hitting in the 20.0 ppg next season, 10.0 rpg, 2.5 bpg, and 4.0 APG. Also, I think Stevie Franchise and the Cat can do more with Yao in the middle and get more plays THROUGH him.

His biggest asset is that he can play power down the post resembling that of Shaq yet still retains a manueverability that outdoes Shaq.

Good luck to Yao.

On another note, what was everybody's favorite Yao play on the past season?

Mine was his "Shanghai Shake" against Pacers earlier in the season where he resembled Hakeem the "Dream" Olajuwon.

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. This tough result also has something to do with the int. coach (Smith?) when Rudy T. is in the hospital. Seems Smith just don't quite want to let Yao involved, and prefer Cato over him. I can understand Cato has better reb and strength, but Yao is surely a better scoring weapon, especially if the game is very close, the HOU looking for another tall guy to score.

2. I am highly doubt about ur expection. I think Yao will improve, but not by such a big margin. If he gets some successful weight / strength training, he might being able to get 16+ ppg, 8+ rpg, 2 bpg, and 3 apg. Never forget, Western conference (especially the top teams) is even tougher than before, with the additional all stars / good players.

17. wunderbar

wunderbar Regular Member

Man, I think its really cheap to take pay cuts like that (Malone) just to try to get the best chance to win a championship ring and stack up a team. I don't think he would feel proud even if the Lakers do win it this coming year. Where would the challenge be??..He's no longer a go to guy since you have Shaq and Kobe as option 1 and 2. I really think there's going to be a problem with chemistry if they start stringing some losses together...there's already ego problems with Shaq and Kobe. Look at Kidd, he had a chance to go to San Antonio but he stayed with the team that he turned around.

Also, whats with some of these free agent signings going on...Olowakandi (I think he sucks IMO) ... Maggette (good but not worth that much)... Mourning (he'll be another grant hill because I doubt his health will hold up for the full NBA season..no offense, they are great players when healthy)? The only decent signings are the veteran players who have proven themselves like Kidd, Duncan, Payton, Brand, etc..Anyway, just need to let out some steam with some of things going on in the NBA signings.

18. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    I agree completely with that! These athletes take paycuts just so they can stack up on the best team around and have high chance to take championship. Not that he should be getting paid more (all of pro atheletes are millionaires anyhow!!:()

To change to another sport with same idea, I have to bring up Paul Kariya. He signed with the Avalanche recently for 1.2 million(!!!!!!!!) while Anaheim was willing to give him around what, 10 mill(?). So, now the Aves with half their team filled with superstars have an incredible chance for Lord Stanley. All the respect I had for PK in the past is now almost down to nil. I wouldn't even cheer for him if he came to the Canucks.

19. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    LB,

I know my expectations/hopes/prayers for Yao's stats next year may be a little too high, but it's not completely impossible. We all saw what Yao could do with the Shanghai Sharks (he completely dominated the league), even though it was not as competitive as NBA, and also we only saw a SMALL glimpse of what type of potential player he could become with gained exp.

With Coach Van Gundy's experience and good record, I think next season Houston's gonna make the playoffs and Yao will be a crucial cornerstone in helping them achieve that goal.

20. TOmike

TOmike Regular Member

Student
    well think about it guys

its easy for you to say that kind of thing, we can say "oh, malone is a band wagon rider, he just jumps on for the win".. but when u're play 15+ years on a good team without a championship it really sucks lol. no one wants to go out being a loser.. they want to win something. unfortunately the chance for my idol, Reggie Miller, passed after his Nba Finals of 2001/2002 i think it was.. damn :(

and how the hell did they manage to keep Jermaine O'Neal? other than the fact that his contract was triple figures million LOL