Lee Chong Wei is not the Only Wei

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by ants, Aug 16, 2011.

1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Have not been posting for such a long time. On a hiatus and been busy doing my own stuffs. So this is my two cents worth on
    the direction of the Badminton's Condition in Malaysia.

My heart goes all out to our Dato my friend Lee Chong Wei. He has done his best and his best is still not good enough for
    those who demands the extreme best from him in this recent World Championship in Wembley 2011 Edition.

He lost to Lin Dan whom i believe that is one of the best player ever lived and deserve a spot in the Badminton Hall of Fame.

Everyone has his ups and downs in sports. Lin Dan learned his way especially a HUMILIATING DEFEAT to Chong Wei during
    Malaysia Open 2006 Finals where Chong Wei trailed 13-20 in the final set and won that match. What happened after that, we all know that Lin Dan just lost his temper and got BOOED.

It was one of the lowest moment in Lin Dan's career in Badminton and he worked extra hard after that and wowed to himself
    that it will not happen to him again.

So what happened in that game in 2006 and the recent 2011 WC? The tables are turned this time. Then LinDan was the favorite
    and Chong Wei took a lot of gamble in his shots and it paid off.
    This time during the world championship, LCW is still the favorite and ranked #1. Lin Dan basically have nothing to lose, he has won this WC few times. He played his game plan well. Lee Chong Wei didn't gamble his shots when he leads 20-18 in the last set. Its just the Nation hope for the Chong Wei to win it all. It's a burden for him. And in the end he crumbled! Not his fault. Im
    pretty sure he did his preparation and i believe he was in his best condition EVER during this year's World Championship.

Hats off to Chong Wei.

What i am not happy about is really about the condition of Badminton in Malaysia. It has been discussed and argued many or
    even dozens of times. In fact it has gone from Good - Bad - Worse. It went the opposite. Every time i see the tournament
    schedules and calendar.. all i see is only 2 Malaysia flags in the QF rounds or sometimes Semis which is either KKK/TBH and
    LCW. In the END it is only LCW who is carrying the Malaysian flag.

What happened to MALAYSIA? Even countries like Japan, Thailand , Chinese Taipei and Singapore is catching up very fast and
    even surpassed us.

Malaysia is no longer a badminton power house.

What went wrong? The Association and the way that trainings is being conducted as well as the welfare of the players. Lack of discipline is one thing. We had the all time great coaches with us from Morten Frost - Li Mao - Han Jian - Rexy and you can
    name it all you want.

Coaches say, we cannot train our players the way players are trained in China or Korea. WHY NOT i say? What are you worry
    about? Is it because the players always have a BACK DOOR solutions from "OUTSIDERS"? Or the coaches cannot make
    DECISIONS?

Japanese players themselves have part time job and not undergoing full-time training unless if it is some big tournament when they go centralized training.

We will not change the current condition of our badminton if the organization does not change. Perhaps we will still going to
    talk about this even after the Olympics 2012.

Best recommendation is that we should just send all our players to a remote area where they have no distractions. Do they
    want it bad enough? Deep in their heart and soul to make something big in their lives? DISCIPLINE is the issue. Lee Chong Wei may have his distractions, but he is discipline enough to make it big. And i would say that he is one of a kind in our Malaysian
    badminton scene.

We already have younger players who is talented, my only worry is that they will also get "polluted" like that had happened
    to our senior players once they upgraded their ranks.

Whatever it is, i pray something will happen for the better for our Badminton in Malaysia and i would love to see ourself as a
    powerhouse. It's all or nothing for now.

Ants

2. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Whatever it is, it can't be solve in a day, a week or even a year. :p

Even If it happens with major changes, no one can really tell the outcome :D

The transition period is even more worrying :eek:

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    The problem is they don't even dare to take that step in CHANGE. Its has been years. I would rather make small sacrifices than to have a snowball effect on the way its being handled now. Sooner or later... we will be behind Chinese Taipei or even Singapore. And Loh will be very happy about it. :)

4. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    IMHO, these guys can't even resist MacDonald during the WC. Tell me about it man... talking about discipline. For their glory as well as the whole nation and the fans. Is that MacDonald worth it? Do you think that will cost 1 point in the finals?

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    well, they got to eat *something*... why not McD's? ;)

6. extremenanopowe

Not sure if the USA athletes are encouraged to do so during important events? If they do, I am sure most will go out and enjoy it. Eg. at Olympic sites? You reckon MCD food is healthy? ;)

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    not sure what they are encourage to eat. i was looking through one of them's fb gallery and they were eating some mexican like thing (maybe a fajita with pita bread) in a diner... ;)

when you are in a unfamiliar city esp one where there are riots around, maybe the safest food (in two different senses) is McD?

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Wow ants, I love your post after such a long hiatas - introspect, hopelessness, questioning, daring, fiery and demanding.

I sympathize with our Malaysian BCers. As I watched LCW slowly succumbed by his own mental block against a determined LD in the final stages, I too almost cried that he could not win despite being in such an excellent condition just prior to this historic meeting with his nemesis.

I was also at a loss and in despair to see KKK/TBH being trivailized by KOR's second MD pair. I can't help thinking it has to do with their mental strength or lack of it, as it did to LCW.

But I don't think MAS will deteriorate in the way you described it but this is perhaps a timely wake-up call to BAM and its affiliates. Indeed your stress on discipline is paramount. SBA has had such problems with ZBW whose standard has naturally dropped and is now not fit to be in the national team.

IMHO, it will take a long, long time for SIN to have enough calibre players in all categories to make a challenge in the international arena. But if our players show flashes of brilliance, such as when Derek Wong beat Taufik Hidayat and our young XD pair reached the QF in this WC, it gives us hope. We also hope at least one of our girls like Gu Juan can also brighten things up for us from time to time.

But I will be shockingly pleased if SIN can reach MAS' level, but to overtake MAS is a pipe-dream. :D

Welcome back ants!

9. extremenanopowe

With such a big contingent including those 'hopeless' people around to put on the pressure, I am sure BAM must have thought of getting a place where a cook can prepare meals for them. Or get someone to order it. This is what I call professional planning. ;) I wonder if there is a dietitian in the camp. If there is one, he would probably get fired. ;)

10. extremenanopowe

Maybe we can open a thread on 'What really went wrong or the 'cause' of it'. Hopefully BAM will wake up. ;)

I believe all those info will help them tho. Not to BAM, but for the players as a whole. ;) Discipline is critical at the highest stage. ;)

#10 extremenanopowe, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  11. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    If we are talking about wc players then they have to follow a strict nutrition plan given to them,

before and during the tournament unless of course they are out of the tournament

or an extra midnight snack :D

Having mexican food for dinner? Omg ... Not only food even water they have to be careful !

I wonder what the high performance director Bata James has to say about this :D

12. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    BAM brought 2 cooks to London...maybe the McD food taste better;)

13. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Maybe Bata James is helping himself to McDonald too, generously paid for of course by tax-payers:D:p On Mexican food, didn't see Kwun said prepared where. If done in London, water is safe. When I went to Mexico resort 2x, the water we consumed are different from the locals. Food poisoning in a resort would hurt their tourism. On McD or any fast forward joints, if you ask or remove yourself the processed cheese, that is not that bad. If you ate fast food with the cheese thingie, you can feel the effect playing badminton, at least for me.

#13 OneToughBirdie, Aug 17, 2011
  14. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    If that's where Bata James had his dinner, I would say rather dumb of him :p

He should try old London china town cha kwueh tiaw (fried flatten mee?? :D)

after all I am sure his pocket money should be enough :D

Anyway seriously speaking what these players put McD in their tummy

is like you put in diesel in a formula 1 gas tank..

it goes ehmm..hmm.hmm...toot toot ... :D

#14 pBmMalaysia, Aug 17, 2011
  15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You can bring a cook to London but how do they cook the food. Where do they buy the food for themselves?

I have seen Lin Dan eat hotdog during a tournament - I took a photo of him doing so.:D

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I suspect Rexy's 1993 withdrawal was food poisoning. Didn't Bambang have the same problem as well?

On a visit to London, we ate in decent places but my daughter still got Salmonella poisoning.

17. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    It's the job of the cook to deliver the cooked food :D If he/she can only cook but can't find raw material type, salary should be cut half :DThen hire a local handy man :DEverything should have been planned and rehearsed months ago :p A snack in between the proper meal won't be doing any harm but having no nutrition planand let the players eat what they like is inviting trouble :D

18. anthony_6

anthony_6 Regular Member

definitely we will need a nutritionist in the camp... look at our msian second pair... i couldn't imagine how far hth could go if he shed some weights, what he needs is determination to do so and i believe he have all the resources in the world to do that. i myself lost almost 80 pounds in a year...

19. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Of course, Singapore can, Loh!MAS is just LCW and nothing else.MAS WS is nothing.MAS WD is nothing.MAS XD is nothing.MAS MD is going to be nothing.MAS MS is LCW plus nothing and may be nothing after 2013. SIN is improving and MAS is declining and at some point, SIN will overtake MAS. Actually,isn t it happening in WD, WS and XD already. And we have done it on 20% of MAS budget? And no big committee like CTC or lawyer brain. But we have quality sports science support.

20. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

You mean 2 useless pressure cookers doubling up as all expenses paid tourists?