What are your combos?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by little, Aug 16, 2011.

1. little

little New Member

I thought some older players would have some favorite or reliable ways to pressure the opponent or win the point.

Mine is: If they are close, clear to a corner, if they don't do a good clear back, dropshot to opposite corner(falling parallel with net if possible) and spike/smash the return.

Of course, hitting depending on their racket and feet position is best but having combos would help the mentality I think.

2. -Berg

-Berg Regular Member

when meeting a completely new opponent regardless of their skill, i prefer the "rule of thumb" : 2 high lob, 1 drop shot
    that combo is a good way to observe your opponent behavior (aggressiveness, shoot quality, and weakspot)

3. little

little New Member

Also, something I've seen pros do and works well if you have a strong clear is to just clear back and forth between each other until the opponent either does a bad clear (then you smash) or they get lazy and stay back (then you dropshot).

4. -Berg

-Berg Regular Member

yeah.. just like lin dan did to chong wei when they fought at the WBC final days ago..
    i dont know how many they clear each other.. both of them always clear it right, not short but not long from the baseline also.. until suddenly lin dan simply do a dropshot (chongwei get lazy and stayback, expecting a clear again but also ready to receive a fullpower smash~not a dropshot :))

5. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

There should not be any combos because there are too many ways the return to your shot could be. Just see what is the return shot n improvise accordingly w/ one principle, to pressurize your opponent into making mistakes or weak returns you can kill.

6. BadMNTN_abner

BadMNTN_abner Regular Member

student
    i've seen that too. and yeah, that was a witty move by lin dan..

7. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    Straight drop down the left line. Flick to the back hand. await soft clear, cross court smash.