Most Durable Stringing Method/Advice?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by R20190, Aug 17, 2011.

1. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Having done a few searches on the subject, there doesn't seem to be much mention of the best method for durability/string life. I've read lots of threads discussing ways to string faster, maintain tension etc but there are only scraps of information on the subject of durability.

As I don't have a huge amount of racquets to string usually, I'm in no rush to string racquets like others on here. I'm interested in making sure that each restring I do is done so that the player can get the best life out the strings (and racquet) at any tension.

I'd like to gather a few tips on this subject from experienced stringers to see if there are other ways to improve string life.

At present I string using the 2 knot method and I always fully pre-string/pre-weave the racquet. I do this because I feel that 4 knots would introduce higher stress areas along the string bed/frame as the knot tugs against the main strings and locks against the grommets on the frame.

I prefer pre-weaving because I feel that weaving and pulling the strings through the tensioned mains increases the wear of the string. Although admittedly this is quite minimal wear, I want to do as much as I can to prolong string life. It is more of a hassle as it’s a pain to weave against loose strings but it’s not a lot of extra work.

Does anyone else have tips or advice from experience on this?

2. GUENNIIIII

GUENNIIIII Regular Member

Industrial Manager
    sounds intresting. i just heard you should not play after restringing. So you just dont use the racket a week after restring and so the string could have more durability.

3. bbi2004

bbi2004 Regular Member

Best is Gosen's Haribito.

4. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I always leave me rackets (and customers') for at least 24 hrs before using to let all the stresses even out.

5. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    In the 90s, I use ashaway rally 21. I have to cut it off when the hairs popping out. Tension is gone of course. ;)

6. Udonming

Udonming Regular Member

I am doing the same thing too. But when a string is strung over time its initial property (repulsion....) will be gone and feels dull. Some players (not many) will cut and restring after certain period of playing. Normal players don't even know about this fact, they simply just keep on playing with the racket with the same string forever until it is physically broken through aging. Most string breakages I've observed is due to mis-hit, so your concern is kind of irrelevant.

7. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I would agree with this in that we should not use strings right up until they fray and eventually snap as you will loose a lot of performance. However my intention is primarily to find ways to not to allow strings to break prematurely such as ways to reduce abrasion during stringing, reducing stress points etc... so that the restringing process is not a contributing factor to string life.

Admittedly, my thinking is aimed at high tension stringing i.e. 26lb+ as this is where I feel the benefits would be felt.

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

My thinking behind my "grace period" is mostly towards preserving the frame, rather than the string, but I would argue that the classic "bathtub curve" of failure applies here as well.

Agreed - as the tension climbs, the relevance of stringing practises and care climbs with it.

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think we can divide into two category. extra care, and variation in pattern.

extra care:

- make sure all grommets are in good condition
    - get rid of all twists in strings
    - minimize abrasion on string coating (better clamps, adjust clamp tightness)
    - pull string diagonally and slowly to prevent burning the coating
    - some people even go as far as waxing the string before stringing
    - minimize cross over (less exposed string when frame scrape the ground)

variation in pattern:

- string one extra cross on top/bottom to prevent string breakage near the framve
    - someone mention using different pattern like haribito. not sure if that would help.

that's all i can think of for now. good topic and look forward to hear more ideas from other stringers.

10. BadFever

BadFever Regular Member

I like one of the suggestions from master Taneepak. Hand pull an extra cross on the top after finish stringing.

11. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    I always do as Kwun suggests, except waxing the string. I always stick to the stringing pattern as well. Then I also do the following:

(The experience below is based upon using Ashaway zymax 62 string)

After stringing I have found that getting the racket off the machine and straight on court is a bad idea, the string snaps very quickly (often after a few hits even for only slight off centre hits). Straightening the strings out helps a bit, although string breaks can still occur very quickly.

What I do is get the racket off the machine, straighten strings out, then tap the centre of the string bed on my rounded bed post (using a finger power net kill technique, not to hard) which helps make the string bed straighter still.

Then I leave the racket for two days before playing with it and once using it freshly strung don't go crazy and start powering smashes down straight away. Quite often I'll warm up with a freshly strung racket (less likely to mis hit, no pressure) with a few clears, drops drives and then lastly smashes. Then when a game starts I'll switch to the older strung racket. Obviously this only works if you have more than one of the same type of racket.