New rankings

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Mag, Mar 22, 2001.

1. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I must admit I'm very happy to see that my personal men's doubles favorites Jens Eriksen & Jespen Larsen have taken the #1 position in the latest IBF rankings!

2. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    ... And just to top it off, Jens Eriksen is also #2 in the mixed doubles with Mette Schjoldager...

3. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Let us know more of Swede badminton. Where are the

Thomas Khilstroms,Sture Johnsons, etc. You ought to

produce more people like Jan Ove Waldner etc to keep us in

the East on our toes.Where is the viking spirit.

4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Those I mentioned are Danes, and Swedish badminton is not so much to talk about these days, unfortunately. Well, OK, we have Marina Andrievskaya... Badminton is actually one of Sweden's biggest recreational sports, but there is just too little media attention to interest young talents to pick it up seriously. Instead, it's all about soccer, ice hockey, skiing and hand ball... even curling gets more media attention.

Long gone are the days of Thomas Kihlstrom and Sture Johnsson.

5. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Good for them. I think the only reason why their up there is because the Indonesian pairs didn't participate in the Swiss Open

6. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    So why didn't they participate? ;)

7. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Just for the record: I think this consistant dissing of anybody not Indonesian, Malaysian or Chinese is a bit silly. :p

And I think even you have to admit that if you've been in the top 5 for a number of years it's because you play good, and consistantly so.

8. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Yeah, I get what you mean. I'm an Indonesian supporter but I get really irritated when ppl act like the team/players they support are the only ones in the world that deserve to win and everyone else shld juz go to hell... no personal takes at anybody here, it's juz that I have seen a lot of basket cases in other forums.

Anyway, I s'ppose Byro has a pt... undoubtedly the European pairs are good but somehow they juz dun match up (enuff) to those in Asia. It's not juz Indonesia, the Korean pairs of Lee/Yoo and Ha/Kim didn't take part in the Swiss Open (or the All-England either). Lee Dong Soo is s'pposedly injured, I dunno what happened to Kim Dong Moon. As for the Indonesians, they didn't take part coz they were saving their energy for the WGP finals which have, unfortunately, been cancelled.
    Tony Gunawan and Candra Wijaya have both expressed "regret" at the cancellation of the event, according to news reports from the JKT Post.

I hope I have put my pt across in a diplomatic way.... I am not very gd at this sort of thing either and any offense that has been caused is deeply regretted. =)

9. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    "I'm an Indonesian supporter but I get really irritated when ppl act like the team/players they support are the only ones in the world that deserve to win and everyone else shld juz go to hell... "

If I've ever done this, I apologise.

10. knock-out

knock-out Guest

But I also think it is pretty silly that Mag always tries to make such an issue out of this. It seems like you are pretty quiet, Mag, when the Asians are all at the top of the rankings, but when one of your country-mates makes it up there, you act like its you and your flaunting it. Do you enjoy the conflicts you raise by this? I feel that I can kinda look at this from both sides and it just seems kinda juvenile, the way you specifically "point things out" only when you seemingly have the upper hand. Are you proud your heroes are ranked the highest? Or are you proud that they are the best? The latter point can be hotly debated, cause they don't seem to have beaten the others they are ranked higher than too often.

11. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Oh dear. I was merely expressing happiness. I have followed this doubles pair for a long time, and they've had a struggle, always second best, hardly ever winning. And the #1 ranking means a lot for a player when it comes to negotiating sponsor deals and the like. So I was happy for them, that's all. I am sorry if it came across as boastful raving. I have nothing to do with their success (or misfortune, for that matter) so obviously that was not my intent. If you chose to read my posting as "these guys are the best, f**k the rest" then that's your problem. I don't really care if they're the best or not. If you think being a fan is about supporting whoever is the best then I pity you.

As to me not supporting Asian player: that is really the strangest of accusations. Being Swedish (which invalidates your remark about me and my "country-mates" by the way) which is a country where badminton is as obscure a sport as, say, female weight lifting, there's no point in even thinking in terms of nationalities. Apart from P-E Hoyer, Larsen/Eriksen, Ricky/Rexy and Ha/Kim I really don't have any "emotional" ties to any badminton players, regardless of nationality. I simply haven't been able to watch enough international badminton, because it's not aired on TV here. If you think that disqualifies me to have personal favorites I can only say I disagree strongly.

12. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I really agree with both you and Byro. I too think that the Swiss Open line-up was a bit lame, and that is what made it easier for a lot of European players to gain ranking points. Still, I think taking part in as many tournaments as possible should be important in international badminton. Not just saving up for the most important ones like WGP finals and the Olympics. European players may not be up to Asian standards playing-wise, but this is one area where I think they are actually in the lead...

On another note, the split of the Ha/Kim pair really makes me sad. They were such fun to watch! Does anyone know if the split is final or just temporary?

13. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Knock-out, in what precisely do you believe? You aggressively attack anyone who has a stonger-than-lukewarm opinion about practically any topic. Do you recognize that if an objective outsider, using your intolerance of strong opinions as a guideline, was to judge all of the participants in discussions in which you criticize others, that you would be rated as the worst offender? If your goal is to write a persuasive argument, it would be better served by stating well-reasoned opinions, based on facts and logic, than by questionable accusations and angry name-calling. If you want to disagree with someone's opinion, by all means feel free to do so, but please try to dispute the issue in a courteous fashion.

There are many, many other posters from around the world who have commented enthusiastically on this forum for months about their favorite players, including players from the posters' own countries, yet you do not attack them. Why?

Are you advocating a strict ban on all national pride in sports and athletics? If so, will your ban include the Olympics? Will it include all people or just those from select countries on your own personal list?

It seems to me that you might benefit by a re-read of Orwell's Animal Farm.

14. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

I personally hope this site can be kept as a global forum

accessible to all .Europeans are already a minority in the

sport and it's getting worse, maybe it is better to help promote

sport worldwide. Maybe Asians living in North America have

an axe to grind but badminton circles will tell you that people

especially from Scandinavia are easy to get along.

Don't attack me, it is just my view.

15. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Don't think China saving players for tourneys, maybe in 80's.

All the same worldwide, little public support, sponsors the key,

no fans no sponsors.Volvo, Ericsson, Nokia, where are you,

see what Carlsberg has done.

16. knock-out

knock-out Guest

I didn't say anything disqualified you, and I didn't tell you that you can't have your own opinions. Justify yourself as you will, I don't take back my remarks that it is silly to watch your antics as you constantly argue who's best and who isn't. I merely said "silly", if that hurts you into rationalizing your position, maybe I touched a real sore spot. You sure read a lot more into my remark than I ever intended, but it goes to show the point I was making even better. Thanks.

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Sun Jun once explained that he is so injury prone was partly to do with the number of tournaments he played. His injuries is one of the main reason he retired so early. may be China is earning from this and not sending top players to every tournaments?

18. knock-out

knock-out Guest

Whatever Brett. I know whenever I write something, you or Mag will more than likely dispute it and that's fine with me. Everytime you write a post to critisize me, it only goes to show how right I was in the first place.

Who did I "attack"?, where did I "call names"? You and Mag are the finest examples I could ever find of incorrectly reading between the lines. I merely mentioned something was silly to me, that's my opinion, I'm entitled to it whether you like it or not. I didn't even hint about national pride or sportsmanship. I just honestly think it is silly, you know, it makes me laugh, the way that, in this case, Mag, so aggressively acknowledges who he supports and who he doesn't.

You seem to be quicker to judge than I am, however, and I think you are just as wrong in how you do it as you think I am. The way I read it, you condradict yourself nearly every time you post your opinion. I don't dislike you or your opinions, in fact, I welcome them, and even respect them and you; but, it seems I hardly ever agree with them. Is that wrong? Sometimes it seems to me that you could benefit from some of the great ( and I truly mean it, great) advice that you give out.

Even though we may appear so antagonistic on this forum, I have an incling that we would probably have much in common, and even be friends, were we to meet in person. Take that as critique or praise as you will.

19. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Temporal.... I think. Coz Mr Kim was saying that he planned to take part in the Athens Olympics with Ha Tae Kwon. And there isn't any reason to split them up, unlike in Indonesia, whereby Gunawan and Wijaya already had their respective other halves.

20. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Now that's truly good news :)

(Oops, maybe that was a bit strong? Sorry everybody, I guess I got carried away...)