what is "follow your shot"?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by logicalguy, Aug 18, 2011.

1. logicalguy

logicalguy Regular Member

Hi,
    Was just watching the lcw vs kevin cordon match on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOo9EEtwbZU and after one of lcw's net kill @ 7:28 the commentator says about lcw "see, he just follows his shots; that's what I'm saying all the time to my players: follow your shot, follow your shot - if it's a good shot, you always follow your shot"

Now, I think I know what he means in this situation, awesomely tight net shot and wait for the attempted return and tap it into a winner. But can anyone explain in more general terms what this strategy is? Thanks.

2. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Example drop shot/smash follow towards net, straight net cover straight reply, crossnet follow it covering straight reply. However lifts /clears cover attacking shots from opponent so get ready to get down to fast shots or move up to drops

3. devaaaa

devaaaa Regular Member

When you make a tight net shot and the oppenent has to take it low then the angle is narrowed down for him. He can only try to return with a tight net shot or lift it very high so it would go deep into your part of the court. Follow up to the net to kill the bird on a loose net shot (this is what happens in the video). You will still be able to back up fast enough to smash a short lift.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    basically it means anticipate the most probable return from your shot, and then hit it early. instead of wait for the opponent to hit and then react.

it requires both the execution of a shot, maybe a smash, watching your opponent's reaction, is he under pressured returning your smash? if he is, then what's the most probably shots he will make? probably a block to the net, then your "follow up" will be to go to the net to hit the shuttle early to create even more pressure at your opponent.

5. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I think kwun has hit the nail on the head.

I remember morten frost talking about "following your shot" exactly as you described, and what he explained afterwards was that at the slightest sign of weakness in your opponent, you must take a half chance by coming forwards to attack the net. I believe he commented on this in several matches (may be wrong) and it included people smashing and then coming to the net, playing attacking clears and then coming to the net, and others. He is talking about anticipation of a weak reply when you get a feeling your opponent is in trouble or may play to a certain area (net shot followed by net kill is another example, but I don't think morten described it in the same way, although he was very "big" on it).

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i think it is easier said than done. on his chair, on hindsight, he can always say should've done this or that. but at the court, following up shots requires risk taking. risk taking by getting early is more risky in singles than doubles. in doubles, in fact it is done regularly. if you rush to the net, there is a partner to cover up the hole that you leave behind. in singles, it will require great instant insight and 6th sense to be able to follow up on every shot.

that's why i called Lin Dan's performance at the 2008 Olympics god mode, despite facing LCW, he was able to anticipate and followup to all his shots early and often killing it off instantly. such incredible execution, reading of opponent, and then following up with a killer.

7. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    At a lower level if you don't follow the attacking shot you give your opponent an easy chance for winner. e.g. go for drop winner but stay back and your opponent scrapes it over and you fail to reach the reply. You have to cover the straight net reply before all else, not just for the chance to kill but the chance to control the rally. Following your shot requires you too push forward and work harder.

But if you play a lift/clear you have to look out for the downwards shot e.g. smash/drop

8. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Regarding Kwun's post Lin Dan often interrupts the flow of a rally by playing a shot of such power or precision that only one reply is possible and he is waiting for it, this goes beyond following your shot!

e.g. Lin Dan jump smashes with extreme power and angle onto LCW backhand line, the only possible shot is a straight block and LD is on the net waiting to kill.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Following your shot means if you hit a pretty good attacking shot, then you have to maintain your attacking advantage by anticipating and getting to the weak reply early. As the reply gets weaker, there'll be a chance for a kill to finish off the rally. It's like a vicious circle of attack that your opponent cannot escape from (especially in doubles where you have a partner to cover your half gamble). Eventually and inevitably the noose gets tighter on your opponent and you'll win the rally. Assuming his counter attack is not too strong...

10. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I remembered what match it was! It was TMN vs Kashyap. Morten was, if I recall correctly, complaining about kashyap not ever attacking the net, even when TMN was taking low shots from his deep forehand corner. Kashyap was actually caught out by the drop shots TMN was playing, even though TMN was plainly in all kinds of trouble. Low and in the deep rear corner? THAT is exactly the time you should be "following your shot" to the net.

11. logicalguy

logicalguy Regular Member

Thanks, guys, for all the candid explanations. Most of it is done by instinct developed by experience, I think, and a fair bit has to be trained. I guess watching and learning is a great way of mentally preparing oneself to do so.

This line made me laugh, though, ha ha!