Why is the recommended stringing tension higher for JP racquets?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Tammy, May 21, 2003.

1. Tammy

Tammy Regular Member

The recommended string tension is 2 lb difference between MP-90 JP and MP-99 CD/SP. I still wonder why. Is the JP version more durable? Many people say no. But then how come the difference?

Tammy

PS: My question is not whether JP racquets are more solid/durable. It's more like why Yonex recommends higher string tension on JP racquets. I'd really want to know the reason.

2. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    I had the chance to compare a MP-90 JP to a MP-99 SP this week. The shaft of the JP version is stiffer than the SP version.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Here's a theory that can explain:

Maybe there is a difference in the consumer laws in the different countries.
    I know US protects the consumer a lot. I don't know about Canada but think it is similar. If, I was the company, I would think there is a lot of potential hassle with people returning their broken racquets due to poor stringing technique at higher tensions and misuse/abuse of raquets in this market. Better just avoid the problem anyway and recommend a conservative stringing tension.

For SP market, the inspection of broken racquets is said to go back to Japan. ie, broken racquet has to go back to Japan. Obviously, this entails shipping costs, time, etc. So, I as the company, would say, save on the hassle and recommend conservative tension again.

In Japan, there is a lot of 'trust' in their system. Presumably, if I take a racquet to be strung, it is going to go to somebody who has properly learnt the skill formally. Also, customer service in Japan for a Japanese company is paramount. The customers are also very honest so if they say, 'the racquet broke after hitting the shuttle', the shop is going to trust them and believe them. Additionally, racquets do not have to be sent overseas to be inspected, they stay in Japan. These factors give more flexibility for the recommended tension to be marked higher.

So still same racquet, different specification according to market;)

Not saying this is all correct, but just possible one plausible theory.

I tried Ti10JP vs SP bought around the same time..not much difference that I could discern. In fact, no difference.....

4. modious

modious Regular Member

Many ppl say no? I think there're lots who think otherwise!

Anyway as swijaya0101 mentioned in another thread, Yonex Japan replied to him saying "Quality of our racquets are the same, but every country has a different market of player therefore each country need their own specifications.

Yonex is saying that diff countries need diff specs to cater the market. Eg: Bigger handles for European market, etc. To a certain extent, I believe this is true.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Modius,

that issue is addressed in my theory. The Japanese consumer and laws produce a different market to those in the rest of the world. So that's why they they can write a different recommendation.

Many people extrapolate the idea that if the recommended tension is higher, then automatically, there MUST be a physical difference of the frames between the two versions. But that might be a flawed concept....:D

I agree with your point about grip size.