Help regarding the rules

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by todd89, Aug 20, 2011.

1. todd89

todd89 New Member

Cover Supervisor
    Two questions need clarifying for me please:
    1. During the service, is it:
    classed as a fault if the shuttle goes out of the boundary lines - as in out of the entire court?

classed as a fault if the shuttle gets caught in the net on the servers side? (the official rules only mentions it is a fault if the shuttle passes over the net to the 'opponent's side' and gets caught)

classed as a fault if the server serves the shuttle and it hits the net on their side and falls on their side?

classed as a fault if the shuttle passes over the net to the opponents side but lands on the floor just in front of the the net? e.g before the short service line

(Maybe these are implied and I am not 'reading between the lines' as some would say, but surely rules should attempt to allay any queries?)

2. What is exactly meant by rule 13.3.3 - "It shall be a fault if, in play, the shuttle fails to pass over the net?" It has already ruled out the thinking of it meaning going under or through the net in the previous rule 13.3.2. Therefore, what could possibly be enacted for the rule 13.3.3 to be met? Does this mean that if Player X hits the shuttle over the net to Player Y and Player Y makes contact with the shuttle but the shot was too difficult to return back over and the shuttle just lands on the floor, or hits the net then lands on floor, is classed as 'failing to pass over the net?

I Hope some individual rule master can clarify these queries for me lol :confused: :)

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    See replies inline.

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

If by 'goes out', you mean lands out, then yes. The shuttle can fly two courts over whilst in the air, but if it lands in, it's in!

OP, I don't think you need to read between any lines for answers to these, you just need to read the (or more) rules.

4. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

#1A, B, C & D, yes it is a fault.

13. Faults

It shall be a 'fault':

13.1 if a service is not correct (Law 9.1)

In a correct service,

9.1.8 the flight of the shuttle shall be upwards from the server's racket to pass over the net so that, if not intercepted, it shall land in the receiver's service court (i.e. on or within the boundary lines)

Therefore, it is a fault since the service is not correct due to the fact that it does not land on or within the boundary lines.

#2) It means that you hit the shuttle into the ground, or the shuttle goes off your racket and travels away from the net, or any other meaning so that the shuttle doesn't pass over the net, it would be considered a fault.

5. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Here is a situation where it applies. A player mistakenly hits a shuttle that was going out the side of the court. They play a drive which goes around the side of the post (not over the net) and lands inside the opponent's court. According to rule 13.3.3 such a shot is a fault.