Taking up badminton again. Need racket advice.

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Nauroa, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    After being away from badminton for 10 year I’ve decided to start playing again. Both of my old rackets have been given away so I need a new racket for both single and double.

I think I have a rather defensive style since I never developed a really good smash. My gameplan was always to play long rallies until my opponent god tired (don’t know if this works anymore with the “new” point system)…

Budget: USD 125 per racket.

Flex: Medium? (I don’t have a very explosive swing, so I think I need a bit of flex. Please correct me if I’m wrong)

Balance: Head heavy for single and balanced for double? (I need some help generating power in singles. In double I will preferably play at the front)

I’ve always played with Yonex rackets so I’m looking to try something different if possible.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Try an arcsaber 7
    It has medium flexibility, Even blanced

3. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Singles - Victor SuperWaves 37
    Doubles - Victor BraveSword 09/BraveSword 12/Meteor X70 all suitable.:)

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

And none of the above will be available for $125 in Denmark :p;). Should be looking at other brands or midrange or sales ...

5. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    You are right about that. I'll definitely be looking at buying my rackets online since the price at the danish retailers are insane. :(

6. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    Victor BraveSword 09 look very interesting. :)

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Doubles: SOTX Woven9. Very underestimated product. You should get this for around $100, which will give you leeway for the singles racquet. Alternately, try looking for a AT900T in good condition. A new AT900T may set you back a bit, but I'm sure you can find a used racquet in 9/10 condition for a decent price.

Singles: VT80 (if you can manage the beast) or Arc10 (really great all-round racquet which you could also use for doubles!)
    Hope this helps.

8. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    I've been offered a VT70 at a very favorable price. How does that compare to the SW37 og Arc10 for playing single?

9. maxp74

maxp74 Regular Member

Architect
    Don't know about SW37 but I have tried Voltric 70 and I own Arc 10. I tested a 4U VT70 and it felt really nimble for a head heavy racket. An all round choice I belive. I think the 3U version is more of a singles racket. Arc 10 in 3U is the default all rounder. Suits both singles and doubles. You cant really go wrong with it. Maby it's a bit stiff if you had a 10 year lay off. Someone mentioned Arc 7 and to me that sounds like the best choice. It's really easy to use.

As for the choice between VT70 and Arc 10 it's a draw. If it's a 3U VT70 your defence might suffer a bit compared to the Arc 10. Power wise I think most people will find that VT70 gives more effortless power, regardless of version 3u or 4U.

I like Arc 10 for it's accuracy and all round abilities. My game depends on precision rather than power. I also come from the era when you could win by moving your opponent untill he pukes. I't still works most of the time on club level. You don't have to convert to a power style.

10. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    Good to know that my old tactic can still work maxp74. :)
    The Arc 7 looks pretty interesting but I'm afraid it's a little over my budget.
    On the other hand buying a too stiff racket to begin with won't help me much either.
    Decisions, decision... :confused:

11. maxp74

maxp74 Regular Member

Architect
    I had an 8 year lay off myself and had a bit of trouble with my old cab 20/21 when I came back, so I got myself a Nanospeed 6000. That pretty much got me started again, but then I out grew it very fast. My tecnique came back and the flexible racket spoiled my accuracy. (I have a Nano 6000 for sale now)

If you had good tecnique 10 years ago it will probably come back to you and you could get a stiff racket right away. Don't waste your money. String a stiff racket a bit looser will do the trick almost as well.

12. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    Might use the string trick then. Brand new VT70 at USD100 is a little too good to pass up I'm afraid. :/

13. maxp74

maxp74 Regular Member

Architect
    That's a no brainer. 100 bucks for a VT70 is a very good price if it is genuine. Is it a private sale or can you direct me to where you buy it?

14. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Yes make sure it is genuine ;). If it has a few numbers on the cone ending with the letters DK you should be alright ...

15. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    I'll difinitely check for that demolidor, but I'm not really concerned since it's a major danish sports retailer and fake rackets is not really an issue in Denmark.

The scoop here is that they are running a 50% off all badminton rackets sale. I guess it is to get rid of their old stock of rackets. Yesterday I noticed that they had just got a bunch of "new" rackets in (VT70, NS9900, Arc 8dx) while they are still running their sale.
    I'll go there after work to verify that the 50% off is for the new rackets as well. If they are I'll go for a VT70.

16. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Yes from shops there should be no problem ofcourse. But if "some guy" offers you a good deal you never know. We've seen it plenty of times on this board even from their own coaches :D ...

17. Nauroa

Nauroa Regular Member

IT Geek
    Damn. They had mistakenly placed the new rackets in the shop while the sale was still on, so they didn't want to sell it to me at the price I'd hoped. :crying:
    Well back to looking for rackets that'll sooth me. :)

18. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

you should try the Arcsaber 7 it is even balanced and has a medium flex shaft

19. Pathfinder

Pathfinder Regular Member

Engineer
    How about Forza Rackets? The Danish Brand can give a Nostalgic Confidence Feel with a National Pride upon your Great Revive Renewal.
    Surely, they have Rackets that matches technically precise with those of Yonex, Victor, RSL, etc..

20. BadHustle

BadHustle Regular Member

kimpetai
    It is better to be "Homely" in the age of Past Comeback! Make you stay away off the great Delusion your Body and Mind cannot match!;)