Tensioning Problem

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Stephen_, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Stephen_

Stephen_ New Member

Hi,
    I'm new to stringing and I have a Pro's Pro Challenger II drop weight machine. I have strung 2 or 3 rackets before with cheap string with no problems. Recently I bought a reel of bg65 ti string and pre strung one of my rackets. I clamped the string with a fixed clamp and started to tension, I got the drop weight to the correct tension 24lbs and as I was about it clamp the string the drop weight suddenly dropped :confused: So I released the string and try to tension again but the same thing. As I lower the drop weight it seems to be pulling to the right tension and staying in place and then just drops :confused: Any ideas what is causing this or how to fix it ?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    is the gripper not gripping the string tightly? if the gripper slips then the weight will drop.

is it dropping suddenly or gradually?

3. Stephen_

Stephen_ New Member

It drops suddenly

And I checked the gripper right after and it was still holding the string tightly

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Slippery suckers isn't it. Get a alcohol swap and clean up the clamping plate. The problem is BG65ti has a coating that is slippery.

5. Stephen_

Stephen_ New Member

Thanks Il try that :)

6. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Did you buy the strings from Ebay?

I found that fake yonex strings are a lot more slippery than genuine yonex strings. My fixed clamps don't grip fake strings very well and slip even at low tension.

7. Stephen_

Stephen_ New Member

They are genuine yonex strings.I have fixed the problem now .. the string was slipping a bit through the gripper. I was just stuck a bit a paper in there and its fine now thanks

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I use an old tooth brush with alcohol to clean the gripper every 10 to 15 jobs. The ti or ultra thin (Zymax 62, for examples) are hard to deal with, especially at high tension.