User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    Unfortunately Singapore is a small country with a small quota for higher ranked umpires who can umpire international matches. I think these are all set out in the BWF rules/constitution.

How many Singapore umpires can you find who are qualified or allowed to umpire even the SS, not to mention the Olympics. So even the most talented Singapore umpire will not find easy to reach the top in international badminton.

However, I agree that by attending the Umpire's Course, it will give you a thorough knowledge of the badminton laws and thus make you a more knowledgeable player.
    Hi Loh,

no harm attending it as you might find some fault that people have been doing during recreational games :-) Or hopefully, there will be no more "stupid umpire!" comment from us

As for the quota comment, i don't think that is the case. BWF charter does not set the quota for any NOCs. Look at HongKong, they have slightly more population and area than Singapore, but they have 6 BWF level umpires. Taiwan has 3. Amazing right?

I replied to Koyori's comment on the classification earlier, maybe you could take a look.
    I would say Singapore has few talented ones. Our umpires did participate in the olympics in the past, but we can't possible watch all the matches from TV to notice them :-)

The phenomenon that you presented is not wrong at all, that is to the number of BWF level in Singapore. But i can tell you frankly, things are not as simple as 1+1=2. When you join the rank, you will know by yourself :-) Ready for the challenge? Good Luck!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BaoQingWang View Post
    Hi Koyori,

Singapore is a small country, unlike big countries where they have entry level for umpire, provincial level and lastly national level. So, i think this idea is analogy to classification of umpires in singapore. Where you will be assessed after years of umpiring, if you pass the assessment, you will be upgraded from class 3 to class 2 and another round from class 2 to class 1. After that, there will be BAC (Badminton Asia Confederation) levels, BAC acredited and BAC certified, which you will be assessed during BAC santioned tournament. After that there will be BWF levels, again BWF acredited and BWF certified during BWF sanctioned tournaments.
    Ideally, this is the path for umpiring in Singapore :-)
    Ok, thx for the info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many must have dropped out. Can someone make a career out of this?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by extremenanopowe View Post
    Umpiring is never a career, more to passion. People never work full time as umpire. There are exceptional case, i heard but never seen, in other countries. But that is really an exceptional case :-)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umpiring is never a career, more to passion. People never work full time as umpire. There are exceptional case, i heard but never seen, in other countries. But that is really an exceptional case :-)
    Indeed, there is high turnover.

Maybe it takes too long for Class 3 umpires to be promoted and actually get to umpire more challenging matches. Are they given sufficient opportunities to umpire matches or only the same selected few get to umpire at most matches?

I'm not sure whether there is a clear route for umpires to gain promotion. Were they told beforehand how they will be promoted? Are they being prepared for promotion tests?

I understand umpires get a small token allowance to judge at matches. But if they continue to be just line judges and not umpires, there is less motivation and challenge for the newly qualified to continue.

I'm not sure whether BWF is up-to-date with what umpire benefits the other sports organisations are giving out. For example, I was told that badminton umpires have to pay for their own air fares when umpiring overseas.

I wonder whether football umpiring or football referees, say in the West like in the EPL, are professionals making a career out of the game?
    Last edited by Loh; 09-17-2011 at 11:38 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Indeed, there is high turnover.

Maybe it takes too long for Class 3 umpires to be promoted and actually get to umpire more challenging matches. Are they given sufficient opportunities to umpire matches or only the same selected few get to umpire at most matches?

I'm not sure whether there is a clear route for umpires to gain promotion. Were they told beforehand how they will be promoted? Are they being prepared for promotion tests?

I understand umpires get a small token allowance to judge at matches. But if they continue to be just line judges and not umpires, there is less motivation and challenge for the newly qualified to continue.

I'm not sure whether BWF is up-to-date with what umpire benefits the other sports organisations are giving out. For example, I was told that badminton umpires have to pay for their own air fares when umpiring overseas.

I wonder whether football umpiring or football referees, say in the West like in the EPL, are professionals making a career out of the game?

Remember that 'botak' soccer referree which appeared in final of few world cup? He wasn't a full time referee, i heard he is a financial planner *maybe i misheard :-)
    But chances for soccer referee to go full time is quite low, my opinion.

BWF doesn't govern the benefit of the umpire, aka allowance.
    It is all depends on the budget from the tournament, in Singapore.
    For international matches like Singapore Super Series, etc, there is a standard consensus.
    For Olympic, i heard everything is fully paid for :-)

I had the same questions you proposed, some of them are answered while i am still searching for others. A number of things only be understood/known when you are in the circle.
    I see some of the juniors being given chance to officiate in semi and final for local matches.
    International matches wise, normally is for higher class.

Like i always say, umpiring is a passion.
    If one is good, most of the colleagues will agree and people could see clearly cos you are sitting up there in a match.
    If one is not good, it is too very obvious :-)

You seem to be very much involved in badminton scene in Singapore, why not take up the challenge? :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You get the chance to scold lindan if he say stomach ache again.. lol.
    btw, extremenanopowe, to be the serious side. you can't scold LD for having stomach ache. umpire power starts the moment games starts, when you say "Love all, play!" and ends when you announce the winner and leave the court :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's just joking fren. At least being an umpire, you can say 'shadup and play lah' to the player. kekeke..

Anyway, I think perhaps a country can allocate a 2-3 full time umpires. It is up to the association to 'plan' for more tournaments.

Money is there. It is the people and the 'attitude' of the association.

Hopefully things can change for the better. Some old guards are just 'too lazy'.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

... why not take up the challenge? :-)
    Too old already lah. Eyesight bad. Prone to making wrong calls and getting booed or shouted at "referee kayu"!!! Never can get promoted. No chance to be a celebrity. No chance to travel overseas to umpire. Not nice just to watch the lines to figure out whether a shot is in or out. Will soon tire out and lose interest and passion. Without passion advancement is retarded.

Passion is in watching the players 'dancing' in the court.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too old already lah. Eyesight bad. Prone to making wrong calls and getting booed or shouted at "referee kayu"!!! Never can get promoted. No chance to be a celebrity. No chance to travel overseas to umpire. Not nice just to watch the lines to figure out whether a shot is in or out. Will soon tire out and lose interest and passion. Without passion advancement is retarded.

Passion is in watching the players 'dancing' in the court.
    Yes, watching is also another form of passion :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

three more days :-)

Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

HK has many people interested in umpiring. In fact, I am surprised at this myself. Many of them enjoy the game but are not good players themselves and it's a way for them to get involved.

I once asked a more junior umpire why they do it. Obviously they are volunteers and give a lot of time helping players have a tournament. The reason is pure enjoyment of the game.

For the top level umpires, they are volunteers at the international tournaments. They take time out of their jobs to go umpiring (as do soccer referees). It's a passion for the game. As a player, I am always grateful for the job they do

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions.

1) SBA do get paid if any organisation need their service correct?

2) Do the umpires get paid also?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions.

1) SBA do get paid if any organisation need their service correct?

2) Do the umpires get paid also?
    The settlement for the service varies with different tournaments.
    Not appropriate for me to discuss here on behalf of SBA, I am not their staff.
    We don't call it "get paid" instead it is called 'allowance' :-)

Since it is more for passion, i prefer not to elaborate 'the money' here.
    To count every cents and dollar, it is never enough for everyone.
    Just like we always complaint to our boss that our pay is not enough :-)
    For me the whole experience is priceless.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The settlement for the service varies with different tournaments.
    Not appropriate for me to discuss here on behalf of SBA, I am not their staff.
    We don't call it "get paid" instead it is called 'allowance' :-)

Since it is more for passion, i prefer not to elaborate 'the money' here.
    To count every cents and dollar, it is never enough for everyone.

Just like we always complaint to our boss that our pay is not enough :-)
    For me the whole experience is priceless.
    I like your attitude and passion.
    Hope you will continue to enjoy the experience for a long time to come.
    Hope to see you one day achieving international status as umpire.
    Now I think we only have a lady by the name of Grace who is holding up the Singapore flag.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like your attitude and passion.
    Hope you will continue to enjoy the experience for a long time to come.
    Hope to see you one day achieving international status as umpire.
    Now I think we only have a lady by the name of Grace who is holding up the Singapore flag.
    Thanks. Let's hope so. :-)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Always have backups. Good luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast