0 Thread(s)

is the course still open?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Umpire Course 2012 by Singapore Badminton Association

Hi,
    For your interest. Do click on the picture for the registration form. If you have any queries, do post it here or PM me. Thanks
    Name:  umpire_course_2012.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  80.4 KB

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BaoQingWang View Post
    Hi Koyori,

Singapore is a small country, unlike big countries where they have entry level for umpire, provincial level and lastly national level. So, i think this idea is analogy to classification of umpires in singapore.

Where you will be assessed after years of umpiring, if you pass the assessment, you will be upgraded from class 3 to class 2 and another round from class 2 to class 1. After that, there will be BAC (Badminton Asia Confederation) levels, BAC acredited and BAC certified, which you will be assessed during BAC santioned tournament. After that there will be BWF levels, again BWF acredited and BWF certified during BWF sanctioned tournaments.

Ideally, this is the path for umpiring in Singapore :-)
    I presume you are now a qualified umpire with at least a Class 3 and you must have umpired or been a linejudge of many matches by now.

Where do you see yourself in 5, 10 or 15 years' time as an umpire?

Is there a clear path for interested umpires to continue to upgrade themselves? Has the SBA put in place a formalized or more established plan to test and promote umpires so that they know what to expect on a more transparent basis?

For example, if I am a Class 3 umpire now, when can I be tested to become a Class 2 umpire - in 2 years or after having umpired a certain number of matches at official tournaments? If I passed the test, when will be my next stop to be considered a Class 1?

If there is no definite plan of this sort, why not put it across to the relevant SBA subcommittee to be more transparent in the interest of the qualified umpires.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    I presume you are now a qualified umpire with at least a Class 3 and you must have umpired or been a linejudge of many matches by now.

Where do you see yourself in 5, 10 or 15 years' time as an umpire?

Is there a clear path for interested umpires to continue to upgrade themselves? Has the SBA put in place a formalized or more established plan to test and promote umpires so that they know what to expect on a more transparent basis?

For example, if I am a Class 3 umpire now, when can I be tested to become a Class 2 umpire - in 2 years or after having umpired a certain number of matches at official tournaments? If I passed the test, when will be my next stop to be considered a Class 1?

If there is no definite plan of this sort, why not put it across to the relevant SBA subcommittee to be more transparent in the interest of the qualified umpires.
    Hi Loh,

You seem like a dissatified umpire to me rather than common folk eager to know more about umpiring. Maybe you should channel your queries to the relevant organisation or committee that you mentioned or should know.

This thread is meant for the folks sharing the passion for badminton instead of treating umpiring as some sort of corporate ladder expecting something. Trust me, umpiring will be much enjoyable without all sort of this expectation.

Let's make thing simpler, we are too stressful with office politics already, we can relax and enjoy something about our passion.

Thank you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Koyori,

Singapore is a small country, unlike big countries where they have entry level for umpire, provincial level and lastly national level. So, i think this idea is analogy to classification of umpires in singapore. Where you will be assessed after years of umpiring, if you pass the assessment, you will be upgraded from class 3 to class 2 and another round from class 2 to class 1. After that, there will be BAC (Badminton Asia Confederation) levels, BAC acredited and BAC certified, which you will be assessed during BAC santioned tournament. After that there will be BWF levels, again BWF acredited and BWF certified during BWF sanctioned tournaments.
    Ideally, this is the path for umpiring in Singapore :-)
    Hi Loh,

You seem like a dissatified umpire to me rather than common folk eager to know more about umpiring. Maybe you should channel your queries to the relevant organisation or committee that you mentioned or should know.

This thread is meant for the folks sharing the passion for badminton instead of treating umpiring as some sort of corporate ladder expecting something. Trust me, umpiring will be much enjoyable without all sort of this expectation.

Let's make thing simpler, we are too stressful with office politics already, we can relax and enjoy something about our passion.

Thank you.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not here to make life stressful. As you put it, umpiring shoud be considered a hobby, an interest, a passion in the main.

There may be those who are interested and want to know more before they embark on the umpire's course.

So providing more information and making it more transparent may well help them in making a more informed decision rather than regreting it at the end of the day.

One reason I asked is that there are so few Singaporean umpires who, in my view, are recognised internationally. Why is this so? Is it that our current system of producing umpires that somehow does not facilitate the process?

Don't our umpires allow their passion to translate into something more beautiful that the badminton world can witness?

But please don't stress yourself to provide an answer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe in any badminton federation there is no minimum flight time before you can upgrade your umpire license.It is all about your ability to understand and implement the rules in the game.From my country umpire i heard that Singapore got easier path to be promoted to regional dan international level. If you follow some youth, chalenger or international series around Asean you will see young Singapore umpire there. I wish i am Singaporean

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Loh View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I'm not here to make life stressful. As you put it, umpiring shoud be considered a hobby, an interest, a passion in the main.

There may be those who are interested and want to know more before they embark on the umpire's course.

So providing more information and making it more transparent may well help them in making a more informed decision rather than regreting it at the end of the day.

One reason I asked is that there are so few Singaporean umpires who, in my view, are recognised internationally. Why is this so? Is it that our current system of producing umpires that somehow does not facilitate the process?

Don't our umpires allow their passion to translate into something more beautiful that the badminton world can witness?

But please don't stress yourself to provide an answer.
    I am unsure if you really need those factors in making a decision to attend a course.

The point of the thread is just to advertise the course.

It's not a career. Once the pool is big enough, a few will move on. I don't think every person that attends the course wants to become an international referee.

It's more appropriate to move a full discussion of the Umpiring qualification to another thread.
    Last edited by Cheung; 10-09-2012 at 03:47 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly Cheung, agree with you

As I mentioned, this thread is to create awareness and ignite people passion.
    Career path or otherwise is personal option.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    I am unsure if you really need those factors in making a decision to attend a course.

The point of the thread is just to advertise the course. It's not a career. Once the pool is big enough, a few will move on. I don't think every person that attends the course wants to become an international referee.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post

The point of the thread is just to advertise the course.

It's not a career. Once the pool is big enough, a few will move on. I don't think every person that attends the course wants to become an international referee.

It's more appropriate to move a full discussion of the Umpiring qualification to another thread.
    Point taken.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahaha.....Everyone have their point right. My experience over transperency was an eye opener. Lesson learn from than thought me never to take at face value again any organisation is not in full control of the situation.

A course I attended many years ago had "conditions" inserted midway - non negotiable - if you disagree, the exit door is over there! I completed the course - or loose the $ I've paid upfront - had I walk out. I never consider going for the next level again after that experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step... Aiyo just go for it man... It's only $42.80 registration to get to know badminton in different angles. Why some people ask so many questions whether got BWF, BAC or SBA la? Like it's a $4,280 course fee like that hahaha. Go go Susanto!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took up SBA Class 3 Umpires's Course last winter (2011). That time I really have had no idea what is badminton umpire and didn't know such thing exists. I enrolled myself because I got so interested in this new sport. I wanted to get to know the rules so I might play better and thought it would be fun to "attend a short course". Today, I've never regretted taking up the course. We do get some allowances as volunteers and it was fun. Umpiring is a set of skills and knowledge. I hope that some old time umpires or people who are not really interested kindly do not contaminate the healthy minds of others. Singapore is a clean and green country. Let's maintain it this way!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is the link that talks about umpiring in SG or bwf?

Transparency and improvement of processes is key to developments.

I don't feel it and sad to see this happening.

Some former umpires may want to comment on the limitations? No harm trying to help SBA correct? Am sure they are willing to improve.

For the passion of umpiring of course.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3