Most all-around racket (that's also pretty cheap)?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by KinkySmasher, Aug 25, 2011.

1. KinkySmasher

KinkySmasher Regular Member

I am currently looking for an all-around racket that isn't top of the line. I play both single and double with friends and co-workers three times a week. I'm not a beginner but not really an expert either. About your usual serious badminton enthusiast level.

What racket is considered the most balanced or all around in terms of playing?

2. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
  3. CarbonexFan

CarbonexFan Regular Member

According to Yonex chart, Carbonex 20.

4. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Carbonex 20 and 21.

I personally prefer the 21 but 20 is probably the best all rounder. If you can find a good condition second hand original one for a good price, snap it up. Or tell me and I'll probably buy it! :)

5. KinkySmasher

Thanks, I have already looked at that but I wanted to gather other people's opinion as well. I don't really mind the brand.

By the way, is Carbonex 20 and Carbonex 20 SP the same? Why the SP behind it?

6. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Since you are in US, please keep in mind on the availability of the racquets.
    Given what is available in US and my experience, I will suggest ARC7 or ARC008 for you. May be ARC5 and DX is you are little weaker on the wrist.

7. KinkySmasher

Availability of rackets isn't really a problem since I can just buy online.

8. KinkySmasher

Actually I was scouring my wife's family old badminton rackets and found a Carbonex 20 SP. :p

This thing must be over 15 years old though. It has scratch marks everywhere. Looks like it's seen many battles in its days.

9. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    It depends when it was made. I have a few Cab20's and I can tell you that the re-released Cab20's (which I've only seen in SP) feel quite different to the original.

The most obvious way to tell an original from a re-release (apart from it saying SP) is in the shape of the head. Original Cab20’s are slightly more circular whereas the re-released versions are more egg shaped with the very top of the racquet pointier. The re-release is not a bad racquet, but it does feel different, slightly smaller and lower sweetspot and less feel. Power-wise it doesn’t feel too dissimilar.

10. eeyore12345

eeyore12345 Regular Member

I would recommend you to try the Flypower Warrior 7 or 8. You'll like it.

11. ns9900

ns9900 Regular Member

I have the new Cab20, 3u version. It is a very easy and very fast racket. slightly flexi and very fun to play with. :) but in terms of power, it is nowhere close to the ISOs (eg, Ti-10, ns9900, etc). bought it because it is a classic. :D would like to know how it fares against the old 2u versions. :)

12. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    Yeah there are people who like collecting these old Carbonex 20-21 racquets.
    Definitely very old and hard to find. They're old and flexible, but definitely easy to break!

You can buy lots of clone racquets brands (like Apacs) for around the US$50 mark.
    Look for the APACS nano 9000 for around the 30-40 bucks mark. Clone of the Yonex nanospeed racquets.

I play just as well with my US$30 Apacs racquet compared to my US$100-180 racquets.
    No real point to spend lots of cash for Yonex or LiNing racquets if you're just playing socially and unless you have plenty of it to throw around.

13. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I have the several original Cab 20 and Cab 21 and the re-release versions. It's hard to describe the difference but I would say one obvious point is the position and size of the sweet spot as I described above. Also the re-release does seem to have a very very slightly stiffer shaft.

In terms of feel you can't beat the Cab20 and 21. I personally prefer the Cab21 and it's suits my style of play. I don't dislike the re-release versions but they are not the same and just don't look right with the new yonex logo in my opinion. I still have the old yonex logo string stencil just to keep that authentic look! :)

As you say, it is a very easy and forgiving racket to use and is a collector's item now. I don't play with my Carbonex rackets anymore. I just collect them now.

14. TheSmasherKing

TheSmasherKing Regular Member

Goverment officer
    i agree with u.. both rackets are awesome :)

15. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Hi Kinkysmasher,

You are really nuts if you are listening to the advice of buying an YY will give you most bang for the buck in the mid-range imop..

Check out things like Panda Power rackets ( http://www.dcbadminton.net/ ) Apacs, victor, Oliver etc. etc. If you want best all round for best price.. stay away from expensive brands like YY and LN imop, if you are looking for price/performance.

#15 twobeer, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011