Much appreciated, thanks!

Justin
    +1 for a translation

Rich

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The smash in doubles has the most danger and requires the most concentration, you should not always count on the smash to earn points but it can allow you to create net kill opportunities for your partner. *smash*
    Smashing actually should not always require your full strength. First and foremost, you must correct your own movements and angles, I will break down the smash movements for everyone.
    To begin with, you should form a straight line from your left hand to right hand. [Right to left for Right handed players, plus he is hinting at lining up your racket elbow to the non racket hand.]
    Second is loading - the movement of the racket to behind you head - your elbow should be at the highest point possible. The racket should be loaded to behind your body (next to your back) with the elbow in a very flexed postion.
    Third - hitting the shuttle - you should hit the shuttle at the higest point possible.
    Fourth (and lastly) - Follow through and recovery of racket (for the next shot).
    These are my break down movements.
    There are two types of smash - the power and the slice smashes. Power smashes use strength and speed, slice smashes are somewhat more deceptive and harder to predict. If you work hard, although it's very hard to overtake Fu Haifeng, you can get near to him [refering to speed and power]

* The translation is not perfect and is naturalised word for word so it easier to make sense of =)

True that, but I'm still in a phase of being obsessed with learning how he does it, and it really has made a difference to my smash - that and re learning how to hold a darned racket...
    Oh and there are more Fedex commercials that also talk about technique but indeed, they are meant to promote Fedex and Badminton and less about the actual techniques .

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Awesome! Thanx for the translation. You should also post that translation to that YouTube video.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This video and some other help me just recently to improving my smash. For years my smash is quite weak and doesnt feel right. I once injured my shoulder by smashing with full strength and going all out, this injury is last for several month and even after a years it still hurt again. Then i started to improving my smash technique and my shoulder is not hurt anymore. My smash is weaker than before but thats allright.

Now I know that my smash is weak because i dont use body rotation just my arm. This body rotation should transfer to your arm, this is a bit hard and i have to practice for the transfer to work. The last part is the pronation. Although many people say it, i dont really understand untill just recently.

Now i practice it, and still have to adapt because difference in the timing. Last time i play, i can make a few good smash although not full strength.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thankyou very much for posting that video and the translation!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally, i can make a smash with ease. last night i play like a hard hitter, smashing almost all the time. I know my smash is not that powerfull but its enough to score point and to keep pressure on the opponent. I can smash all the time because now i dont use too many strength for my smash, only with body rotation to switch body weight from back to front and transfer the energy to forearm. It is much like a kick in football /soccer.

I guess that phrase "hip hit horray" really is true.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"Hip hit horray" : I like that. That extra little bit of momentum transferred from body rotation thru the core muscles is very important for a powerful smash. Much like throwing a rock or baseball.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel that studying this kinda stuff is really rewarding after a few weeks of trying to get it right. During the last training session my club mates were amazed at how much my smash has improved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Many people here said that at the moment you hit the birdie, you tighten your grip. This is also mentioned by xiong guo bao in other thread. This is different from what i do, my grip is about the same tightness from beginning to the end, some people also use this method.

I interested to try to tighten my grip, in theory and from what i felt when doing a few stroke without birdie it should add explosiveness because the swing speed is increase in that few moment.

I tried it in a game and it make my play worse, for several reason:
    - it make my arm tired faster.
    - i can not switch back to basic grip fast enough, so if the smash return is fast i will be caught off guard.
    - a lot of time energy transfer from forearm to the racket is lost because i can not syncronized it yet, so my smash is even worse.

I hope someone can give some advice.

I am now trying to take one step at a time by only tighten grip a little and later tighten more if i already capable of using it. If i still can not use it than i just going back to the way i ussually did it.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Going from a relaxed grip to a tight grip on strike contact is a continuum, not an off/on switch. Try it with some clears first in order to get used to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok now i have some question that a bit out of topic but still on the smash topic. How to generate power for smashing using only forearm?? I ask this because i have a few friends who can smash only with his forearm but their smash is quite powerfull. Offcourse this smash is not execute from the back /tram line but it is close to it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to hang in air?This isn't a mere hop or jump, to give one an illusion tht u r suspended in the air is the kick, yes the leg extension.How to jump?Use both arms, lift yr arms as if u want to pull or propell upwards. the combined weight of both arms will lift the whole body upwards, much higher than jumping with passive arms. How to create a steeper angle?Timing is crucial as well as shuttlecock position. In short the shuttle has to be in front of yr body in line with yr front shoulder. Timing is paramount, you may jump but if the timing is out then you r wasting yr energy. Smashing with both feet in the ground is easy but in a jump smash u need to change yr reception as the jumping will immediately shorten the distance between yr body and th shuttles. Lastly, u need to have a good upper core muscle, ie the abdominal and the serratus anterior muscles, the anterior oblique muscles to basically bend yr upper body. Anyone is capable of smashing with power, one needs to pay attention at the racket face, any slicing will cause u to lose power, so correct grip is important n thts why forearm probation is vital too, both to ensure good contact n energy transfer. If yr forearm is weak, u can borrow the power fr the power, make sure u rotate yr body on smashing.Hope this helps
    Last edited by S.fusion; 10-22-2011 at 06:56 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by indrato View Post
    Ok now i have some question that a bit out of topic but still on the smash topic. How to generate power for smashing using only forearm?? I ask this because i have a few friends who can smash only with his forearm but their smash is quite powerfull. Offcourse this smash is not execute from the back /tram line but it is close to it.
    Timing. Ie proper power execution ie max. Power at the moment of hitting not before or after. Apart from this, grip n racket face.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It sounds greate. Thanks for share

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks S.fusion.

My friends also mention about the kick in jumping smash. But i still unable to do it. maybe someday..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pay close attention to how his elbow and forearm rotation coincide at the top of the swing arc and how he pre loads his swing behind his head to get tons of rotation speed.

Most players who complain about not having a big smash don't do this or are out of sync.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ViningWolff View Post
    Pay close attention to how his elbow and forearm rotation coincide at the top of the swing arc and how he pre loads his swing behind his head to get tons of rotation speed. Most players who complain about not having a big smash don't do this or are out of sync.
    Yep, this "leading" with the elbow is very critical for forearm pronation in forehand clears and especially smashes. Same importance for supination in backhand clears.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast