World Championships Re-Scheduled

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Matt Ross, May 23, 2003.

1. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi all,

I'm not sure whether this should be here or in the competition forum, but IBF has a date that the World Championships will be held on. This is the 28th July to 3rd Auguest 2003.

From worldbadminton.net

The International Badminton Federation (IBF) is pleased to announce that the QI IBF World Championships, originally planned for 12-18 May in Birmingham, England, have been rescheduled to take place from 28 July to 3 August 2003.

The World Championships were called off due to the continued concerns surrounding Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).
    Since the postponement, IBF, and tournament hosts the Badminton Association of England (BA of E) and their stakeholders have been working hard to get the 7* event – a major points earner during the Olympic Qualifying Period – back on to the international calendar.

With the latest statistics from the World Health Organisation showing a downward trend in the number of reported SARS cases worldwide, and with the United Kingdom removed from the WHO’s list of SARS-affected areas earlier this month, Birmingham’s National Indoor Arena can once again prepare to welcome the cream of world badminton.

“The World Championships postponement has caused some contractual, logistical and financial headaches, and we are grateful to the BA of E and others for their desire still to hold the Championships, and for their dedication in spite of the extra workload for everyone involved,” said IBF Chief Executive Neil Cameron.

“The SARS situation will continue to be monitored closely and appropriate plans put in place in close liaison with the Birmingham Public Health authorities,” Cameron continued, who also welcomed the WHO’s specific “Guidance for mass gatherings” document issued on 15 May which contains recommendations to event organisers.

“We look forward to a successful event, and to crowning our 2003 World Champions, in just over two months’ time.”

The 350 players from 48 countries who had qualified for the original event will get the chance to fight for the title, and for crucial world ranking points towards their Athens 2004 qualification campaigns, which end on 30 April 2004.

The IBF’s Annual General Meeting – postponed alongside the original World Championships – has also been rescheduled and will now be held on Sunday 27 July.

---------------------------------------------

The only problem is, i'll be away at the academy :mad: :mad: I was hoping to see Candra and all the stars play because i'm going on the second day. What a date to reschedual. Still, good news though.

Matt

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    But SARS is still around. It's getting worse in Taiwan. UK still doesn't screen incoming passengers for temperature. The situation in other countries was getting better anyway. HK/Guangdong are only off the travel advisory alert today (HK still has more than 60 people with SARS currently/China don't want to think about it).

B'ham Public Health Laboratories were in existence at the end of April (is IBF saying they did not consult them before?:rolleyes:)

And with the IBF putting the WC back on calender, does that mean the reasons for cancelling the M'sian, S'porean, Indo Opens (only cancelled a few days ago) are now invalid?

Of course, I'm pleased to see the WC back on track:D, but there seem to be lots of inconsistencies around.

Oh yes, and I'm very happy that WHO has lifted the travel advisory alert to HK/Guangdong. Maybe I can get to go to see the China Open later this year:D

3. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Move on

Well, the table tennis does go on with SARS around so why not badminton? I believe the Asian Games in Vietnam is also going to carry on with SARS around sometime in September? I think all necessary precautions have to be in place just in case ... Not sure how's IBF going to address the ranking system, when is the cutoff date for qualification?
    Anyway, welcome back WC2003!