Just broke BG80 string...

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by KinkySmasher, Aug 27, 2011.

1. KinkySmasher

KinkySmasher Regular Member

I got a Carbonex 20 SP. The guy who string it said he strung it at 28 lbs. Is that too high? I broke it before even playing my first game. Just in warm up. What's the recommended tension for BG80 so it doesn't break?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    how old was the string? how did it break?

BG80 can be strung beyond 30lbs. it is a pretty durable string.

3. KinkySmasher

It was strung 2 days ago. Bought it brand new.

I was warming up with my partner just hitting shots back and forth. Don't know exactly when it broke. Definitely during the warm up session because I occasionally check strings when I play and I noticed it in between those times.

4. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    maybe because of structural damage of your racket?
    carbonex 20SP is an old racket and you strung it at 28lbs...

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Depends where it broke - if it was right in the middle of the bed my eyebrows would be up, but if it's above the top cross... that can happen at ANY time with ANY string at ANY tension, I'm sorry to say.

6. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    You definitely should take the racquet back and make a complaint if you haven't even had one game with it when you broke a string. Higher tensions do make it easier to break a string especially if you hit right near the top corners. And Mark A was right, it can break at any time if you hit it in the right(or wrong?) position.
    Definitely ask them to restring for free or at a discounted price and at a lower tension.

I thought there are old and new versions of the Carbonex 20sp? The old versions are definitely won't take anything more than 25lbs and breaking a string would be considered lucky compared to cracking the frame. I've had newish racquets get cracked with 26lbs just from a bad restringing.

I can smash pretty hard myself but don't understand why anyone would want to string past 24-25lbs unless they're super strong.

#6 leongwaipak, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  7. KinkySmasher

Could it be because of mishitting the shuttle? Well the stringer guy said it could take 28 lbs easy so I just went with it. I will definitely bring it back and complain. Hopefully they would restring it for free.

They're closed till next week though. Should I just cut the rest of the string now?

8. leongwaipak

Accountant
    hmmm cutting the strings will destroy the evidence of sorts. But not cutting it will warp the head a little. Take a photo before you cut the strings if you do feel like doing that.

But I don't like your chances of getting it free. Depends on what kinda of customer service he gives you, especially since the BG80 is an expensive string. How much did he charge you?

Typically your stringer can tell if it's a mishit depending on where the string broke.
    Where did it break? Most likely it will be a vertical string and three or so rows/strings from the side.

String it at a lower tension and don't hit so hard when you're warming up.

Finally, if the racquet can take a higher tension doesn't mean it SHOULD have a higher tension.
    It's like saying if I have a sports car and I SHOULD drive it at max speed all the time.
    You should string it at a lower tension which will be easier for you arm/elbow and the strings would be more durable.

Of course it's in his interest if your string breaks regularly, because he can make his income more regularly.
    Typically it takes me a few months to break a string, because I never string it past 25lbs and hit it around the middle more often than not.

#8 leongwaipak, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  9. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    I don't know about your area, but no stringer in my area will warranty stringing service, especially at that tension.
    all it takes is a lucky mis-hit and a worn out grommet for the string to break at 28lb.
    Hell, I've snapped BG65 at 25lb within the first hour before... not cool when it happens but it sometimes happens.

10. KinkySmasher

Charged me $8.20. Yeah it broke on the vertical line exactly where you said. I might just string it at 24 lbs next time.

Maybe it's because I didn't give the string enough time to stretch properly? It was brand new and I used it within 2 days. I dunno, just a theory.

11. leongwaipak

Accountant
    That unfortunately is a mishit zone where you broke the string. Basically, you hit the shuttle a little earlier than you should have and near the frame. The speed of the racquet head is highest at the top and being near the frame, the strings don't have as much flexibility as all the strings in the middle of the racquet.

Warm up with easy clear shots and net push rallys first instead of going straight into hard hits. Helps get your eye in before you wind it up. If you watch the pros on tv warm up-that's how they do it.

$8.20 is pretty darn cheap!! Back in Australia you could NEVER get a restring done for less than A$25 ~ US$24.

And yes there are some people (and restringers) who say that they shouldn't use a string straight away after restringing it. I kinda do agree with leaving it for a while, but again ANY mishits and the higher the tension will make break the string regardless of how long you leave it!!. LOL

12. KinkySmasher

The stringing is free actually. I just paid for the string. It's a shop where they have a person dedicated on stringing all day long. They used fancy digital stringing machine from Yonex and LiNing too, which is why I trust them.

Hmm, I'm thinking of just stringing it at 22 lbs but someone said that it would go down 2 lbs within the first two weeks. Is that true?

13. leongwaipak

Accountant
    22 lbs is a bit low. If you have the new revised version of the Cab20 then I'd go for 24..
    If it's a 10+ year old racquet, 22lbs is about right for an old racquet.

I don't think it goes down in tension than much?

14. Agile_Monkey

Agile_Monkey Regular Member

Student
    hmm..... if it broke on the vertical line, and IF the point of the broken string is near the top frame (eg. the two points will be separated pass thru the next grommet hole).

THEN.... it could be the grommets at around 12 o'clock (top 8 grommets) are broken, therefore, the strings could have contacted the graphite, which might have cut the strings, when you were warming up.

this is one of the main factor. Try take one grommet out, and check it out.

hope this helps =)

15. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    just because 22 is low for you, it doesn't mean it's low for EVERYONE else.

16. KinkySmasher

Yeah it's definitely 10+ years old. I think I'm going for 22/24.

Hmm very interesting. I just checked the grommets around the racket and it's indeed not in good condition. Most of the holes have a cut on both sides. How does one go about replacing all the grommets? Will a badminton store do it for me?

17. leongwaipak

Accountant
    Im tempted to say you should find a new racquet and sell this to a collector!!Lol. You can pickup new APACS or similar racquets for under $50 in your currency and they're pretty good. New gromits and new strings!

18. GUENNIIIII

GUENNIIIII Regular Member

Industrial Manager
    On my Voltric 80 I have 26/28lbs bg80 and find it very dureable play 4weeks with it and still feel great without much loss of tension.

BG66UM just rested one (3h) training on my racket.

19. kln_stringer

kln_stringer Regular Member

Computer draftsman
    Hi Kinkysmasher,
    i am a stringer in badminton racquets. that is crazy stringing at 28 lbs????? it is way to high that carbonex 20 SP. I recommend 22 to 23.....i did this tension for a few of my regular customers. They thanks me for that tension and loved it so much....nice feeling.

Take care
    Keng

20. Agile_Monkey

Agile_Monkey Regular Member

Student
    Hmm very interesting. I just checked the grommets around the racket and it's indeed not in good condition. Most of the holes have a cut on both sides. How does one go about replacing all the grommets? Will a badminton store do it for me?[/QUOTE]

I think a reputable badminton store should have grommets parts.
    or you could purchase some from here: http://www.mybadmintonstore.com/shop/index.php?cPath=25_62_150

it is hard to spot the broken grommets at around 12o'clock for Carbonex, because it is black color. try take out the grommets carefully, and check whether any breakage.

cheers.