Help me find my racquet

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by brianlg, Aug 27, 2011.

1. brianlg

brianlg Regular Member

student
    Hi guys. Player in USA looking for a racquet

How often do you play, how serious are you?

3 - 4 times a week. Pretty serious, but just starting out

What style of player are you?
    Singles quick and aggressive offense[/i]

Do you care much about durability or is it all about performance
    both are equally important

How much money do you want to spend?
    Around $50 USD

I realize I will probably have to buy used, but would love some recommendations on what racquets to look for. I know yonex and victor are nice brands.. any specific models that are good that could fall into my price range?

2. brianlg

brianlg Regular Member

student
    or does anyone know reputable places that sell used gear?

3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    $50 for Yonex usually only bring you into its lower range products, which hardly suitable for competitive level of playing. 2nd hand quality varies, and usually require a re-string right away (US$15 to 20 additional). Take a look at LiNing middle range rackets, some are very well built for US $60-70 range.

4. brianlg

brianlg Regular Member

student
    Hi, i'll look at them right now! thanks..
    also, i'm thinking i might try to get a Arc Saber 003 since they're not too much more than $50 (around 80) would this be good for a beginner/intermediate?

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I never tried AS003, so I cannot provide comment. If you have local shop / gym around you, definitely try to demo rackets before purchase. If you can increase your budget to $70 / 80 range, you should have a lot of more choices in various brands. Even though, most of the reputable brands do offer quality products, but its down to your own preference to select which one fits for your need.

6. brianlg

brianlg Regular Member

student
    Yeah, I need to find a local shop with good stock. Only place near me I've seen any is Dicks, and they just have the $10-20 Wilsons. I'd love to actually get a feel for the ones in my price range, it's harder when you're just looking at pictures online. I'm in Canton, Ohio.. I know theres a nice club in Cleveland (about an hour away) might have to run up there one day

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Definitely see what the stores in Cleveland have. But swinging something in the shop aisle is not the same as playing with it. So, before you go, borrow as many of your friends' rackets as you can. It will give you an idea of what you like .... if not what exact model to get, at least you'll know if you are suited to flexible or stiff, head-heavy or balanced. Good luck.