Measure the effective string tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Accordaz, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Is it possible to measure the effective string tension of a used racket?
    When I bought my Arcsaber10, I've let it strung by the vendor with NG98. But the tension was probably too high 22 - 23 lbs;
    But now it's a little bit looser than before and I think the feeling is almost perfect. Just a little bit too loose now - what means that I have to restring it soon:(

Is it possible to measure the tension? I'd like to restring with the same tension (or a little bit above).

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    unfortunately, it is not as simple as that.

different stringer with different work flow, string speed, different type of machine, and different calibration all can affect the outcome of the string job, including both the effective tension as well as the overall feel/quality of the string job.

so even if you can measure the tension, telling the stringer such is not going to be very useful. as stringer A's 22lbs will be different than stringer B's 22lbs.

the best thing to do is to find the same exact stringer and ask him to string the same tension. only then will you be able to get close to what you wanted.

3. KinkySmasher

KinkySmasher Regular Member

Wouldn't that kind of noticeable difference be eliminated when stringers use digital machine?

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    digital machine isn't automated. it also depends on the stringer's flow and skill, and how fast one works. and whether the machine is calibrated.

i have used 2 different digital machines to string one of my rackets and i noticed they feel different.

AK (Yonex official stringer) told me that he and other certifiied stringer has compared and find that even them, professional stringers using the same machine, one of them consistently come up with string jobs that are noticably tighter than the other stringers.

5. Accordaz

Accordaz Regular Member

Thanks for your answers. But I'm still not sure about the main question: Is it possible to measure the tension? Yes or no? :)

Probably I will go to the same vendor (and probably same stringer) as before.

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    It is only possible to know the tension when stringing (because we set the tension of the pull of the string as required).

After the stringing is completed, we won't be able to go back to measure the tension anymore.

7. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    There are some apps for the ipod/iphone/ipad out there that some people have used to estimate the tension of a racket. That might help.

ClearTune
    RacketTune
    etc.