User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi viver

I guess the kid can use his mouth (teeth) to hold the shuttle and drop it towards his racket when serving. I won't be surprised that such kids can also use one of their legs, replacing fingers with toes. Should not deprive such kids from enjoying the game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. That's like ostracizing the poor kid from the great sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Loh
    Hi jwu

Nice to hear from you. I guess things are working OK with you now. Hope you enjoy your new job and the company of your new colleagues.

I've only returned shots between the legs very rarely but slightly more often from behind my back. Those returns were done usually out of desperation and when I in a tight spot rather than of choice, as in the case of service.
    hey Loh, thanks, good to be back and yeah everything is going well now. New job is great and income is back is support this badminton obsession .

well, i return more shots behind my back then between the legs because well, I think it's kind of a "risky" shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't get why you return shots behind the back. If you do it a lot though, that would be really cool. Woudn't it be better to just use backhand?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as long as you don't move your feet, since you can't move your heels as soon as your racket moves forward...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by ArchDevil145
    I don't get why you return shots behind the back. If you do it a lot though, that would be really cool. Woudn't it be better to just use backhand?
    Hmmmmm, sometimes it is hard to do it alot but you can do it once in awhile to switch it up, add some variety? Most of the time, yes you'll be able to use backhand but if you return backhand 90% of the the time, they'll never expect a behind the back return

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Loh
    Hi viver

I guess the kid can use his mouth (teeth) to hold the shuttle and drop it towards his racket when serving. I won't be surprised that such kids can also use one of their legs, replacing fingers with toes. Should not deprive such kids from enjoying the game.
    Actually that was my argument. Asked them to find in the books a rule where it prevents the server holding the shuttle with his teeth.

The kid could use his non racquet arm but not able to fully utilize it. Serve is OK, no problem at all. You know, the organizers (local badminton association) decided not to allow the kid to play, no sound reasons or foundations to prevent him from playing. The club even sent a letter to IBF for clarification. But the poor kid gave up disgusted with all the troubles. Too bad, when you think the culprit is the official entity responsible for promoting the sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by viver
    Actually that was my argument. Asked them to find in the books a rule where it prevents the server holding the shuttle with his teeth.

The kid could use his non racquet arm but not able to fully utilize it. Serve is OK, no problem at all. You know, the organizers (local badminton association) decided not to allow the kid to play, no sound reasons or foundations to prevent him from playing. The club even sent a letter to IBF for clarification. But the poor kid gave up disgusted with all the troubles. Too bad, when you think the culprit is the official entity responsible for promoting the sport.
    I've seen a one-armed player--it can be done within the rules.

Remember the basic rules of serve--racquet head must be below server's hand, shuttle must be contacted below the waist, feet cannot move, racquet head movement must continue forwards once the serve has started, etc. This last one is the only problem, but with practice, it can be overcome. The serve starts when the racquet head begins forward motion (IBF Rule 9.4). What if the server holds the shuttle up with his fingertips while also holding the racquet in that only hand. Now the server drops the shuttle and brings the racquet down and BACK (serve hasn't actually started yet), then swings forward. (Most likely this would be a forehand serve, but it doesn't have to be.)

I don't know about laws in other countries, but in the US, being excluded on this basis would be grounds for a lawsuit under the ADA, much like the golfer who had to use a cart in a PGA tournament instead of walking the course.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that would not be the grounds of a law suit in Canada. The Charter only covers governmental action, not private organizations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2