Observations on taking a break...

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by UkPlayer, May 25, 2003.

1. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    I just took a couple of months out from badminton training on average 3-5x a week. Here are some interesting observations on my return:

Negatives:
    - I'm slower and not as fit
    - My touch has gone
    - My power has decreased
    - I broke strings on 2 rackets!

Positives
    - I've noticed how good the shots are that I took for granted before (the ones that are still there)
    - I've realised my level is actually quite high
    - I'm more relaxed
    - I'm enjoying it more
    - I'm fitter and more powerful than I thought I was
    - I'm still beating good players
    - My injury has gone

Conclusion: It's actually quite a good thing to have taken this break after a year and a half solid training because I've discovered my fundamentals.

2. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Interesting UKP,

I have a couple of players returned to coaching/training recently after a break of 2 and 3 years respectively (formerly Premier Div UK players) and while as you have described they have lost fitness and touch, etc I think their focus and concentration is actually better than it was. Also having taken a break you are not expecting anything and consequently play better! Shows what harm too much self pressure can do to your performance

3. Joanne

Joanne Regular Member

Getting thrashed on court.
    I stopped playing for 1 year when I was in year 5... But when I started playing again I found out my strokes were much stronger, it went deeper into the court and I just felt, umm refreshed. :)

4. jwu

jwu Regular Member

Medical Research
    good to take a break sometime as long as you don't let yourself completely go during that break and come back w/ 50+ lbs. :D Good to have you back UKP.

5. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I took a break from badminton after playing actively in Form 1 when I was 13, ended up playing tennis at Form 2, back to badminton again in Form 3 and Form 4, didn't play again until earlier this year; which is about .... 7 years.

I noticed that I improved a lot playing in Form 1, but after a one year hiatus, my skills totally nose-dived and I had trouble recapturing the form that I had when I played seriously in Form 1.

After that LONG 7 year break, I came back playing crap. Really crap. Used to be able to do the jumping smashes as well as baseline drives, but since been missing the shuttle, hitting the rim etc etc.

Need to shake off the rust and re-oil the joints as well as digging deep into my muscle memory on how to hit.

I guess the break that you guys are talking about is perhaps a 1 month off thing? :D

6. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Thanks, good to be back :)

P.S. arms if you're reading this I can't respond to your PM because you've got PM's and emails blocked in your settings.

#6 UkPlayer, May 27, 2003
    Last edited: May 27, 2003
  7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I once took a year out. It took me 9 months to get back into shape again.

Another time, I stopped training for a while (but still played club) - people started saying I was more patient in my game and my stroke play. More tending to outmanoevre opponents and wait for opportunities rather than trying to force the game.

8. Kiwiplayer

Kiwiplayer Regular Member

Yes, coming back from a break can be a good thing as it can give you a little more perspective on the game.

With regard to fitness, however, taking a long break doesn't have to detract from your fitness too much if you stay active. Indeed, if you take up something as crazy as running, maybe you'll end up being even fitter in certain areas. Sure, it'll be a different type of fitness, but you definately won't be starting from scratch again. And hey, if you find all the old politics etc creeping back up on you in badminton, you can say "sod it" and go back to the alternative hobby....

9. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    Very true, but you tend to lose a fair amount if you take up going down the pub, partying and....etc. etc. ;)

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i had various experiences with taking a break.

i stopped playing badminton after highschool, during the first xmas break, called up some old friends to play some badminton. after going from 3+ times a week to zero, i was unable to hit the shuttle at all. the timing was completely wrong, i completely missed everything and looked like a complete beginner.

extending that long break during college, i didn't play badminton for 4 years. went to graduate school in a different school. called up the badminton group there. and then i was able to hit the birdie and pick up the game again. i then realized how much i missed and loved badminton. no doubt about it. yeah, my skill wasn't like i had back in HS. but it was a mighty good feeling. that "bang.... bang...." sound that we love to hear.

i have in a couple occasions taking a shorter break from badminton. once i was playing too much, like 4 times/10 hours per week. i felt a little bit burned out from badminton so i took a month's break and went did some biking instead. after i came back, i found that i was much more focused and actually i managed to play better than before.

ps. welcome back UKPlayer!!

11. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi all,

There is actually a theory based on stages of learning which could explain this. Want me to dig it up?

Matt

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Matt, sure!

13. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I think when you take a break after a period of training and playing a lot, may be just 3-5weeks, when you return you could end up being a better player, as you will focus on what you know to be right and concentrate on doing this, rather than doing the same bad habits you had before. Also i think, although never tried it would be good to play with a completly new set of people your level or above, you should then play the game at your hardest with good tactics. If you play with the same type then you will end up picking up bad habits without knowing it, as a particular shot although bad against most opposition may be effective against some so you over rely on this without developing new shots you stay with the same.

14. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I know the original post was refering to long breaks but a break of a couple of weeks can be beneficial. It takes two weeks for your body to fully recover/adapt to a training session so tapering training for two weeks before a big event is common.

Mentally a break can be beneficial since you get back that keeness to hunt the shuttle. Its a bit like when you go to watch the All England and can't wait to get back on court and you subsequently play better.;)

15. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    know what you mean about the all england, unfortunatley i played a malaysian in singles who i normally beat and he was on fire!!:D :mad:

16. ArchDevil145

ArchDevil145 Regular Member

student
    I think taking breaks builds confidence in a player. That might make them eager to beat any opponent since they long to play and has the mood.

17. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Some what agreed. I haven't played volleyball in a year and in gym we did volleyball. I can spike pretty hard (quick sets), jump serve w/ lots of top spin and the v-ball starts dropping at the net as opposed to my bad timing for spiking and horrible spin/lob for jump serves.

I think people need time off from a sport at regular intervals to correct some technique or what not.

18. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

hi

For older players its better for them to rest and not play too much..... this will not overstrain them...