Will Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong do better without Rexy Mainaky?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Sep 3, 2011.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Will Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong do better without Rexy Mainaky?

Source: http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2011/9/3/sports/9422253&sec=sports

====== * ====== start article ====== * ======

By RAJES PAUL
    Saturday September 3, 2011

Time for a change, Koo-Tan want to revive their careers under Pang

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia’s top doubles pair of Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong have finally spoken their minds – they want to part ways with badminton coach Rexy Mainaky after a tumultuous five-year rollercoaster journey together.

The world No. 5 pair now want to revive their careers under coach Pang Cheh Chang, who is currently handling the women’s doubles department.

Kien Keat-Boon Heong had a heart-to-heart talk with Rexy yesterday to inform him of their decision at Stadium Juara in Bukit Kiara.

The duo had come under severe fire following their meek quarter-final loss to South Koreans Ko Sung-hyun-Yoo Yeon-seong in the recent World Championships in Wembley. It was their fifth defeat by the Koreans over two years.

Just a year earlier, the duo had showed such aggression to reach the final of the world meet before going down to Cai Yun-Fu Haifeng of China in Paris.

Kien Keat and Boon Heong, however, were quick to point out that they were not blaming Rexy for their recent failures and that they only wanted to find a new direction in their bid to be genuine contenders for medals at next year’s London Olympics.

Kien Keat even admitted that their failure at the world meet was “our own doing”.

“Boon Heong and I are not blaming Rexy. It’s obvious that Boon Heong and I are having problems and it resulted in our poor results at the world meet. We hope this decision to part ways with Rexy will not be misconstrued. We are not blaming him,” said Kien Keat.

“The outcome at the world meet showed that we cannot reproduce the same form that saw us achieve great results in the past. Rexy has done his best for us and we enjoyed good times together ... but we need something new now. We need a change.

“Perhaps another coach can help us. We have reached a plateau in our game. Boon Heong and I have run out of ideas on how to improve our game.

“A new coach and a fresh training environment could bring back the excitement in our game. I am not saying that Rexy’s training is boring ... it’s just us. Boon Heong and I are ready to try something different.

“Boon Heong and I had a chat recently and I was keen with his suggestion to train under his former coach Pang.”

Cheh Chang had coached Boon Heong during his junior days at the Bukit Jalil Sports School (BJSS). In fact, it was under Cheh Chang’s guidance that Boon Heong and his former partner Hoon Thien How emerged as the world junior champion in 2005.

“I believe Pang will be able to help us. I remember my junior days with him and, hopefully, Koo and I will be able to do something different under him as senior players now,” said Boon Heong.

“It is the same as when you work in a company. If you have been a manager for some time and are not going anywhere, one option is to seek a fresh start elsewhere. There is nothing wrong with the present company but it is more about one’s own will to make a difference.

“Koo and I are not undermining Rexy by switching coaches. We realise that we are not going anywhere and we have to do something if we want to be winners again.

“It was not easy for us to make this decision but we are happy that Rexy took it well when we spoke to him today.

“I will always be thankful to him. We have won many titles but I will remember him for changing my lifestyle. I used to be lazy but he motivated me to work harder.

“We hope that our request to train under Pang will help us keep alive our dream of doing well in the Olympic Games. We want to win and we have to get our act right with just 11 months to go.”

Kien Keat-Boon Heong played in their first international tournament under Rexy at the Japan Open in September 2006 and reached the final. They nailed the Asian Games gold medal for the first time in three decades for the country at Doha in 2006 – marking their rise as the country’s top pair.

Despite the ups and downs under Rexy, Kien Keat-Boon Heong remained as the country’s best bet to win honours and, if given the right backing, they should return to London as one of the main contenders for the gold medal at the Olympic Games.

====== * ====== end article ====== * ======

2. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I have a bad feeling about this. I think they just missed out any chance of winning next year OG. That said, I dont understand why Rexy always spoke to them in Malay/Bahasa, why not English Rex?? Another thing I dont get is: so who's in charge in BAM?

3. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    money and power

4. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Me thinks Pang is better in tactical, their results is best when Pang is with them.
    ENglish? How TBH going to fully understand? During matches, better to speak in a language opponent dont understand. I've heard Pang shout out instructions in malay when KKK/TBH vs FU/Cai

5. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I see, but I dont think TBH also understood Rexy's bahasa that well either.

6. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

So in this moment, players can dictate who they want to be coached by? Sorry I dont mean to criticise BAM, I just dont know how it works? I mean isn't it every players under the national team roof must follow what the chief allocate? And every major changes must be consulted and granted by the boss?

7. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I still don't believe AG is a big thing because it is not 'International'. Think 'open'. Not discriminatory. ;)

Any other games which has a big Asian billing? ;)

TBH good in saying 'gua ta tau lo...'

KKK good in saying 'gua suka goreng goreng.. ' lol. ;)

8. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Did Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong discuss it with the CTC of BAM first?

Same here... I've asked myself the same question too. :confused::confused::confused:

Did Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong discuss it with the Coaching and Training Committee (CTC) of BAM first, before informing Rexy Mainaky that they wish to go to Pang Cheh Chang as their coach?

If the answer is 'No', then I am puzzled as to how CTC can be said to be the Malaysian national coaching body. :confused::confused::confused:

#8 chris-ccc, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  9. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    We will know everything by September 8..too much politics at BAM....now it is a lesson for any outsider coaches who want to coach MAS players in future....it is better Rexy leaves BAM.

10. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Leave BAM and go back to England? ;)

11. skchen

skchen Regular Member

Consultant
    It could be a lingo issue with TBH and maybe PCC could be better understood when he shouts instructions/advice during tournaments.
    Let's hope that everything works out for the better for KKK/TBH with the change of coaches.

12. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Well he can come to Australia and coach me ;)

13. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Much better than English. Do you know that the media interviews TBH in malay(or better still chinese), not english? That's why whenever anything is in English, he just keeps quiet & points to KKK. It seems Pang speaks cantonese to KKK & mandarin to TBH, malay if china opponent. Good to be multi lingual :D

It's expected, been a cooking ever since Tan Kim Her came back to Msia, politics wise. But that aside, for some reason, KKK/TBH best results are when Pang is with them. I consider Pang to be good in tactical-changing tactics during the match thing. Both Pang & Rexy is good combo

#13 eaglehelang, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  14. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Pang is suitable to coach both KKK/TBH. This episode is like during Misbun/LCW to LiMao/LCW back
    to Misbun/LCW and now SBok/LCW.

Initially Pang coached TBH/KKK then Rexy - KKK/TBH and back to Pang KKK/TBH. Don't know who is next
    after that.

15. visor

visor Regular Member

They are not young anymore. Better to make change now, since it's been 5 years they've been together and the "downhill" thread and trend exist past 2-3 yrs. Perhaps a change in mindset and a fresh start would have a positive psychological effect. Perhaps they see LCW improve with change to TSB and wants to try a change too.

16. damondemon

damondemon Regular Member

men of the world
    Good query...anyway, me thinks KKK has got big headed and he is definitely not the most hardworking player in the team. After all the achievements with Rexy, now say "rubbish"! If can make it, dont join BAM in the first place? Why not resign now and achieve like in the past? Fail, blame the coach, win?

17. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    its easier to change coach than change players
    BAM has only this pair to depend on... lain2 belum standard lagi

18. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

I really hope this change could make them be more serious with their responsibility, they asked to change so they have to bear with the out come after this, so they have to be 100% serious now.

No one to blame after this:).............lets wait and see !! Results will tell it all...........;)

19. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

What if KKK/TBH still under performs after change coach and Rexy managed to bring another pair up to WR top 10.............????? :D :D :D

20. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    yes, bring Ah How and new partner into top 10 and take over from KKK/TBH
    go How!!!!