What makes a pro?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Footwork_816, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Footwork_816

Footwork_816 Regular Member

To me there are two elements to badminton: footwork and shots. this is not including physical fitness

But i think theres more to badminton because if this was true then a coach i know should be as good as the top players. He has great footwork and all of his shots are consistent. Now of course pros are going to have better shots and footwork but i feel as though if this coach played a player like LCW, LCW would destroy him without trying. so wat does LCW have over someone like my coach who has great shots and footwork???

2. asianguy

asianguy Regular Member

student
    Even better shots and footwork of course :D

You can't even compare the two; Lee Chong Wei trains like what, more than 5 hours a day?
    You really have to see these people play to realize just how amazing they are. I had the opportunity to to watch Lee Yong Dae and his partner Ko Sung Hyun practice during the 2011 Canada Open sitting right up next to the court (I was taking pictures), and their speed is totally unreal :eek:

#2 asianguy, Sep 3, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  3. Footwork_816

ehhh but i don't see how you could improve (im getting tired of saying a coach ik so lets just call him my coach even tho i don't have one ;)) my coach's footwork and shots much more.

There are certain patterns to get to each corner. you just have to memorize them and be able to do them subconsciously. Combine that with timing the split step right you mastered footwork. this doesn't include having ur right foot in front of left and stuff like that. thats basic stuff. For shots u just need correct technique and need to be able to them consistently

My coach can do all the stuff i listed above and honestly i don't see how that could take more than 3 years and ik badminton does not only take 3-4 years to master. There has to be something the pros have thats not just better footwork and shots.

4. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

What makes a pro ?
    I think a good attitude and good effort to learn more makes a pro, you won't learn more if you don't care and not committed to play.

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

A good tactical mind helps too.
    Someone who has trained logically, rigourously and inflexibly with drills might have perfect form but lack tactical decision making skills. Self-confidence, quick imaginative thinking, and an ability to read opponents are essential differences between the good and the great. You can see it at social/club level too.

6. Footwork_816

So what im gathering is the thing that sets pros apart is their mentality? hmmm i was looking for a more physical attribute because alot of people have a good mindset, i don't think you can make it to intermmediate level without a good mindset. Tactics on the other hand could be a big divider between good and great.

I still feel as though theres more to the physical side of badminton than just shots and footwork, once again im disregarding fitness. I'm saying this because i've been playing badminton for 15 months and can do every shot and pretty consistently to. this is the exception of slicing, haven't put in much time in learning it and my jump smash could be better but ik wats wrong with it but haven't invested time in it like my slices.

I know the footwork patterns to all 4 corners and can do them subconsciously altho sometimes i move late, probably because i sometimes mistime my split step.

So what im wondering now is how can i improve my game? i can't find a way to drastically improve my footwork or my shots and my fitness is good which is y i asked if there was something pros did that regular people didn't. the only thing i can thing of improving is tactics because im not really good at them but im wondering if theres something else because if theres not then i would say im not too far away (maybe another 2, 2.5 years) from mastering this game.

7. drew tze en

Have you heard the saying 10,000 hours ?

8. Footwork_816

Well to master something yea. im not saying i've mastered shots or footwork but they're pretty good and all i can see now is to master the techniques i already kno with more practice. I was hoping someone would tell me a new technique that i didn't kno that pros use and maybe thats y they're so good and would completely destroy every1 else. If not i guess the only thing left for me to really cover is tactics. I play singles btw and all i really kno about tactics is wat i have read in badmintonbible which IMO is the best badminton site in the world. to bad he hasn't posted anything in a while :(

9. asianguy

asianguy Regular Member

student
    No one in the world, not even the pros, can truly "master" the game. There's always going to be things to improve no matter how you look at it. Players like Lee Chong Wei is able to get that good because of his excellent work ethic and his total dedication to badminton. Even then, he does still make errors in games (like any human would) so there's always going to be aspects to improve on be it mental or physical.

There is no technique that would make you completely destroy anyone else. It's a matter of practice, practice, and more practice.

10. drew tze en

I agree with this statement.

11. Footwork_816

Well small things in badminton can make a big difference so if theres a technique pros then thats wat would give them a huge advantage. yea i agree its impossible to "master the game". wat i meant was as close as humanly possible mastery. In that case i guess all i can do is practice altho im sure i'll find out l8r on down the road things i haven't been and should be doing. too bad i can't record myself play. that would probably help alot.

Oh i have one question about singles tactics since thats an area i can see alot of improvement in. i mix up my shots with clears, drops, netshots, lifts and just wait for the opponent to make a mistake so i can smash it or netkill it or for it to go out. problem is i sometimes make the mistake first and i was just wondering whether or not i should play clears too much and play more aggressively

I always feel safe when i play a drop because ik he can't really attack me, all he can do is lift or play a netshot. however when i play a clear, i mainly play standard clears (not too high, not too low) so they won't get intercepted, i find i don't feel too good because he can potentially play any shot

Plus i watched pro badminton and those guys like almost never clear so thats where i got the idea

12. asianguy

asianguy Regular Member

student
    Well a good way to start is by having a coach if you don't have one already. A good coach will give good input and tell you the things you need to work on. I think another very important thing that is critical to improving is just simply to enjoy playing badminton.

13. Footwork_816

A coach i might get later on but for now im going to see how far i can get without one. Yea i do have fun. My mentality is pretty much everything u guys said: im dedicated, i work hard, and i love playing the sport. I don't think i would be as good as i am in such a short time if i didn't have all of that. Well thx for the input i'll see wat i can do from here

14. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

beside all the techniques,stamina, training, equipment n etc..

i feel that top players b it in badminton or any.sport.. is the mental strength...

only those with the strongest.. mental strength... can make it....

if u have it.... u r on the top.... if u lose it..... u will defintely..fall..

imo only...

15. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's impossible to give much advice without a video but if you feel you can master the game in 2-3years time, I'm not sure what advice will help you. Should we be looking out for your name in tournaments in the near future? If so, best of luck!

17. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Sounds like what the OP really needs at this point is better opponents.

And indeed, anyone this dedicated and confident is someone to keep an eye on. Go for it Footwork_816!

18. Talkingtaco2

Talkingtaco2 Regular Member

The coach "coaches" the player "plays" there's a significant diffrence between coaching, getting the occasional hit, and knowing the theory than putting the theory into practice for 5+ hours a day. Someone like LCW would have much better footwork, better shots, and be in a far better physical shape than your coach. I also believe that 50% of badminton is played in your mind, I've seen players loose with a 5-6 match point advantage, take LCW for example, in BCW he basically killed himself as he held a consistent Match Point advantage over Lin Dan. Physically, and skill wise, I believe that LCW has an advantage, but Lin Dan has a stronger mental game, or less pressure to win. Even if your coach had a similar level of play to a national player, I highly doubt his mental game would be on par with someone such as LCW.

19. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    A pro is a champion. ;)

20. Footwork_816

oh ok thx guys so i'll work on my mental strength. lol i don't plan on going pro but i do want to play in tournaments. Yea i do need better competition because i play for my high school and as u kno kids in high school don't really kno anything at all. I mean i go to my local club too but no1 there is good at singles or fit. Badmintons not that big the US :crying:.

But how do u improve ur footwork beyond just being able to do the movements subconsciously and timing ur split step right? My coach can do all that perfectly so if he were to improve footwork what would he do?