hand hurts (2)

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by TheComedian, Sep 3, 2011.

1. TheComedian

TheComedian Regular Member

Badminton Player/Coach
    now I think I am having the same problem as the other guy who post that his hand hurt, but he was a bit lazy with the description. So here whats wrong:

It the back of my hand. It feels like the bone conecting the middle, ring, and pinky fingers to the wrist. when I bend my hand back the bones look like there sticking out. more so then my left hand.

And I when i was very young i have a "tick" i guess. I would "click" my knuckles. I didn't crack them. i just would click them. Mostly the middle one which sticks out the most.

sometimes it hurts a lot, and other times it doesn't. It hurts the most when I do over head backhand clears and smashes. but during a match it will stop hurting. around the 4 - 5 point mark. but after a match and a rest, it will begin to hurt again. I will try to provide some photo's tomorrow.

what you guys think? reconstructive hand surgery?

2. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Your metacarpals are "sticking out"? This is gonna need pictures.
    The problem might be where the metacarpals meet the carpal bones: Lots of little bones with lots of little joints means lots of little places that can go wrong when you abuse your wrist with racket sports.

As per the usual disclaimer, youu should always get medical advice in person. (But that doesn't mean you can't still post the pictures.:rolleyes:)

3. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

see a doctor 1st... maybe some medicine or treatment will help..u....

by verbally saying here...no1 really know hows good or bad is yr condition...

4. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    DSC00426.JPG DSC00427.JPG DSC00432.JPG DSC00434.JPG DSC00436.JPG DSC00437.JPG

Pictures of my hands. Left and right for comparison.
    Where it hurts.
    How I hold my racket
    and tense fingers.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You mean those three lines on the back of your hand?

Off the top of my head (anatomy is not my strong point), I think those are linked to the extensor digitorum profundus - muscle - and those 3 things are the tendons.

No evidence of metacarpals sticking out as far as I can see from the pictures.

Red dots signify the painful areas? need to see a doctor for examination of the hand. Can't think of much more to do except perhaps a x-ray of the hand.

#5 Cheung, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  6. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    yeah, red dots are the painful areas. alright, I will go to the hospital and get an x - ray or something. In china it will be hard to explain what the problem is. I may have to make a quick trip back home.

it's not just badminton, it's when I pick something up the heavy as well.

I think it also may have something to do with me playing "Super Smash Bros. 64" on a keyboard for the last 7+ years.

7. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    You're in China. Why not go to an acupuncturist?

8. TheComedian

Badminton Player/Coach
    I talked to an acupuncturist. They cannot do acupuncture to the back of the hand. there are no "Points" there. She told me to soak a towel in hot water and put it on my hand for 5 minutes, then massage where it hurts for another 5 minutes. 3 times a day. haven't tried it yet, but I will let you guys know later.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

As Cheung says, those are normal tendons sticking out, not bones. ... The large red dot is your 4th metacarpalphalangeal (MCP) joint. Probably overuse injury. Too much video games as you say. :p. .... Instead of acupuncturist, you should see a "teet da" Chinese doctor who deals with bones and joints.

10. addicted

addicted Regular Member

I don't really see anything too wrong with your hands. I mean, looking at the back of my left and right hand, the tendons are sticking out more on my right hand, while my left is more painful trying to do this. That's from being a right-handed typist and player. I think it's natural to have pain when you 'abuse' your bones and muscles (I used to get massive pain after typing, clicking there with my mouse or let's say knitting or playing, anything that has the same repetitive movement for a long period of time), cause our bodies are not used to doing those types of things. Anyway, see a doctor to any relief advice.

11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    One thing I have learnt the hard way is to ensure correct posture especially when sitting long hours on the computer. And providing the correct support/rest for my mouse hand is equally important.

12. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

yeah had that problem when i first started to go heavy on my baddy sessions.

my solution, i regularly massage the are my tracing my fingers between the knuckles along the bones up to my wrist. it was gone after 2 weeks.

might not work if you smashed your fist against a wall though :p