Help with choosing a raquet

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Awakenot, Sep 4, 2011.

1. Awakenot

Awakenot New Member

Hi I'm a intermediate player who wants to upgrade my raquet from a arcsaber 5. Im a very aggressive player who smashes alot alot and on occasion uses aggressive clears. I am usually found playing doubles but muck about in singles too. The voltric series is sort of out of my price rage. Brand preferred is yonex. However I am open to other ideas.

2. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    well what do you want to get out of the "upgrade"? from the arc5 to....what? what do you want the new racket to do for you?

3. Awakenot

Awakenot New Member

I would like to have more control around the net and drops shots without loosing too much power on the smash.

4. Awakenot

Awakenot New Member

thanks for taking an interest in this tread by the way, its my first post :)

5. kiradeathnote

kiradeathnote Regular Member

student
    arcsaber 5 dx?? sound like an upgrade though.

6. alanwong76

alanwong76 Regular Member

Interior Deco
    arcsaber 5 is a medium flex racket..since you want more on net and drop shots and stay on the smash power... can consider nanospeed series ? say, nanospeed 5500 ? 6600 ?

But, if you really like to play badminton and always play.. why don't you put more budget to ensure you get a nicer racket that suite you more ?

7. S.fusion

S.fusion Regular Member

I just could not understand, don't expect miracles from buying a newer racket. Nothing wrong with arc 5. To get better, you need to improve yr skills. However a cheaper way of upgrade is to test out various string tensions if u want more control. Any feel of improvement after buying a new racket is psychological., unless you previous racket is a heavy beginner steel racket.
    If you upgrade just because you are tired of the look of yr current racket, then any new racket tht fits yr budget will do.

8. TiKok

TiKok Guest

Hi,
    What in your actual game you dislike with AS5, and/or would like to improve ?

9. charlotte_alice

charlotte_alice Regular Member

Customer Service
    I read a very good article http://badminton-racket.blogspot.com/2009/12/what-makes-good-badminton-racket.html - its a bit of long read but it really does help.

If you really are serious about getting a good racket then make sure you have a consistant style, because a racket will only be as good as you are, its like any sport, you can have the best equipment but if you cannot use it properly and consistently then it won't matter how good it is, it won't perform to its optimum.

I had a mission of a job trying to find a good racket, I just wanted something lighter and tighter strung so I went for the Carlton Solar Storm. Yonex are good but there are other amazing rackets out there very similar in quality and at a lower price.

Just to add: Yonex Nanospeed 300 may be worthwhile getting: http://www.directbadminton.co.uk/Pr...ck/Silver) Badminton Racket&FromSearchPage=No

#9 charlotte_alice, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011
  10. waveteczeus

waveteczeus Regular Member

Ti 10 is good for doubles, thin shaft makes it fast, it can be used for singles too but better for doubles.good with control too.I use mine a lot , the racket does have it's own momentum but my wavetec 700 has way more so I'm used to it.

11. amleto

amleto Regular Member

You're a bit late! :mad:

12. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    as everyone else had mentioned, improving on your skills would/should be your first priority since the arc5 isn't exactly a beginner's crappy racket at all. develope a game wth it, and eventually you'll notice what's lacking. but if you have done so already, i would recommend you a racket that is a bit stiffer, and a bit head heavier. so that you'll get more control at the net with the stiffer shaft, but a bit of power from the head heaviness. someone suggested that you should play around with the string tension/type which is a very good idea as well. it's hard to find a balance, and it's a constant struggle between control and power. but with time, you will eventually figure out :)