Grip Size and Balance Point

Discussion in 'Grip' started by CanucksDynasty, Sep 6, 2011.

1. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Just wondering if there is any correlation to grip size and balance point of a racket.

For example...
    Let's take Yonex VT80 3UG4 and 3UG5. Let's say they both have the same weight of 86 grams. Which would have the higher Balance Point and what would that mean?

I ask cuz VT80 only comes in G3 and G4 in Canada. If I wanted G5 then I'd have to buy online. I'm comfortable with using both G4 and G5. But I suspect I may be able to make more deceptive shots with G5 though.

Thanks,
    CD.

2. visor

visor Regular Member

You're correct on that last point: a small grip allows for better control of racket face. ..... However grip size doesn't affect bp. As bp is the point of balance between handle and head, so size does not matter, only mass. ..... BTW, you should know that the bigger handles have a bigger hole drilled into the bottom as compared to smaller handles, in order to maintain the same mass so that bp is unchanged.

#2 visor, Sep 6, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  3. CanucksDynasty

Never bothered to unwrap the original grip to see the bare wood underneath. Thanks for the answering my question. So I guess I'll be buying rackets online now for the G5 grip size :).

4. visor

visor Regular Member

Sorry, didn't mean anything by it. Should have worded it better but was in a rush... still working, you know. :)

5. CanucksDynasty

No worries. I have a thick skin. Helps keep my temper when dealing with the wife. :rolleyes: