badminton courts in Cincinnati

Discussion in 'USA East' started by kishoreinc, May 26, 2003.

1. kishoreinc

kishoreinc Regular Member

Does anyone know of any badminton courts in Cincinnati, Ohio?

Thank you

2. Stephenie

Stephenie Regular Member

Bookkeeper
    Yes, there is the UC Armory (part of UC's club team) e-mail address is
    emalonjeni@yahoo.com and also a team that plays somewhere in Bond Hill- Contact's name is Harvey Mason at 513-683-9019. Hope to see you there!!!:)

3. preman

preman Regular Member

we play Monday and Friday from 7:30 pm to 9:30 pm at Haffey FieldHouse in the city of Reading, Ohio. The fee is $5 per night per person. There are two courts available. If you need direction, let me know.

4. Stephenie

Stephenie Regular Member

Bookkeeper
    Thanks! Please let me know what street it's on & I think we can find it! If you are on 1 court is the other one usually open?:)

5. kishoreinc

Thank you Stephenie and Preman!
    Preman, can you please give us directions to the court in Reading? Can you buy Shuttles in the court itself? Is this open all year round?
    Also, I need to buy a good racket. Are you aware of any shops here that specialize in badminton rackets? I did a search on Google and found many places in Bay area. If I don't find any here I will have to get one shipped from there although I don't like to buy a racket without trying it.

Thanks and see you soon!

6. preman

preman Regular Member

We have 2 places that we usually play badminton: Cincinnati Country Day (CCD) School and Haffey FieldHouse.

We play at high school gym of Cincinnati Country Day (CCD) School on Monday and Wednesday from 7:30 PM to 9 PM. The season at CCD starts from September till end of April.

Now we started to play at Haffey FieldHouse in the city of Reading on Monday and Friday from 7:30 PM to 9 PM after the season at CCD ends. We always have two courts open for playing. We use feather shuttlecocks. There is a $5 charge for shuttlecocks ONLY. Iggy Yee will collect the money for the shuttlecocks when the club is out of shuttlecocks. He is the person in charge of getting feather shuttlecocks, informing us if there is no badminton on certain day and etc etc. If you have your own shuttlecocks, you don’t have to pay $5 (you just chip-in your shuttlecocks during the play).

Directions to Haffey Gym from I-75:
    Going north or south on I-75,
    Take the Shepherd Lane exit,
    (this exit is at the south end of the GE plant, just north of cites of Reading and Lockland and is south of the I-275/I-75 exchange and north of the Norwood Lateral)
    Go east on Shephard Lane along south side of GE Plant
    Turn left at 4 way stop sign onto Smalley Road
    Cross over railroad tracks and the Mill Creek
    Turn left at stop sign just beyond Mill creek (onto Riesenberg.
    After a short block, turn right onto Bernard
    After a long block, turn left at stop sign onto West Street,
    West Street leads into parking area,
    Go left into parking area to southwest corner of parking area to Haffey Gym.

Other directions to Haffey Gym:
    Going south on Reading Road. Go past Cooper Rd, past railroad tracks. Turn right
    unto Pleasant, then right unto West. West Street is before the Glass Barn and Shell station,

Going north on Reading. Go past Galbraith, past Columbia past Shell
    Station on left. Turn left unto Pleasant then right on West.

The gym is located near the Reading High School football stadium and soccer practice fields.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE WILL BE NO BADMINTON ON THIS FRIDAY, MAY 30 2003 DUE TO SCHOOL FUNCTION.

7. preman

preman Regular Member

Places to buy badminton rackets

Samuels Tennisport – 7796 Montgomery by the Kenwood Shopping Plaza – 791-4636. Limited selection of badminton rackets and they are expensive.

Courtside Tennis Showroom – 11613 Reading Road – Sharonville near I-275 – 956-4900.

Louisville Badminton Supplies – Charlie and Bobbie Norton – 270-426-5518. They are in Kentucky.

8. Stephenie

Stephenie Regular Member

Bookkeeper
    Thanks so much for info. Looking forward to playing!!!

9. preman

preman Regular Member

Just a reminder: THERE WILL BE NO BADMINTON ON THIS FRIDAY, MAY 30 2003 DUE TO SCHOOL FUNCTION.

See you on Monday, June 2.

10. kishoreinc

Preman,
    Thank you so much for the detailed info! I truly appreciate it!
    Looks like you are a regular and a pro. I used to play regularly ages ago. Now that I think about it, it's been more than 15 years since I have touched the racket. How many of you generally play?
    I will give the shops you have mentioned a try this weekend.
    Thanks again!

11. preman

preman Regular Member

I'm not a pro or intermediate. I'm in beginner level. There is a lot of stuff I want to learn.

On Monday, we have about 7 - 8 people playing. There is not a lot of people playing on Friday (about 4 - 5 people).

12. Stephenie

Stephenie Regular Member

Bookkeeper
    I placed second in college -but that was over 20 years ago!! I play at lawn parties some now ~although I'm pretty rusty and a lot slower! My husband is balking at being my partner so I hope that I can find a partner if I need one. I'm anxious to find out how good or bad I really am on Monday. Meanwhile, I have to find our rackets or go buy some this weekend- plus some birdies. Thanks for all the info.!!

13. kishoreinc

Stephenie and Preman,
    Today I bought a racket from Courtside sports. They just had one kind. After I came home I found their website has a wide selection. Now I feel I probably should have bought it from their website rather than their shop. There are links to online retailers on badmintoncentral.com which I didn't check either.
    I am looking forward to meeting both of you and others on Monday!

14. Rianna

Rianna New Member

Customer Advocate
    I am rusty as well.

I am really rusty as well..haven't played in 20 years. Used to play all the time
    growing up. Glad to hear that others are not experts, I was worried about that.
    My first night will be Friday, June 20th at the Hatfield location. I hope I can find
    it..it sounds confusing. See you all there!

15. kishoreinc

I found this number on their website in case you lose your way. I am not sure if there will be anyone at that hour to answer it. This number is actually for the pool but it doesn't matter since the gym is right next to the pool.

769-5085

If you are going north on Reading, after crossing Columbia if you reach the railroad track then you have gone too far. Pleasant street is the first street on left after Columbia.

If you are going south on Reading, cross Cooper, cross railroad track and you will find Pleasant street on right. If you reach Columbia then you have gone too far.

16. preman

preman Regular Member

Stephenie & kishoreinc,

did u guys have fun last night?

17. Stephenie

Stephenie Regular Member

Bookkeeper
    I had a ball! It was simply great & I was amazed at how fast I picked up my game since it's been almost 25 years! (although I need more practice I also learned a lot)!!! I hope I can play Friday night again -but I need to get a lighter racket & better padded shoes. My husband enjoyed himself too except we are both nursing sore muscles today. Hopefully, we will play at least 1 night a week from now on and I'm hoping to try & play 2 nights if time permits. Can't wit to play again!!:p

18. preman

preman Regular Member

you can get the racket from Iggy if you like. Otherwise, go to internet and do racket hunting. I saw Iggy showed some Winnex rackets last night. Winnex rackets are good.

19. kishoreinc

It was awesome! I hadn't played in 15 years and it was nice to get back on court. Preman, is this your real name or is it just something that you have created for this forum? I met so many people yesterday that I don't quite recollect hearing this name.

20. preman

preman Regular Member

i was the one partnered with Iggy in a game.