Switching back and forth plastic/feather

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by ddw181, Sep 6, 2011.

1. ddw181

ddw181 Regular Member

I have a huge problem with smashes and clears, one day I can hit them cleanly with nice speed/sound/power, then the next week I can't do it at all. Anyone else have this problem? I play twice a week, once with a coach with feathers, and once with my friends just fooling around with plastic. Could that be the problem? Anyone else is inconsistent like me?

2. Agile_Monkey

Agile_Monkey Regular Member

Student
    I find that Feather shuttles sounds better and feels better.

Are you using the same rackets during that 'one day' to the "next week"? same string type and tension?

if all equipements are the same as that "one day", then the problem lies in you.

cheers

3. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    Which shuttlecock do you have problems with?
    smashes and clears with plastic or with feathers?
    What kind of plastic and feather shuttles are you using? What speed are they?
    Again there are so many variables like for plastic, you have Mavis 500-Mavis 2000 and the three different speeds (green, blue and red band being fastest).

Feathers can be a bit more consistent but the speed and quality can vary a little.

In general, feathers may travel a bit slower, are a bit lighter and will be easier to hit cleanly with a nice sound and power.
    plastics generally are heavier, travel a bit faster (more inertia and less air resistance) and need more power to hit cleanly.

These differences means that the shuttle coming at you and coming down to you will be at different speeds and timing the shot will also be a little different because of the weight difference of the shuttle.
    If you get used to one, playing with the other will throw your timing out.

Because of the different shuttles I always typically used different racquets as well. Higher tension, stiffer and lighter racquets for feather shuttles and lower tension, flex and heavier racquets for plastic shuttles.

Anyway, I always found switching between the two takes a bit of time to get used to.
    If you stick with one, you will find that you will play more consistently.
    I suggest you start to fool around with your friend with feather shuttles as well.
    If you can, use the same model feathers as your training.

4. ddw181

ddw181 Regular Member

Thanks for the replies. To the first poster, yes I use same racket with same tension. And it's also probably mostly my own fault. To the second poster I use mavis 350 when fooling around and these rsl feathers (forgot model number) for training. I can't afford to use feathers when fooling around but tend to bring busted feathers (friends dont like using em). I use the same 28 pound racket, some days I hit really cleanly consistently, and others I cant get it at all. I play twice a week, once with feathers then once with plastics. I most recently had troubles with the feather ones, I posted this cause I got really angry at myself. Just before, I hit everything with a nice sound(feathers), then the next session i hit the plastics well, then the session after that I couldnt hit anything well (feathers).

5. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I recommend trying to get hold of Mavis-2000. It is my experience that Mavis 350 are the WORST mavis shuttles. They are cheap, slow and discontinued in the UK because they were awful. They have a very weird flight path. I find that Mavis 300, 370 and 2000 are all ok, with 2000 the best. I switch between plastics and feathers too. I don't have any problems with either - the technique is the same, and the timing is nearly identical - get well behind the shuttle, then hit your shots by reaching up to full height, you shouldn't have a problem with either one.

A final thought - if you feel you can't hit the shuttle anymore, stop trying to hit so hard. Slow down, use good technique, but SLOWLY, making sure you reach up to the best possible contact spot, and hit cleanly. Prepare early, take the shuttle as soon as you can. If your technique is good, you won't struggle to hit these crisply.

Good luck

Matt

6. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    I'm with the OP on this one. I switch back and forth between feathers and plastics (Mavis 2000), and it is definitely hard to adapt.
    Plastics are generally easier to play with, because they follow a more ball-like trajectory and aren't so influenced by slice/spin. I also find that feathers are more "floaty" for want of a better word - if I've been playing with plastics and switch to feathers, I'll have to consciously aim my short serves about 6 inches below the net tape, or they'll sit up (similar story with net shots).
    And if you switch to feathers having not used them in a long time, it's much, much worse (the main reason I'm using feathers now is that I have a little local tournament coming up, and last year my partner and I completely embarrassed ourselves because we weren't used to the shuttles - went from being very average club players, to not even being able to hit the fricking shuttle for the first 3 matches, lol).

7. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I can concur that timing/power/excution will be missing when switching back and forth.

In my example...I play singles on Thursday night with feathers and various (sometimes singles but mostly mens/mixed doubles with friends & family) on Sunday with plastics Mavis 300.

I'm more in tune with feathers so after a few warm up sessions...I'm good to go. But playing singles with plastics (recently), my hits were not as sharp, net play was crap, clears not long enough, got to position late, short serves were too high, etc. It was a bad experience.

I think it would be easier to play plastics in doubles (than singles) cuz you cover a smaller area and it's more about quickness and not smashes and fancy net play. I find that net play with plastics is just hitting it over cuz it's when doing a slice net drop it is unpredictable. But the females I play with would kill feathers that it would cost a fortune every weekend. So plastics it is.

8. leongwaipak

leongwaipak Regular Member

Accountant
    I know what you mean about certain players killing feathers but that can happen to plastic shuttles as well.
    Some players technique are just so rough against the shuttlecock be it plastic or feather.

Mavis 2000s are the best way to go if you have to go plastic as they last the longest and fly pretty similar to feathers. They are more expensive than Mavis 500 but well worth it, when you consider how much longer it lasts.

Mavis 2000 tend to fray where as the skirt on the Mavis 500 (and lower models) would crack straight down the feather with one mishit.

More importantly, choose the right speed for the shuttles either plastic or feather.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

@leongwaipak: your observations are exactly the same as mine. Esp re te need for different racket spec and string tension. ... Also because plastic is heavier, you have to use more upper arm and shoulder to hit power shots, as opposed to feather which can be easily hit hard with a mere wrist snap pronation.

10. yves.

yves. Regular Member

Student
    Well 28 lbs tension is much to high for playing with plastics in my opinion, this could lead to severe injury because you have to put much more power in. I'd really recommend to stay with feather shuttles and get some budget ones like Yonex Aerosensa 10 or 20, the money saved while playing with plastics really isn't worth it. If you do have to stick with plastic, I'd second the recommendation of Mavis 2000 because they're the best available.

11. ddw181

ddw181 Regular Member

Ok thanks of the advice guys. Also, just so happens the drop in that my friends and I go to is stopping for two weeks, so I won`t be touching plastics for awhile. Curious to see how it turns out.