Playing with the same people good or bad?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by decoy, Sep 7, 2011.

1. decoy

decoy Regular Member

I searched the forums before posting and didn't find anything that seemed quite like my question so I figured I would ask. I play badminton once a week with the same people every time. We're all about intermediate level and I don't win all my games but they are very close when I do lose. I am wondering if there is any significant advantage to playing different players since I want to improve. Please reply :D

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it depends a lot on you. do you playcompetitively even when u always play the same people? do you find yourself trying to improve in order to win games?or do you instead find yourself more and more relaxed and find it boring to be playing the same people?

3. decoy

decoy Regular Member

I do play competitively with them (they are my competition for the school team spots) but I feel that I might be just predicting their shots too much (I think I just answered my own question witht that last statement though haha). Thanks for the help kwun

4. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    If you're serious with your improvement, I'd suggest you try to play with a wide variety of players. Different players are familiar with different tactics, and have different strength and weakness. Record your games, and analyze them afterward on how you earn point and how you lose point from each of your opponent. That's one way you can enrich your playing skills.

Even players with seemingly weaker levels would be good opponents, as you can work on your own consistency.

5. Rykard

Rykard Regular Member

if yuo find yourself able to predict their shots, you should be beating them quite easily. As said above analyse why you are losing, tactics, fitness etc... then work on your weaknesses so you can exploit your opponents weaknesses

6. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

it depends
    if u feel that u have reached a level which u cant improve further n wishes to improve more... u can consider to play with new opponents.

its the same in professional player.. they go n expose themselves to new opponents and new competition level to learn...

but of course for social and leisure playing.... u can stick to yr own group.... for more bonding purposes...

7. addicted

addicted Regular Member

I think it will be more beneficial for you to play a range of different players. When you play the same people, even if you try to play competitively to win, they will probably always have the same defence and attacking style, just like you would. But different players play differently and you travel farther in your improvement by learning to defend yourself against different tactics.

8. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Thanks a lot for the advice I think i will have to try that recording idea

9. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

variety is the best, if you'd never play against a lefty then you'll lose easy points come the day that you do.

you'll even appreciate some of the mistakes even LCW does when he plays Lin Dan :p

on the flip side, playing with the same poeple means you get play every week :D