Men Doubles Players (Elite and Back-up)

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by undeadshot, Sep 9, 2011.

1. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Since there doesn't seem to be a thread, maybe its time to create one for them :)

Hoon Thien How (has his own thread)
    Goh Wei Shem/Lim Khim Wah - 22, 22
    Ow Yao Han/Tan Wee Kiong - 19, 22
    Mak Hee Chun/Ong Soon Hock - 21, 26
    Vountus Indra Mawan/Mohd Lutfi Zaim - 22, 22

Chooi Kah Ming
    Teo Kok Siang
    Chan Peng Soon
    Ong Jien Guo

2. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    Wednesday September 14, 2011
    The Star
    Kim Her not afraid to tackle daunting challenges in new role

PETALING JAYA: Tan Kim Her is prepared to face the daunting challenge of his new role as the men’s doubles head coach.
    And yesterday, he did not waste anytime by making his first big decision to pair up Hoon Thien How with Tan Wee Kiong as one of his five main pairs in the team.
    The others are Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, Ong Soon Hock-Mak Hee Chun, Goh V Shem-Lim Khim Wah and Vountus Indra Mawan-Mohd Lutfi Zaim Abdul Khalid.
    “I do not intend to break up these partnerships. They will remain together for some time to prove their worth,” said Kim Her.
    Kim Her was formerly in charge of the men’s doubles back-up squad but has now been tasked with overseeing all the men’s doubles pairs in the national team following a massive reshuffle by the BA of Malaysia (BAM) recently.
    And Kim Her believes that his past experience as well as coaching stints in South Korea and England will stand him in good stead for the challenges ahead.
    “I have faced many challenges as a coach over the years. Trying to overcome the language barrier while coaching in South Korea and England was one of them. I believe I am ready to take on the pressure of this new role,” said Kim Her.
    “BAM have given me a huge responsibility and I just have to do it to the best of my ability.
    “However, it is not a one-man show here in the national set-up and, most importantly, there needs to be good understanding and trust between the coaches and the players.”
    His main priority now as the men’s doubles supremo will be to sort out the performance of top pair Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong and to guide them to glory in the London Olympics next year.
    “Without a doubt, the main short-term objective now is to help Kien Keat-Boon Heong improve on their performance for the Olympics, which is just 10 months away,” said Kim Her.
    “They actually have what it takes to become a top pair once again but I believe the problem they face now is their confidence, in particular Kien Keat.”
    Kim Her also said that he planned to bring up a second doubles pair good enough to challenge for honours on the world stage.
    Malaysia have been sorely lacking a strong second doubles pair for a long time and have been over-reliant on Kien Keat-Boon Heong most of the time.
    “Just having Kien Keat-Boon Heong is not good enough ... we need another pair or two to take up the challenge,” said Kim Her.
    “Lim Khim Wah-Goh V Shem are in a good position following a string of good results lately and could be ranked within the top 40 by the end of this month.”
    “With a few more good runs, the prospect of pushing for an Olympic spot will be possible. But we need to be patient.”

3. danielwong

Salesman
    Thursday September 15, 2011
    The Star
    Kim Her has no plans to break up existing pairs

PETALING JAYA: Men’s doubles head coach Tan Kim Her plans to bring up a second men’s doubles combination to complement top pair Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong.
    And to achieve that, he has decided not to tinker with the combinations.
    Besides Kien Keat-Boon Heong, the other established pairs in the squad are Lim Khim Wah-Goh V Shem and Vountus Indra Mawan-Mohd Lufti Zaim.
    Khim Wah-V Shem are No. 47 in the world while Vountus-Lufti are No. 59.
    Kim Her, who announced that he would pair up Hoon Thien How with Tan Wee Kiong earlier this week, will also retain the combination of Mak Hee Chun-Ong Soon Hock following their good showing in the Vietnam and Taiwan Opens recently.
    “Thien How-Wee Kiong will be a permanent partnership ... I do not want to break up the pairs anymore. Too much tinkering will only destroy their confidence and understanding,” said Kim Her.
    “I do not expect them to qualify for the London Olympics next year because they have not even played in a competition.
    “However, I believe they have the potential to step up and become the number two doubles pair in the country.
    “I will send them to the Denmark, France and German Opens next month. Hopefully, they’ll be able to cause some upsets.”
    Kim Her was also full of praise for the 26-year-old Soon Hock, whose game has improved as he takes on the role of a mentor to the younger Hee Chun.
    “I’m very happy with Soon Hock for guiding and teaching Hee Chun,” said Kim Her.
    “Hee Chun is still young and has much to learn but he can definitely improve by partnering Soon Hock.
    “Soon Hock is also teaching him how to play more tactically and I have high hopes for them.”

# undeadshot, i LOLed when i see this report, the 2 players you dont really fancy, Ah How and OSH is getting high
    review from TKH, and they will partnered your fav players TWK and MHC permenantly.....and OSH is guiding MHC??
    LOL

4. undeadshot

Thanks for posting the news here, daniel :)

So the pairs are

Goh Wei Shem/Lim Khim Wah
    Hoon Thien How/Tan Wee Kiong
    Ong Soon Hock/Mak Hee Chun
    Vountus Indra Mawan/Mohd Lutfi Zaim

Chan Peng Soon and Ong Jien Guo to fill in any missing spaces I guess.

Chooi Kah Ming and Teo Kok Siang are out for the moment.

5. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Both are still nursing injury, right ??

6. undeadshot

Yup, but I dunno why they out for so long, especially Teo Kok Siang...

7. danielwong

Salesman
    Friday September 16, 2011
    Soon Hock aims to take new partnership to greater heights
    The Star

By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: A new partner, a new mission and a chance to play in the Indonesia SEA Games next month.
    These are the factors that have put the drive back into shuttler Ong Soon Hock as he strives to put his past failures behind and move forward and come good.

Just a month ago, the 26-year-old Soon Hock was on the verge of quitting the game after his partner, Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari, told him of his desire to leave the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) set-up.
    Then, his decision to partner with youngster Mak Hee Chun in the Vietnam Open last month changed everything.
    The duo upset top seeds Hirokatsu Hashimoto-Noriyasu Hiarata of Japan en route to reaching the semi-finals.

Now, a refreshed Soon Hock is determined to guide Hee Chun to win a medal in his debut at the SEA Games.
    “I thought of leaving BAM as I felt like I was at the tailend of my career. There was no motivation and nothing to look forward too – especially when I found out about Fairuzizuan’s plan to leave,” said Soon Hock.
    “But all the negative feeling and uncertainty changed after Mak and I beat the Japanese pair at the Vietnam Open. That was the same pair Fairuzizuan and I lost to in the Malaysian Open in January. This breakthrough boosted my self-confidence. I felt young, good and more motivated to prove myself again
    “And when the coaches decided to team me up with Mak for good, I decided to give it another try.”
    Soon Hock-Hee Chun’s main targets are to make the team for next year’s Thomas Cup Finals and improve on their world rankings during the on-going one-year Olympic qualifying period.
    With doubles chief coach Tan Kim Her dropping Hoon Thien How from the SEA Games squad yesterday, Soon Hock-Hee Chun and Lim Khim Wah-Goh V Shem have confirmed their places in the men’s doubles individual event.
    Soon Hock is now one of the most senior shuttlers in the men’s doubles team together with Koo Kien Keat following the departures of Faurizuzian and Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif.
    And he hopes to use all the experience he has gained from his 11 years of playing to lead Hee Chun to greater heights.
    “Mak is young and needs guidance. As a senior, I am able to do that. He is as committed as I am. We believe in each other and, with good communication, we can take this partnership to greater heights,” said Soon Hock.
    “We have been selected for the SEA Games. This will be my first SEA Games in 11 years with BAM. My goal is to win a medal for the country.”
    Soon Hock said that his marriage to former national gymnast Yap Yee Yin in February had also made him a more mature and responsible person.
    “Marriage has taught me to be more responsible. As a player, I used to hang out after training and used to get up late for training. Now, I am more disciplined and committed. I am also able to manage my time better,” he said.
    “I have not done too well in the past because of my own doings.
    “Now, everything has changed. I am clear about the direction that I want to go and the work that I need to put in to achieve good results. I even feel good going for training now.

# eagle, OSH learnt from his mistakes and willing to change for better, give him chance lar....:D:D

8. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Wow what a BIG yet bold title.. Hope the players themself feels the HEAT from daniel...

9. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

He partner Ah Mak, the wearing earing one, so, you support who? One half of the partnership?:p:p
    Wait, your fav Ah how mah

10. undeadshot

Looks like OSH willing to change ... :)

11. danielwong

Salesman
    i support all MAS players...but Ah How got special place....if OSH/MHC can achieve good results why not??

12. undeadshot

Goh Wei Shem/Lim Khim Wah have beaten Kim Ki Jung/Shin Baek Cheol for the second time in a row to progress to the second round in the Japan Open.

Are they ready to start challenging the big guns? We will know when they take on Chai Biao/Guo Zhendong in the second round of the Japan Open tomorrow. We shall see how our second MD stands against China's second MD. It would be good if they can take a game off them, showing that they are starting to trouble some of the current second-third pairs.

13. undeadshot

Goh Wei Shem/Lim Khim Wah defeats Chai Biao/Guo Zhendong 19-21; 21-19; 21-19:eek::eek::eek:

They will be up against KKK/TBH tomorrow. Hopefully they aren't too tired to take out their compatriots to make their first semi-final, although I do doubt that they will win because KKK/TBH are so familiar with their game.

14. soulpx

soulpx Regular Member

Trader
    now its proven our 2nd md are more good than china's.

15. undeadshot

Haha, I wouldn't say better, I think that the match could have gone either way, it's more like 50-50 today. Luckily they prevailed.

16. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    NCC and Gangs will think like this too besides you.

17. soulpx

soulpx Regular Member

Trader
    if only lim didnt make too may mistakes, they would lead the game many many points.

other than trolling, whats ur contribution ?

18. Dato A

Dato A Regular Member

GENERAL MANAGER
    What's yours?

19. undeadshot

Mistakes are part of their game that they have to improve on. We cannot say that they would have won in 2 games if they didn't make mistakes, because it happens every game.

These youngsters still have a long way to go. I just hope that they can stay consistent for the meantime and not be another MHC/TWK, nothing to show after beating Ko/Yoo :(

20. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Lim could be the next KKK! The ratio he shouted is certainly harder and louder than his smash!