Roger Federer and Lee Chong Wei: Choke Club 2011

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by V1lau, Sep 10, 2011.

1. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    Just finishing watching Djokovic's amazing comeback after being down 2 match point on Fed's serve... Incredible!!! Totally reminded me of Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei at this year World Championship when Lee also had 2 match points and choked big time. :D

Begin hate responses now :D

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    You forgot this guy?

41794_317799411870_7242432_n.jpg

3. MilGauss

MilGauss Regular Member

So did Serena Williams choke to Sam Stosur?

No, she didn't. She was outplayed.

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    plus bad attitude as well. the tv capture how she curses the umpire. that's just so sad to hear.

5. MilGauss

MilGauss Regular Member

'We're in America!': Williams loses her cool - and the US Open

Sydney Morning Herald

Craig Dixon September 12, 2011 - 10:02AM

Volatile Serena Williams's ugly US Open meltdown threatened to overshadow Sam Stosur's brilliantly composed straight-sets win as the Australian celebrated her first grand-slam victory in New York today.

The Williams tirade - her second in a losing US Open match - provoked a flood of comment on social media, with accusations of unsporting behaviour.

The match took a heated turn at the end of the opening game of the second set when Williams, already a set down, called out "c'mon" as Stosur lunged for a shot on the baseline.

Chair umpire Eva Asdaraki penalised the three-time US Open champion under the intentional-hindrance rule, prompting an angry response from the American.

"Aren't you the one who screwed me over last time?," said Williams, apparently confusing Ms Asdaraki with another umpire. "That is totally not cool."

Her tirade, clearly picked up by courtside microphones, continued during the break, with a seated Williams firing verbal volleys at the umpire.

"If you ever see me walking down the hall, look the other way," Williams said. "Because you're out of control, you're out of control.

You're not only out of control, you're a hater, and you're just unattractive inside.

Who would do such a thing? And I never complain.

Wow! "A code violation because I expressed who I am? We're in America right now!"

Then she said to a ballgirl: "Can I get a water?" And again, at Ms Asdaraki: "What, am I going to get violated for a water? Don't even look at me! I promise you, don't look at me, 'cause I am not a [inaudible]. Don't. Look. My. Way."

A veteran umpire, the Greek Ms Asderaki, was officiating at her first grand slam final.

Williams was involved in a furious US Open outburst in her 2009 semi-final defeat to Kim Clijsters.

She abused a lineswoman during the tense match and a penalty point sealed her fate in a 6-4, 7-5 defeat.

Twitter and Facebook were alive with comment in the wake of today's confrontation:

"You epitomise a bad sport," wrote Jackatko on Twitter.

"You seriously need to learn how to take a beating, your sportsmanship is absolutely pathetic," wrote Moorey 21.

On the thread #thingsthatshouldbebanned, Michael Gibson wrote: "I would say @serenawilliams for her lack of respect to the umpire today."

#5 MilGauss, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    what a disgrace.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Betcha it's the 'roids she's on.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    don't they test for those stuff, doc?

9. visor

visor Regular Member

I don't think they're as strict in their methods as say Olympics, so it is possible to escape detection. But eventually they'll nab them. Compare to Ben Johnson and Marion Jones, Serena's musculature is rather suspicious, IMO. Seriously, she must know that she's on live tv, so to lose control like that twice in the past 2 yrs, roid rage is what I see.

#9 visor, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  10. addicted

addicted Regular Member

My God, she has lost it big time. I hadn't seen any breakdowns of hers, if she ever had them, but she does give me the impression of a person who'd have a massive rage tirade after losing.

11. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Another one, Tony Romo and the Cowboys.

12. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

The argument with umpire in tennis is getting so ugly - Serena, Andy Roddick, ... and earlier John McEnroe, Jimmy Conners, .... They should start having "Technical Foul" like basketball - no argue with the umpire - first time 1 small point, 1 point, 1 set, out ....

13. MilGauss

MilGauss Regular Member

Serena is not done with the umpire yet, she will gladly play Novak or Rafa and fire some more verbal volleys and some wicked serves at the umpire in the Men's Final.:D

Just kidding.:)

She said in the post-match interview that she zoned-out (the kind of thing that happens in the heat of the moment) and that she doesn't remember what she said and probably might check it on Youtube.;)

Novak over Rafa! ...in straight sets, maybe four sets or until the wheels fall off.

#13 MilGauss, Sep 12, 2011
  14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    damage control. ;)

15. MilGauss

MilGauss Regular Member

She's not the all apologies type.

16. MilGauss

MilGauss Regular Member

She cares for her Name Recognition Rating which is tops amongst women's athletes and the highest for tennis @130+, topping even the highest rated men's player which is Roger Federer @ the high 50s. Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan if I remember correctly hovers @200 and upwards.

#16 MilGauss, Sep 12, 2011
  17. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

18. MilGauss

MilGauss Regular Member

The USTA did not to impart harsher punishment in order for her to be able to avenge her defeat when she goes to Australia in January 2012 (preferably in the final of the Aussie Open against no other than Sam Stosur;)).:eek:

19. MilGauss

MilGauss Regular Member

Btw, neither Novak nor Rafa choke. The better player emerge victorious, which can only be good for the sport.

20. MilGauss

MilGauss Regular Member

Contrary to the tile of this thread...Federer was just in a slump and finished strongly and capped it with a World Tour Finals! Not exactly in the choke category.

Novak had a tremendous year for sure!

Rafa will always own the French!

However, records aside (which he owns), Roger Federer is absolutely good for the sport of tennis and for sports overall!