David Choong

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by chris-ccc, Sep 10, 2011.

1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    So sad to read the news that former MAS Badminton great David Choong dies;

http://www.thesundaily.my/news/138820

====== * ====== part of article ====== * ======

GEORGE TOWN (Sept 10, 2011): Malaysian badminton has lost another of its illustious shuttlers with the passing away of former All-England doubles badminton champion Datuk David Choong Ewe Leong.

David, 82, died at his Tanjong Tokong home here at 6.30am and leaves behind a wife, three sons and a daughter.

David and his partner Datuk Eddy Choong, who was his younger brother, clinched the All-England men's doubles titles three consecutive years, from 1951 to 1953.

According to Eddy, David suffered a stroke 15 years back but managed to recover a few years later.

He said David had been in coma the last nine years after he suffered a second stroke.

"We were extremely close since he was my partner in badminton and we trained together. We were also in England together for 10 years," he told Bernama when contacted here today.

He said his brother's death was a big loss, not only to the family, but to the country as a whole.

David also shared the All-England mixed doubles crown with June White Timperly in 1953.

...... ......

David's wake will be held at his house in Pantai Molek here. – Bernama

David Choong was inducted into the BWF Badminton Hall of Fame in 1998.

2. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

R.i.p............

3. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Another tribute to David Choong

Another tribute to David Choong;

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/9/11/nation/9469604&sec=nation

Sunday September 11, 2011
    By FONG KEE SOON

GEORGE TOWN: Three-time All-England doubles champion and former politician Datuk David Choong Ewe Leong died in his home in Jalan Pantai Molek off Jalan Tanjung Tokong here.

He was 82.

His brother Datuk Eddy Choong, 81, whom he partnered to win consecutive badminton titles from 1951, said David died at 6.30am yesterday after being in a coma for nine years following a stroke.

“The whole family is saddened by his death, but we have to accept it as God's will,” Eddy said.

“We went through many hardships in life, such as the Japanese occupation. My brother was an intelligent person.

“Even in badminton, he was the brains while I was the brawn.”

Eddy recalled the pain each time he visited his brother in recent years. “It really hurt that he could not recognise me.”

David leaves behind three sons and a daughter.

The funeral is expected to take place in Pulau Tikus at 2pm tomorrow.

David also shared the All-England mixed doubles crown with June White Timperly in 1953. He was inducted into the International Badminton Hall of Fame in 1998.

The former Penang Free School student, who read law at Trinity College in Cambridge University, returned to Malaysia after Merdeka and joined MCA.

He was the party's former Penang Youth chief.

David was also a former state executive councillor having won the seat in the 1961 Penang City Council elections on an MCA ticket.

4. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
    RESPECT and R.I.P.

5. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Farewell to badminton legend

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2011/9/13/sports/9484317&sec=sports

Tuesday September 13, 2011

GEORGE TOWN: Some 50 close friends, relatives and church-goers gathered at the Mount Erskine crematorium near here to bid farewell to badminton legend Datuk David Choong.

Tears swelled when the casket was lowered into the incinerator at about 3.30pm.

Family members, relatives and friends had followed the cortege from his home in Tanjung Tokong to the Church of the Immaculate Conception in Pulau Tikus.

They were joined by 150 others at the church during a 45-minute funeral service.

David, 82, a three-time All-England doubles champion with his younger brother Datuk Eddy, died at his home on Saturday after being in a coma for nine years following a stroke.

Also present were state MCA leaders, including Penang MCA deputy chairman Datuk Dr Loh Hock Hun.

David leaves behind three sons and a daughter.

Besides the men’s doubles titles, he also shared the All-England mixed doubles crown with June White Timperly in 1953.

He was inducted into the International Badminton Hall of Fame in 1998.

6. victory

victory Regular Member

Respect and Rest In Piece sir!

7. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

rip david...