How much can a racket distort if I string with a 2-point machine?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by inzaniak, Sep 12, 2011.

1. inzaniak

inzaniak New Member

student
    Hello there.
    I just inherited a really old stringing machine.
    It has a 2-point mounting system and an electric or electronic tensioner (I never did learn the exact difference on that).
    Now I have some experience stringing rackets but both of the machines I've used so far were 6-point cranks.
    As I started stringing my voltric70 I noticed that the sides of the frame (middle of the crosses) started moving apart. I did expect this but when I had only put tension on 14 strings, 7 on each side, the gap had widened by half a centimeter and that is when I lost my nerve.

So my question is if it's normal for the gap to widen so much? How much do they generally widen when doing the mains?
    I was only stringing at 9kg or 20 lbs and maybe 0.5 cm is nothing but it's a new racket so of course I am nervous :)
    Any and all help would be greatly appreciated and I hope I did not leave out any important information.

2. bsmith

bsmith Regular Member

Engineering software developer www.elitesoft.com
    #2 bsmith, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  3. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

If you're worried about 3/9 spreading you can buy (or make) a tool that goes across the racket and keeps the original width. I wish I could find it (maybe another member knows where it is) but there's a picture of a guy holding up a racket - outside a machine - that only has mains in with this black bar across the middle.

4. inzaniak

inzaniak New Member

student
    thanks to both of you guys. I´l try both advice's as soon as I can