Shaft flexibility / stiffness

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by sharizulhedy, Sep 12, 2011.

1. sharizulhedy

sharizulhedy Regular Member

Operation Manager
    Dear BC Forumer,

I was wondering, can flexible or stiff shaft causes injury? I've read somewhere that the choice of the flexibility is based on your swing style. "If short explosive swing should go for stiff shaft". What if short swing go for flexible shaft or vice versa? Anyone care to explain. Thanks in advance..

2. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    if you have short and explosive swing, flexible shaft might not suitable for you, why?
    because flexible shaft need time to flex first, therefore when you tried to swing it fast and short, the shaft cannot react in time to transfer the energy

what happen if you choose flexible shaft if you have short and explosive swing?
    most likely miss hit, and your shot feels lack of power

same the opposite, if you have slow and long swing, stiff shaft might not be favourable for you
    why?
    because you cannot bend the shaft

so, choose the one you like, usually, when you have better technique, stamina and muscle, you will develop stronger, accurate and more explosive swing (which is why many professionals using stiff shaft)

if you are using a stiff racket but you cannot bend it, usually it would be a sore on your arm and shoulder, but there is a chance you will get an injury

3. sharizulhedy

sharizulhedy Regular Member

Operation Manager
    thanks alextan and avenger.. i understand now.. should make a very important role in choosing a new racket..

4. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

also stiff shaft = more tired too :p