Poor stringing job

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by thaisilk, Sep 13, 2011.

1. thaisilk

thaisilk Regular Member

Restaurang owner
    Is this because of bad stringing job? 3 breakage within 3 weeks. Use BG66UM 21 vertical and 23 horizontal. IMG_1759.jpg IMG_1762.jpg IMG_1764.jpg

2. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Were all rackets broken shortly (let's say a week or two) after stringing them ?
    If so, then most definitely it's because of the stringing job.

If not, well I'd still say it's the stringing job (3 breakage in 3 weeks at the exact same spot doesn't sound like a coincidence to me), but there could be some other factors. If you regularly hit your frame at that spot, I could see it happen, even though it'd be almost unbelievable. If you throw your rackets to the wall regularly or clash with your partners the same way every week then you already know why :p

Since the stringing isn't done at a high tension, I'd be curious to know how they could break from a bad stringing job. It probably would have to be some major misplacement of the racket supports on the machine. I'm curious to hear what other people think about this!

#2 yan.v, Sep 14, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  3. alanwong76

alanwong76 Regular Member

Interior Deco
    sorry to see that.. it is very terrible...

4. ah.b|ack

ah.b|ack Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    omg... VT80 + Zslash + (IdontKnowWhat...)... Please accept my condolence... I'm really feel sorry for you... Did the stringer say anything about it?

5. thaisilk

thaisilk Regular Member

Restaurang owner
    I have a meeting with one person from the Swedish Yonex and he first also think it is bad stringing job. He looked at the stringing machine and say it is a very good machine and the tension is low, so he don´t understand why the breaks.

He was so nice, he will replace me an arcsaber 10 and z-slash. Not the voltric 80 because I bought it in Thailand.

Would like to see what you other thinks.

Thank you Yan

6. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    I'm also really sorry to see that dude. The Arc 10 and Z are amongst my favourite rackets. I have to agree with what yan.v says - three breakages in the exact same location within a matter of weeks is not a coincidence. It's even more worrying since they were strung at a low tension. Did you string them yourself or did someone else do it for you? Also, did they break during the stringing process of during play? Judging from the photos I suspect it might be due to improper mounting. The three fractures appear on the location where the top support goes. I could be wrong. There are a lot of other guys on this forum (Mark A and Dink etc) who have a lot more knowledge and experience than myself. If you had them strung by someone else then I would stop using their services.

Keep us updated.

allyjack110

7. thaisilk

thaisilk Regular Member

Restaurang owner
    VT80+Zslash and Arcsaber10
    Don´t need to be sorry, Yonex will give a new AR10 and Zslash. Sometimes it is good to break racket, then I can buy new one :), already order VT60

8. thaisilk

thaisilk Regular Member

Restaurang owner
    It not only 3 breakages, for 5 month ago my first racket Nanospeed 6600 breaks the same place. I´m a beginner so I can´t string. Sorry for my bad english but I do not understand what improper mounting means

9. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    Don't worry about your English, it's fine. I'm Scottish and I still struggle with it. :) Improper mounting: the stringer has not secured the racket correctly to his machine. Please find somebody else to string your rackets because you are loosing a lot of money. The 6600 is another expensive and very good racket. Where did you buy your rackets from?

10. thaisilk

thaisilk Regular Member

Restaurang owner
    The Yonex guy think the stringer had secured the rackets to hard at 6 and 12 o´clock.

I live in a small town in Sweden and there are no shop buying high end YY racket. I have bought VT70, VT80, AS7 and AT600 in Thailand. AS10, Zslash and NS6600 I have bought in Swedish internet shop. The last one, VT60, I have bought from Directsports because VT60 is not available yet in Sweden.

I love badminton and play 3 times/week and each time play 3-4 hours. I´m a beginner, have play for only 1 year. Buying rackets and testing them are as fun as playing badminton. I´m a Yonex fan, rackets, shoes, strings, bags, shirts, shorts, tracksuits, socks, graps, towels, wristbands, headbands, bottles.............I´m looking like a living Yonex sandwich-man :).

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    The photos all show one form of high-noon disease or another. Very unfortunate indeed.

12. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    Shoot, it looks like typical overstretch of the 12 and 6 o'clock when it was mounted during stringing. Let me guess, did the frame crack when a string broke? Either it was a main string or a high cross correct?

#12 Optiblue, Sep 14, 2011
  13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    so what's the proper way to prevent high noon disease?

14. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Use a reputable stringer, preferably a Yonex dealer, at that least that way you have some chance of getting replacement. This definately looks like its caused by the stringer unless there's something you aren't telling us. And 3 rackets in same place is too much coincidence

15. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    A) what dlp said and get a good stringer
    B) don't stretch the 12 and 6 o'clock mounts too much

16. thaisilk

thaisilk Regular Member

Restaurang owner
    I also have a Nanospeed 6600 breakes the same place several month ago. You have right, everyone except zslash crack when a string broke.

17. thaisilk

thaisilk Regular Member

Restaurang owner
    Not 3, also have a Nanospeed 6600 crack the same spot and same stringer

QUOTE=dlp;1753773]Use a reputable stringer, preferably a Yonex dealer, at that least that way you have some chance of getting replacement. This definately looks like its caused by the stringer unless there's something you aren't telling us. And 3 rackets in same place is too much coincidence[/QUOTE]

#17 thaisilk, Sep 14, 2011
  18. Sevex

Sevex Regular Member

Academia, CFD/ wind engineering
    If the stringer has a stringing machine which supports the sides of the racket from the outside then it is highly possible that all the supports are being done up to tight. They should only be done up to support the racket and you shouldn't see the frame change shape as they are tightened.

The other alternative is the stringer is doing something weird with string tensions, like adding way too much tension on the cross strings. Personally I add +2lbs on the cross strings and my rackets come out the same shape and length as an unstrung racket. Dinkalot and a few others no longer add the extra tension on the crosses and still have the racket come out fine. If your stringer is adding a lot more on the cross strings then it will cause the racket head to become very narrow, then if a main string snaps it becomes even narrower causing the break at the top.

An easy way to check this is to measure the racket length with no string on and after stringing, they should be the same (give or take say 3mm). If it is too long or short then the stringer is doing something wrong. I think most badminton rackets are 680mm in length.

Finally is it possible for you to post a picture of a strung racket so we can see what shape it is when strung?

19. thaisilk

thaisilk Regular Member

Restaurang owner
    He has a Babolat machine with 4 supports from outside (2, 5, 7 and 11 o´clock) and 2 supports inside (6 and 12 o´clock). I sure he only add +2lbs on the cross. Next time I will check the frame size.

20. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

My first thought was high-noon disease, I must admit. Loadspreaders needed, methinks...