Ashaway Superlight 99SQ

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Sketchy, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    Just wondering if anyone has tried it yet?
    It appears to be a successor to the old Superlight 79SQ, which I've seen a lot of people rated very highly.

From Ashaway:

New for 2011/12

The first Superlight racket to be constructed from Nano Carbon which adds strength to the superlight construction. Slim and versatile the Superlight 99SQ is easy to manoeuver and offers quick acceleration through the shuttle. It is light and quick to respond in defence or attack making it perfectly suited to the doubles player.

Frame : High Modulus Graphite with Nano Carbon
    Shaft : High Modulus Graphite with Nano Carbon
    Weight : 78g
    Recommended Stringing Tension - Main - 20lbs to 25 lbs Cross - 20lbs to 25 lbs
    Flex : Medium/ Stiff
    Balance : Mid/ Towards Head
    String: ZyMax 70
    Good for Control, Defence & quick to respond in attack. The perfect racket for doubles play.

slp99sq.jpg

RRP £89.99
    (cheapest price I've seen so far is £70 incl. p&p, from centralsports.co.uk)

2. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    Sketchy,

£70 seems to be the cheapest price out there. Central Sports tend to offer 'free' upgrades as well, although I think they only do that with Yonex rackets. I'm not too sure. Like you, I really like the look of this racket, although I'm torn between the new T5 Superlight. I'm a real big fan of Ashaway rackets. I currently play with the Viper XT900. I think their build quality is top-notch. I already own 3 but I hope to add a fourth soon enough. I've only ever held the 99SQ but it felt and looked awesome. It's definetely head-heavy, which I like. Considering that it is a brand new model I think 70 quid is not too bad. Unlike the T5 and 79 there does not appear to be an oval version. Shame

3. allyjack110

The place were I play (Cockburn Centre, Glasgow) has its own racket shop and stringing service etc. They stock a lot of Ashaway rackets. Having had another little look and feel of the 99SQ and I'm really tempted to make that as my next racket purchase. According to Goode Sport it weighs around 78g. However, I'm not sure if that weight is with or without the string and grip. I play with the Ashaway Viper XT900, which weighs around 85g, and I couldn't feel that much of a difference between the two. Having said that, I would probably have to play with it first before I could make a better assessment. It's certainly a beautiful looking racket!!! Max tension is 25lbs, which is good for me, as my prefered tension is 25.

ashaway_superlight_99_sq_badminton_racket.jpg

4. r1z1a

r1z1a Regular Member

if you have any more info on this would be great :D

im really interested in this racket as my next buy (would prefer it to be a normal headshape tho)

5. allyjack110

http://ashaway.co.uk/index.php?category=12&page=detail&pid=203

What do you mean when you say 'normal', oval or iso? Unlike the 79 and T5, the 99 is only available in isometric form. I haven't had the pleasure of playing with the 99 yet, but I was thoroughly impressed when I held it in the store. As you would expect with Ashaway, the build quality is excellent; I love the gold finish. I own 5 rackets and all of them are made by Ashaway. The cheapest price I have seen so far is around £70.00 online ($85 Eur). It only comes supplied with the smaller G2 size handle. As far as I am aware, all Ashaway rackets designated for the UK come supplied with the smaller 'G2' handle, which is partly why I like Ashaway rackets.

You might want to consider Tennisnuts. They are a very good online retailer, and ship to mainland Europe. Alternatively, you might want to contact Goode Sports directly. They might offer you a deal if you buy more than one.

6. Andy05

Andy05 Regular Member

Badminton Geek
    Ashaway give weight without string, it's 83g when strung at factory tension.
    *edit* As a general rule of thumb add 4-5g to any of the manufacturers weights to add the string weight on.

#6 Andy05, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  7. DavidJL

DavidJL Regular Member

I've given in to temptation and a new 99SQ is being delivered to me today. I'm currently using an XT1000 so will be interesting to compare the two. Shame I have to wait until the weekend before I get on a court.

8. r1z1a

r1z1a Regular Member

I am still really tempted to order myself one, but the postage to Switzerland is 50 quid so its bit too much, even if i buy 2 rackets and few other things its still like 1/4 of the order is the postage...

Maybe ill get them next time i go back to uk for a visit but that wont be anytime soon =/

9. DavidJL

DavidJL Regular Member

Shame about the postage costs - have you checked elsewhere?
    I can beat the price quoted above but as you say it just isn't worth it when so much of the cost goes on the delivery. If I knew someone who was heading to Switzerland then we would be sorted!

10. r1z1a

r1z1a Regular Member

Its all comparable in a way as price variation is so high the postage might still be getting it cheaper, just matter of say getting them to post it to here.

As an example the cheapest iv found YY Z-Slash in Switzerland is 240CHF = 168GBP

I have seen it in UK stores for like 150-160... even 160 with the heafty 20% vat becomes
    about 20-30 pounds cheaper than buying one here..

I think my parents will be going to UK for a wedding, i just hope they stay for few days and not a one day thing, and hopefully meet up with some one they know who i can order the things to, not sure i could order it in their name to a hotel can i....?? lol be funny if the hotel was fine with it.

Otherwise ill wait and just buy 2 or 3 of them in one go.

11. DavidJL

DavidJL Regular Member

Yep, would be unusual to have racquets delivered to a hotel!!
    If the wedding is close to Edinburgh I could help with racquets. Just unwrapped the 99SQ but can't really do much with it in the house! Roll on the weekend.....

12. r1z1a

r1z1a Regular Member

ahaha yeah ironically they will be somewhere in middle of nowhere betwean Edinburgh and Glasgow.

But i think im going to try get some one who is going to the wedding to get the order cos everyone will stay in same hotel and it will be less hassle to bring it for a person who is already going there.
    But cheers anyways nice to know that there is still nice people out there that are willing to help you out :D

13. DavidJL

DavidJL Regular Member

I'm between Edinburgh and Glasgow (although towards the Edinburgh side) so maybe nearer the time drop me a PM on here and I'll see if I can help. I have my 99SQ now but all I could do was give it a few swings in the house last night - have to say that it feels great, much lighter than the XT1000 - can't wait to get on the court with it and see what it can do.

14. r1z1a

r1z1a Regular Member

Ahh ok well when you tested it out if you have time, it would be nice to know what it feels like. I will probably get it when i next have a chance or just man up and order it here :D

15. DavidJL

DavidJL Regular Member

99SQ - opinion.

It's been a long time since I pulled the plastic wrap off a new racquet, went on court and knew after the first few shots that the feel was just perfect for me.

The racquet feels extremely light and Ashaway state on it that the weight is 78 - 82grams so they aren't hiding from the weight that the racquet is when strung.
    The lightness allows you to defend so easily but the one thing that stands out with this racquet is the power it generates on the attack.

A friend who plays with an Arc7 managed to steal it from me (for a short while) and the first comment he gave was that he could feel the power that the racquet delivered. Have to admit that I agree.

I am very much in two minds between the XT1000 and the 99SQ and I do prefer to have two racquets matched so if I was pushed to make a choice, which I will do shortly, then it is the 99SQ for me simply due to the weight.
    I know that everyone has different preferences for their racquets but it will take something special to tempt me away from this one.

16. allyjack110

@DavidJL,

I really like the Superlight 99SQ aswell. I've haven't yet had the opportunity to play with one but I have seen and held one in the flesh. Your right though, it is incredibly light. I would imagine it would be excellent for doubles, however, I'm not so sure about singles - it might be a bit too light. I have several Ashaway Nano Rallys, which shares a similar spec with the Superlight 79 oval that I use mostly for my doubles play. For my singles I prefer to use my Viper XT900s. How do you find the XT1000; is your shoulder still intact? I find the XT900 incredibly stiff in spite of its 'medium' stiff rating.

17. r1z1a

r1z1a Regular Member

sounds good to me sine i play mostly doubles well about 80% and i tend to be more of a counter atack and like to play fast tempo and force errors so light and speedy racket is my type...

though i mostly play with cab30ms (which isnt really that light) after my NS9900 broke..

and today i think the cab is done in too got hit by the other player in the doubles game right on the top the chip is massive and the paint job cracked up to the other side past the gromet... (ill be taking a pic and post it on forums to see what others think if its broken ie cracked - and can it be repaired and also is it worth repairing it if not ill just leave it as a display cos i love it so much (was my first racket i brought))

just one question how is it feel balance wise even or more head heavy
    and the stifness is it allright or just bit to floppy

either way thanx for the review seems like it might be a good buy and its not to expensive =/ (so if i like it might just get 2 or 3 so incase they break i ahve back up ones :D )

18. allyjack110

£50.00 seems a bit excessive for a delivery charge, even if it is overseas. You are based in Switzerland right? Then you might want to consider 'TennisNuts'. I have bought a lot of badminton gear from them in the past and have always been very impressed with their service; reasonably priced too. I have double-checked and they do deliver to Switzerland; £6 if your order is under 1kg and £25 if it exceeds a Kg. They stock the Superlight 99 for 70.99 which equates to around 102. CHF per racket. I've pasted the link below.

http://www.tennisnuts.com/shop/badm...ashaway-superlight-99sq-badminton-998329.html

19. r1z1a

r1z1a Regular Member

hmm looks good thank you.
    i wonder though what do they define as weight (with box that they put it all in or not.)

cos i gues 2 rackets and 30 yy overgrips will be less than 1kg but in box with all the bubble wrap ect it will probly be over 1kg - i gues best option would be just to play it safe and get over 1kg option.

on side note
    Anyone know what the stock strings and tensions are. (i gues either way ill ahve to re-do them when i get them)

20. Badderz_Alpha

Badderz_Alpha Regular Member

with regards to the weight, a racket, racket cover and bubble wrap in a "racket box" usually weighs around 0.5-0.6kg ....