In the bag for 10yrs - will it need restrung?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Sean Kelly, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Sean Kelly

Sean Kelly New Member

Computers'n'stuff
    Got back into the game after a break of 10yrs. Yay!

My old Yonex Isometric 150 Long still seems to work ok but it's been in the bag in the attic for 10yrs and was played with for a couple of years before I stopped. It's never been restrung from time of purchase.

I can't really tell if the tension is good or bad (really bad at estimating things by touch/feel). Would the tension have degraded over time? Would it be advisable to get it restrung anyway? I've also never been sure how "good" the Iso 150 is as a racket - would restringing really be economical? Whilst I'm not a pro, I am intending at getting back to a decent club match level so am willing to invest in something "better" but don't just want to buy something new because it's cool or fashionable or whatever (also appreciate this may not be the exact place to ask that last bit...).

Thanks in advance,

Sean.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    string do lose tension over time so while it is still "playable" re-stringing it will give it a fresh feel. i suggest a decent string like Yonex BG80 @ 23lbs .

3. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    It will probably break on its own soon anyways. If it plays well for now and you can't tell the difference, just use it until it snaps. My advice is if you want to go club level, you might want to invest in more backup rackets!

4. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    I stored my racket for close to 10yrs before starting badminton again.
    I really didn't care what tension it was because I had to concentrate so hard to just get back up to a decent level. Used the racket for 6 months before finally saying "this is too soft" and restringing it.

My thinking is if I don't play for 10yrs and hit a shot out, I call that being rusty, and not because my strings are too loose.